Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in December 08's magazines due out 6th November?

edited November 2008 in - WM and WN
Who's in December 2008's magazines? The magazines are due out on 6th November, so DON'T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and which page; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Remember: if mentioning a story, don't give the ending away.

Comments

• My goodness is it that time again there still bits i havent read from the last mag better get craking lol.xx
  • Today's the day!
  • My WF arrived yesterday. Still have last month's to finish.
  • The post has arrived and no WM or WN!!! :(

...maybe I'm just a little impatient... ;)
  • edited November 2008
    Mine have just arrived:)

anyone else have theirs yet then?
  • Just arrived 5 minutes ago - phew! I have run out of books to read. Must get round to trying Neil Gaiman. Looking forward to spotting any Tbers as I eat my lunch.
  • Chippy 13, we can commiserate with one another. My magazines were not in the post today either.
  • Just got mine! Not letting myself look at it until I've done today's writing quota - how's that for self-discipline? :)
  • Yes, mine arrived, and it was also in WH Smith's.
  • Treleaven - Funny you should mention Neil Gaiman today. I'm reading a book of travellers' tales from various centuries and one of them mentions Gaiman as the capital of Welsh Patagonia.
  • Mine has arrived, together with the Writers' Forum. As I have a very bad cold and cough at the moment, they've cheered me up and I have a good excuse for taking time to read them. Luckily, I cooked two days' lunches yesterday, so don't have to feel guilty.
  • Hope you feel better soon.
  • I got mine to:D
  • Got mine today. Quick flick through did not reveal anyone I recognised. Is this going to be a lean month for talkbackers?
  • Mine arrived earlier today but I've not had time to even scan throught them yet. Hope to look at them this evening. :P
  • mine arrived but flat out busy, not had a chance to look through, and am out again later, delivering books to a customer.
  • Mine aren't here!!! Why not? Who has them?
  • The same person who has mine no doubt!
  • A Writers'newsnapper!
  • Mine came today.
  • I don't get it any more.

:(
  • Didn't see any familiar names.
  • I got mine this morning but have only had a cursory glance at one or two pieces - got too much on to indulge.
  • I've skimmed through both - didn't find much to really grab me. I'll go back later and have another go. Is it me, or is there always a letter from someone who is procrastinating, and always a query letter from someone who doesn't know what to write?!
  • You could have a point there...
  • Mine arrived today, had a quick glimpse through it.

Didn't do any good on the green door story, anyone else have any luck.
  • [quote=treleavenl]is there always a letter from someone who is procrastinating, and always a query letter from someone who doesn't know what to write?! [/quote]

I always find there is someone who wants to argue with their 'customer' ie the person they are trying to sell thier latest masterpiece to, and I wonder if they ever realise that that is not the way to succeed in business. Let's face it, we may be in the business of writing, but we are all also in the business of SELLING our work, hopefully to the highest bidder, so it doesn't make sense to antagonise potential customers.
  • If anyone sees anything written by me, Nola (alias Kangaroo) can you let me know please? Thankyou. We're up to September in Oz. I have a book review and a letter hopefully in there. The book is called 'Booked to Die' by John Dunning.
  • edited November 2008
    No book reviews by readers this month, and didn't see your name in the letters page, so perhaps it will be the January issue next month.
    Stuart Palmer has done his annual writing turkeys- (p32 wm). Brilliant! :)
  • Yes and there is a bit about writing prologues on pages 14 and 15 of WM :)
  • Had a flick through it havent had time to sit a study it yet .
  • loved the writing turkeys, they are SO good and bring me back to my usual cry, 'where was the editor?'
    I think I have a letter in the January issue but didn't spot any names I knew in the December ones.
  • The writing turkeys were brilliant - made me laugh out loud. I loved the one about the chicken in the tree (???????) and 'Even Eternal Wanderings must come to an end' - duh! My favourite, though, was the one that said, 'She stiffened imperceptibly, but he didn't see it.' I wanted to scream, 'WELL, HE WOULDN'T, WOULD HE???'
  • Yes, that was great- a real hoot.
    I thought this one took the biscuit:
    'And then he was fully socketed to her, like a pipe wrench in a crock of warm chilli.'
  • How erotic is that, then, Carol? ;)
  • [quote=Carol]Stuart Palmer has done his annual writing turkeys- (p32 wm). Brilliant! [/quote]

I laughed out loud while I was reading, which must have seemed odd, as I was on the toilet at the time... (sorry to confess to toilet reading, but what else are you supposed to do - stare into space?).

My favourite was '... his face went darker than usual. "Now they all think I'm yellow.'"
  • My magazines are still not here! =(
  • Oh chippy, what a shame. :( Maybe they'll arrive tomorrow. :)
  • Sorry to hear your magazines have not arrived, Chippy13. Mine finally arrived today but haven't yet managed to give them mor than a cursory glance Hope for chance over the weekend.
  • Aargh! Mine still aren't here...I'll give it until Tuesday and then I'll make enquiries/complaints...that should be sufficient time to find out if they are going to appear or not...

It's either that or someone has hidden them from me! :rolleyes:
  • Taken from page 43 of Writing Magazine:

"Agents need to have no special literary background ..."
  • edited November 2008
    No wonder they (some) turn so many good writers down...
  • This must be a record - days after the magazines come out and not one talkbacker claiming to be in them. Where are we all? Time we took the mags by storm, sent letters and members news items, and won the competitions, to reclaim the magazines as ours!!!
  • Hi Carol, thanks for that. I haven't given up hope.....:-)
  • There might be some TBers in the magazines. If they're only known by pseudonyms on TB we wouldn't recognise their real names!
  • Well from the names we do know, there doesn't seem to be anyone. And usually by now we would have heard.
    I have an idea for a letter.
  • I have an idea for a letter too.
  • It might be the same idea! ;)