Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Stephen Fry - Radio 4 - Tuesday am

edited August 2009 in - Reading
Did anyone listen to Stephen Fry's programme about the English language this morning? - It was very informative.

Comments

• His books are brilliant Betsie.
  • Yes, I stayed in bed this morning especially to listen to it.
  • Liz, which of his books would you suggest? I thought I'd enjoy them, but I read one (The Liar) and didn't like it.
  • Oh, I meant his writing books. An Ode Less Travelled.
  • No I missed it, is it available on listen again, if so what is it called??
  • It's called Fry's English Delight and it is available for another six days. I'm listening to it now on the computer here in Bangkok!
  • Emma if you go to the RadioIPlayer and click on Radio 4 you just click on that programme in the alphabetical list.
  • [quote=LizB]Oh, I meant his writing books. An Ode Less Travelled. [/quote] Ah! Thanks. Is it about poetry, or all forms of writing?
  • Ah, Stephen Fry - if treacle on toast could speak, it would have a voice like Stephen Fry. I could happily listen to him all day long, be it digressing on the nuances of the English language, or reading aloud Harry Potter - utter joy. And jolly interesting, too.
    The only other writer/broadcaster to make our mother tongue sound so inviting is Bill Bryson.
  • Poetry I'm afraid. It is THE Ode Less traveled actually I think... It's not a read through book it's a dip into. It's very clear explanations of what metre its etc.
  • I love Stephen Fry - I love Bill Bryson - and the other voice that is very listenable to is Anna Massey. Bill Bryson's Notes From a Small Island is being read at the mo on BBC 7 on DAB radio - I hear it in the middle of the night but I think it's on at a more sociable hour too.