Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A greeting from your third Talkback Moderator

Comments

• So we've got Webbo who's really a Jon but called Webbo and Jon who's both called and actually Jon and a techie but doesn't say much and Tam who isn't a Jon and also not a mathmatical genius? (If challenged, I'm going to blame one of the three for deleting my punctuation in that)
  • Isn't there a law against deleting punctuation?
  • Is it Newton's Laws of Motion which state that "Action and re-action are equal and opposite"? Definitely applicable here ;) .
  • Ah yes, that's the geezer.
  • Phot's Moll said: (If challenged, I'm going to blame one of the three for deleting my punctuation in that)

Ah but you've given us an example of how to write a sentence that scans well without punctuation.

p.s. who says my name's not Jon too? ;)

Tam
  • perhaps we should all change our user names to jon - we could add a full stop or exclamation mark or numbers to differentiate all the jons.
  • [quote=Mutley]perhaps we should all change our user names to jon - we could add a full stop or exclamation mark or numbers to differentiate all the jons. [/quote]

I bagsy being *~Jon~* .
  • But you're not *~Jon~* !

We'd better get back on topic or Jon or Jon or Jon too might come and moderate us. I've heard it can be rather painful, especially in triplicate.
  • That's because there's a 'trip' in triplicate.
  • Witty lot aren't you?

I'm not really another Jon - I'm Tam, call me Tam - or you'll confuse me too. :)
  • We try.
    Tam you will be then. :)
  • edited February 2010
    Are you Scottish? Would you be related to Tam O Shanter? ;)
  • I'm Jon and so's my wife
  • Now that must be really confusing.

Do you have kids called Jon, too?
  • Wow... Jonquil? Jonelle?
  • That would be confusing! No... John, Dzhon and Joan ( I think I might have to start moderating myself at this rate!)
  • [quote=Webbo]I think I might have to start moderating myself at this rate!) [/quote]

You see, Jon, that's how it happens. Getting off topic I mean. We're just too damn entertaining for our own good. ;)
  • I have just sent a whisper to Webbo asking him to stop highjacking my thread.

Tam
  • :)
    Ah, :) you are all getting the hang of it then...
  • Perhaps the three moderators are all the same person. Well, one writer may have different names because of his/her/its different types/style of writing.
  • I wanted to change my name to TalkbackModerator, but someone's taken that ID. I'm most put out. (quote from Jane Austen.)
  • edited February 2010
    Is Jane Austen a member of TB? ;)
  • Not yet, but you never know. Maybe we should all change our names to those of famous authors! That could be fun.

Nice to see the mods are getting with the flow here - we'll soon have 'em as batty as us!
  • In that case I bagsy Aldous Huxley. He's ma favourite.
  • Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Am I Thomas Hardy or Paulo Coelho?
  • Very nice, but how do you pronounce that, Nena?
  • [quote=Webbo]I'm Jon and so's my wife [/quote]
    :D Drats! You beat me to it, Webbo. A Monty Python fan?

Hijacking this for a mo:
    Did you know that in Bali, Indonesia, there is a naming system where only four names are used? The first born, whether male or female is called "Wayan", (pron: Way-arn. Yan, for short), the second is always named "Made," (Pron: Mardi), third is "Nyoman" or Komang (Pron: Norman or No-marn. Man or Mang for short), and fourth is "Ketut" (Pron: Kar toot. Often elided to Tut).

If there is a fifth child, he/she is called Wayan again as it goes back to the start. So in actual fact, there very easily could be a mother, father and two children all in the one family with the same name. END OF HIJACK. :)
  • [quote=Dwight]Very nice, but how do you pronounce that, Nena? [/quote]

It's easy, Dwight. Tom-ass Har-dee.

(As for the other, I have no idea. He's very hard to ask for in bookstores - but well worth the effort.)

Island Girl - what happens in Indonesia if you have twins?
  • Don't ask silly questions!
  • [quote=Nena]what happens in Indonesia if you have twins?[/quote]

Don't know. I guess the names apply in order of birth even in the case of minutes apart.
  • What about quins - would there be two Wayans? (In Scotland there would be five weans!)
  • I'm Miss Twot. The o is a silent a but sounded out. I've never understood this joke.
  • Joke? ;) I don't even understand the sentence!
  • Yeah makes no sense. Sorry.
  • Very funny, Nena ;)

Has this thread been hi-jacked or wot?
  • Definitely wot.
  • How's wot this is? Though really?
  • lol, I wondered how long it would be before the hijack - eh wot.
  • But none of this really counts as 'highjacking' because this isn't a discussion thread. You've welcomed me and now you're chatting - no problem.

Tam
  • The man in our post office says 'No problem'.
  • So far from being a hi-jackers paradise, this is a hi-jack that is not a hi-jack. To the uninitiated it may well look like a hi-jack, read like a hi-jack and feel like a hi-jack, but in truth it isn't really a hi-jack at all, because there's actually nothing to hi-jack. So therefore its un-highjackable!

Great! :)

(well it amused me)
  • [quote=Stan2]The man in our post office says 'No problem'.[/quote]
    So the mystery is solved. Tam must be the man from Stan's post office!
  • You mean you have a post office!!!!!
  • We do. But the situation in Bristol is dire. Lunchtime sometimes it takes an hour for Pete to post a parcel. It's mad.
  • Yes, we have a post office in a small town of about 5,000 people. And the man in our post office is named Peter.

As to PaulT's posting - groan! ;)
  • hey, i've made it - i got a groan!
  • And, following FT's deduction, Tam's real name is Peter!