Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Line-spacing for email submissions?

edited July 2010 in Writing
I'm sure someone here will know the answer to this.

When sending an article by email attachment to a newspaper or magazine, do you still double-space the document? If they're going to read it on the screen, then I would have thought single spacing would make the task easier. Or do they still print them out? Don't suggest I ask for guidelines btw - Ireland doesn't really do them. I'm not trying to impress them as they've already agreed to the article, but I'd like to look as though I knew what I was doing!

Comments

• I've always sent stuff as a word document as an attachment... and formatted it the usual way.
  • I prefer single spacing, as an editor.
  • A lot of places ask for double spacing but I think it looks strange on the screen and in fact more dofficult to read than single spacing. Not much help from me there then ! But if they don't have guidelines I would suggest you do it how YOU think it looks best.
  • The trouble is if you send stuff in the body of the mail it depends on how the person you are sending it to has their mail account set up, how it appears to them.
  • Liz, the article will be sent as an attachment. The only question is whether the attached document is best formatted as single or double spaced.
  • Almost everywhere I know asks for double spacing for fiction, even in attachments.
    I don't know about non-fiction, but I would go for double as I would expect them to print it out.
    If they didn't say, and they've already agreed to it, I wouldn't worry that much - it's an easy thing to change on screen if they have a preference.
  • If it's going as an attachment then I'd use double spacing, if in the body of an e-mail single.
  • pity you can't ask. As an attachment to an email I ask for single spacing, it's impossible to read on screen otherwise without so much scrolling it gets silly. You also get a better idea of how much space the item will take up if it is single spaced. Not everyone wants to print them out, the idea of email attachments is you save paper.
  • I have just read the module on presentation. I believe they said that if it is an attachment, and for a magazine or newspaper, then it must be double spacing. If it is in the main body of the e-mail, then the spacing doesn't matter.

But Dorothy disagrees with me on this one.
  • go with the guidelines, I only say what I ask for, because I work directly onto the screen.
  • I use double spacing in attachments - single in the body of the e-mail, as Carol said. If they don't like it they can change it on screen.
  • Thanks everyone. I will use double spacing. But I will also ask in the email that if they prefer a different format to let me know for future articles.

Febes, glad to hear they've brought the Module work books up to date since I began the course. Mine hardly mention email.
  • For future reference everybody.
    Just to reinforce a caution about submission content directly in an e-mail.
    [quote=febes]If it is in the main body of the e-mail, then the spacing doesn't matter.
    [/quote]
    [quote=Carol]if in the body of an e-mail single[/quote]

As Liz advises:
    [quote=Liz!]The trouble is if you send stuff in the body of the mail it depends on how the person you are sending it to has their mail account set up, how it appears to them. [/quote]
    Even "ordinary" typing will often arrive in a different format to that which You thought it had been composed. I learnt to my cost, years ago, that between pasting samples of a formatted story; electronic shuffling through wires of communication; the end result may lose some or all of the intended paragraph and spacing format.

Always safest to send anything which requires specific format by attachment.
  • Yes, agree with Jan.
    As for articles in general - it really does depend on what the editor wants. I've have some ask for single spacing, no paragraph indents to others that want double spacing with paragraph indents.
    Since you're already in contact with your editor (who has already agreed to your article), Mct1 why can't you ask how he/she wants it formatted?
  • Just to say thanks again for all who gave advice. I did, in fact, email the editor a query but she didn't reply, so I sent the article single spaced in an Word attachment. She must have been happy enough as it was printed today - on paper and online - without any editorial changes.

If any health professionals here are interested in the research evidence for acupuncture in migraine or chronic headache, I can post you a web link.
  • Sometimes I send something in the body of the e-mail AND as an attachment - not everyone likes opening attachments. Then you could offer a choice of single or double spacing.
  • Good idea, Jay. I know many publishers and agents won't open attachments if they are initial submissions. I guess many are OK with them once they know you.
  • congratulations, MCT1!
  • Well done MCT1.
  • [quote=mct1]If any health professionals here are interested in the research evidence for acupuncture in migraine or chronic headache, I can post you a web link.[/quote] -

could you post the link please, mct1? I'd be interested to read it both from a professional perspective and as someone who has had acupuncture for migraine.

Congratulations on publication! :)
  • Thanks CC. Here's the link. http://www.imt.ie/clinical/2010/08/acupuncture-for-migraine-and-chronic-headache.html
  • yes, well done MCT.