Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

List of WM book reviews?

edited July 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Now that the summer holidays are upon us, and I have more time to actually WRITE stuff, it occurred to me to do a book review for the Writer's Magazine.  Is there any way of finding out if a book's already been done?  I do not keep back issues, and have only been subscribing for a few months anyway.
  • That would be very useful - I have a couple in the pipeline.

Alan
  • July 2007

The Secret History
    The Historian
    Castaway Christmas
    The Assassin's Cloak.

Can someone do June's, then someone else do May's, etc? I don't think the readers' reviews section has been going for very many months.
  • This feature began in Nov 2006. here are the books so far:
    Nov - Wind in the Willows, The Warden, In Cold Blood, The Bear that Wasn't, The Secret Garden, The Custard Boys, Ross Poldark, The Lilac Bus.
    Dec - Three men in a Boat, Do Androids dream of elecrric sheep?, Lost Horizon, A Simple Heart,
    Jan - Weaveworld, the Blind Assassin, Tarzan of the Apes, Gone with the wind.
    Feb - The Accidental, The Grapes of Wrath, the Ghost Road, A Spot of Bother.
    March - Legend, Never let me go, the Diving bell and the butterfly, Small Island.
    April - The King Must Die, The Dubliners, Crime and Punishment, Mr Golightlys Holiday.
    May - Mistress Masham's Repose, 47, Seize the Hour: when Nixon met Moo, Focus.
    June - I am a Cloud, the Ringed Castle, I Capture the Castle, The Magic Toyshop.

Well, that took a while! Sorry I didn't list the authors too, but that should be a good enough list to make sure you don't repeat a review that they've already done.
  • That's excellent, thanks so much!
  • I assume that should have been "When Nixon met Mao". Nonetheless, I have this bizarre mental image of him standing in the middle of a field somewhere and giving his "I have never been a quitter" speech to some random bovine...
  • August 2007

Something in Siberia
    We Need to Talk About Kevin
    Half of a Yellow Sun
    My Family and Other Animals
  • Nearly forgot.

September 2007

Atonement by Ian McEwan
    Altered States by Anita Brookner
    A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute
  • October 2007

On Beauty by Zadie Smith
    Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
    The Druid King by Norman Spinrad
  • November 2007

Seems to have been discontinued.
  • If you fancy reviewing mine I could always do with the extra publicity !
  • Wonder if it proved too popular?
    Or did they just want the space for something else?
  • Looks like it's back.

March 2008

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
    The Mitfords: Letters Between Six Sisters by Charlotte Mosley
    The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
  • December 2007

The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng
    Flambards Trilogy by KM Peyton
    I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson
  • Just thought I'd bring this up to the top.
  • Thanks Jay :-)
  • Thanks Jay :)
  • September 2008

The Distance Between Us by Maggie O'Farrell (star review - earns £25)
    The Baroque Trilogy by Neal Stephenson
    On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan