Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in November 10's magazines out now?

edited September 2010 in - WM and WN
Who's in November 2010’s magazines? The magazines are out now!

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and which page; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Remember: if mentioning a story, don't give the ending away.

Comments

• I just got mine - much to my surprise, this early - and have already spotted one name I recognise.
  • Thoughts on the top Flash on page 7 of Writers' News, please.
  • They do something similar in Writers Forum. Not something I would submit to - I prefer to keep any criticisms of my work as private as possible!

Anyone else feel like suggesting that this month's Editor's Letter should have been included in the 'Red Editing Pen' slot?
  • Heather, you have principles! Still, apparently there's only one reader. :)
  • I didn't renew my sub, so won't be suggesting anything. One of the reasons I didn't renew was because of an awful typo a few months ago.
  • Mine has arrived, but haven't opened it yet- will over lunch.
  • November already?? Where did October go - did I miss it?
    Hopefully, my copy is awaiting me when I get home today (having a sneaky tb visit in my lunch break at work!)
  • Mine arrived this morning as well. I'm still reading last month's!
  • re the Lady's voucher for best letters- I just put the address given in the flash on page 10 and it came up with Alaska Comprehensive Health Insurance Association...
  • Alaska? Didn't realize you lived there, Carol!
  • Me neither...;)
  • a holiday home perhaps!

can't believe we're into November issue, I'm wondering where January went
  • I got mine to just going away to read it.
  • Someone was shortlisted in the Adult Fairy Story ... I'm waiting for her to tell you herself ...
  • Carol - maybe WN is having a laugh!
  • Or someone made a typo...

Did anyone notice the snippet (my favourite word of the day) in WN, p7 Flashes- the top item.
  • OK, Ceka, I confess. I was shortlisted in the Adult Fairy Story. It was some consolation for not getting through to Round 2 of the Mills & Boon New Voices competition, although with only ten chosen out of 824, I don't feel too bad about that!
  • Well done Montholon!
  • Saw your name Montholon, well done.
  • Well done, Montholon!
  • Haven't opened mine yet, but well done Montholon!
  • edited September 2010
    Mine arrived today. I've not had time to open the wrapping yet.
  • I like the colours used on some of the pages, and layout is better on some of them.
  • That's jolly good Montholon. I thought by jove this is early when I picked up WN/WM from the welcome mat this morning.
  • edited September 2010
    [quote=B Darter]I thought by jove this is early when I picked up WN/WM from the welcome mat this morning[/quote]

Not the only one. I thought I was seeing things...:)

Not complaining though.
  • Nor am I.
  • edited September 2010
    [quote=heather]Anyone else feel like suggesting that this month's Editor's Letter should have been included in the 'Red Editing Pen' slot?[/quote]
    Wish I could say I was just testing you!
    Lesson #1 - don't get so distracted by trying to say 10,000 things in 200 words that you completely forget how to write.

[quote=Carol]re the Lady's voucher for best letters- I just put the address given in the flash on page 10 and it came up with Alaska Comprehensive Health Insurance Association...[/quote]
    www.achica.com, not www.achia.com as given.
  • Congrats Montholon!
  • [quote=Webbo]heather wrote: Anyone else feel like suggesting that this month's Editor's Letter should have been included in the 'Red Editing Pen' slot?
    Wish I could say I was just testing you!
    Lesson #1 - don't get so distracted by trying to say 10,000 things in 200 words that you completely forget how to write. [/quote]

Webbo, we are all only human, so mistakes are going to happen and generally readers will accept that.

This is a writing mag, read by writers, it's always going to be read thoroughly and the teeniest of tiny mistakes pointed out to you.

But, if you're not top of your game, 99.9999% of the time:

[quote=Baggy Books]One of the reasons I didn't renew was because of an awful typo a few months ago. [/quote]

then why should people believe yours is the better mag to choose from all the others on the newstands?
  • [quote=dora] it's always going to be read thoroughly and the teeniest of tiny mistakes pointed out to you.[/quote]
    Of course, Dora, and I wouldn't have it any other way... I just wish we made a lot fewer, for exactly this reason:[quote=dora]why should people believe yours is the better mag to choose from all the others on the newstands?[/quote]
  • Hi
    have just received my writers magazine, and I am mentioned again as short listed in the adult fairy story competition, getting closer to runner up or even first place, will keep on trying you never know, but happy all the same.
  • Well done, montholon and jennymf!

And webbo too, for being so graceful!
  • Congratulations Montholon!
  • Yes you're getting closer Jennymf. Next time first prize.

Well done.
  • Well done Jennymf.

Sympathies Webbo, it is impossible to be perfect we know, and errors do occur when there are deadlines to hit.

I'll put the web address error in 'The Lady', Flash information down to someone else then...;)
  • Well done Montholon and Jennymf!
  • Well done Jennymf.
    I really enjoyed reading the winning adult fairy story.
  • I saw Montholon, well done to you and Jennymf. Yes I thought it was a good story too.
  • Well done Month and Jenny! I really enjoyed the winning story, apart from the strange dialogue attributes, which I think were a mistake rather than 'interesting'. For example:

"I really enjoyed the winning story."
    Said Lou.

The letters page was so much better than usual; it was really good to read some intelligent, thoughtful responses rather than the usual, "I can't think of anything to write!" or "I'd rather do all my housework than write a single word!"
  • Well done Montholon and Jennymf!
  • I agree Lou - it was a curious device, which I felt sometimes worked quite well but might have been more successful used sparingly, rather than for every attribution. (I also subbed them out first time through, then had to put them all back!)
    "Glad you liked the letters page – I'm trying to make it meatier but, of course, I rely on the quality of what you all send me!"
    He hinted.
  • "I found it put me off, rather."
    She remarked.
  • We'll try to think of something to send you Webbo...
  • Who's "Anna" in the Writers' News story?
  • Maybe a change of 'prize' for the letters page - a 2010 market guide this late in the year isn't much of an incentive as most will already be buying their 2011 copy.
  • a market guide is not the best prize anyway. I still have the Fisher Space Pen WN sent and that is a tremendous gift. Much better than a market guide that is out of date before it even goes to print.
  • What about the ad on p21 of WN - anyone fancy entering the Impress 2008 Prize for non fiction? A book on time travel might stand a good chance...
  • oh for goodness' sake, and I just resubscribed, too ...
  • We're just in the middle of sorting out a new star letter prize... and suspect it might be time to stop certain advertisers repeating their copy without changes!
    Welcome back Dorothy. I hope you find the mags useful again