Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Creative Writing Courses/Worskhops - Can you have too many of them?

edited October 2010 in Writing
Whenever I get to hear about Creative Writing courses or workshops I feel I should sign up for them. I have done home study courses with the OCA, day workshops that cost a few pounds, whole day course which was quite expensive. I have done a whole term course at a local Adult Education Centre and a free six week course with the local library which I have to say was very good. This summer I did a six week course which I had misgivings about at first but I have to say it was one of the best I have attended, it covered plot, structure, voice, show and tell, character. I almost always enjoy them but I wonder how other Tbers feel, is there a time to call a halt or keep going?

Comments

• Entirely personal choice I'd have thought, if you feel you'd benefit in some way by signing up for one, then perhaps you should. If you think you've exhausted all reason for going on one, then do something different.
  • If nothing else, BD, you enjoy the courses and they probably inspire you to keep writing.
  • Only you can know the answer BD.
  • As Carol says only you can know. That is if you feel you have reached the limit on all you can take from the course or courses. They are very handy for setting up deadlines and keeping you in that discipline. They are great for motivation and obviously learning more about the subject.

The worry would be that if you do too much learning you won't do enough doing.

To paraphrase that old line, 'Those who can't do teach, those who can't teach learn and those who want to achieve just do it.'
  • I agree with Jenny and others, BD. I certainly need more input to improve my writing base. I'd love an Arvon course (if they'd have me) but it's the expense which is forbidding. Same with an OU course in creative writing.
  • Yes, I'd say the occasional workshop can rejuvenate your enthusiasm for writing and it's good to meet up with the other people on the course
  • If you can afford them go I say. I have been on three now ,two Swanwick and one Winchester, and I always find they help stimulate my writing and I have made new friends there too, I hope I can go on another next year I have started saving.
  • I tend to avoid them, BD, because they eat into writing time, so the choice is, do you want to go on learning or commit yourself totally to writing?
  • I don't see why the two need to be mutually exclusive and if you feel the need for some help to develop as a writer there's no shame in doing a course or reading a book on the subject. I'd be careful and research carefully what's out there though. Many midlist authors and academics boost their income by teaching this way, but not all of them are ideally qualified for the task. Some can be inspirational but I've also heard it said they can do a lot of damage and put people off writing.

Although writing is a craft which you can learn it is also an art form which cannot really be taught once you get past the basics. Reading a lot is probably the best teacher, and it's fine to imitate the masters at first until you find your own voice.

For myself, I tend to read books on the subject - it's easier to throw a book at the wall than it is a teacher!
  • [quote=SilentTony]To paraphrase that old line, 'Those who can't do teach, those who can't teach learn and those who want to achieve just do it.'[/quote]

This saying always sends me into a quandary as I feel like I have "been there done that" with all 3 areas - so where did you go from there ?
    As FT says, perhaps it's not a case of being a linear thing at all. If we go on courses, teach a bit, learn a bit, do a bit perhaps we can mix and match as we feel at the time ... a bit like putting our life on "shuffle" rather than "loop"

(Hope this makes sense BD. I am bit too much "shuffled" at the minute ! )
  • FT, they are exclusive if, as Barbara says:
    I have done home study courses with the OCA, day workshops that cost a few pounds, whole day course which was quite expensive. I have done a whole term course at a local Adult Education Centre and a free six week course with the local library which I have to say was very good. This summer I did a six week course ..

That is a lot of courses. The question is - can any more be learned or is it time to put all that learning into practice? If Barbara was starting out, I would say yes, go on a course but this far advanced, does she need it or would the encouragement of a writing group be better???
  • Lexia I guess it is a matter of improving and climbing in some or all of the three.
  • If you enjoy them, go for it. I love them, too. A chance to spend time with other writers doing smoething you love. But if you're just going to improve your writing, I'd say you probably have all the knowledge you need, now!
  • I love courses! After being published for a while I wanted to try different genre, and as i knew I'd just stick to the same one and never take the plunge into another unless forced, I did an MA in writing for children in 2006/7.

Not only did it give the reason and support to try new genres, I improved in my own by about 1,000 times. I don't think you can ever stop learning as a writer as it is a craft which changes all the time, and you want to be on the leading edge, not the trailing one.

So my advice would be yes, take courses if you feel like it, but do ones which stretch you. You won't regret it.

Dwight, I thought you just pay for Arvon courses? They don't make you send work do they?
  • Thanks for your input everyone. I tend to think that I will learn something new but just lately I feel I should leave courses alone at least for a while and as Dorothy says, do you want to go on learning or commit yourself to writing? I think the latter and that I should knuckle down and get on with it.
    I do belong to a writing group, the members are very encouraging.