Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Published again thanks to Writers' News

edited November 2010 in - WM and WN
Six years ago I saw a piece in Writers' News from a publishing company called Need2Know who wanted authors for self-help books. I sent a proposal for a bullying book and they wanted to publish it. Bullying - A Parent's Guide came out in 2005. Now I have another book coming out called Caring for Your Dog: The Essential Guide. It will be out on Dec 1st 2010 and will be available as an electronic book, a large print book and a normal print book. I am so excited. More so because the book is dedicated to my beloved dog Vic who sadly passed away a year ago after a courageous battle with epilepsy. He was 13 and a half.

My story just goes to show that looking through WN every month can get you published.

Has anyone else been published as a result of something they read in WN or WM?

I am now working on a crime novel and have set up a blog called Ramblings of a Frustrated Crime Writer at http://ramblingsofafrsutratedcrimewriter.blogspot.com

I hope you'll drop by, as its so lonely being a writer as we all know.

Comments

• Wonderful news!
  • Congratulations.
  • Thanks Baggy Books. I appreciate it.
  • well done you!
  • Sorry to hear about your dog - he must have been quite a determined character.

Well done on your new book. I hope it does well.
  • Thanks Jenny for saying that. He was and although he had epilepsy he always lived live to the full. We live on an island and its paradise for dogs.
  • I think Daisy had a book published with them too.

Well done on both the book and blog (we have a thread just for blog updates which you can add too).
  • Well done, Jenthom! Mine was as a result of a piece in WN's stable-mate, Writers Mag. It was an article about Hilary Dixon's novel "When Ravens Speak of Love" (great novel btw) being published by Solidus. I thought the publisher sounded pretty good so I queried right away and about four months later had a contract to publish. So my novel "Bunderlin" went live on their catalogue yesterday. Keep reading those mags, folks.
  • Well done, Jenthom. I saw a call for submissions in Writers' News last year from Bridge House Publishing for their animal anthology, Gentle Footsteps. My story wasn't accepted but as I'd done masses research on wolves in Ireland, I asked for feedback as I was very disheartened. The people at Bridge House were very encouraging and I wrote a short article in WN talking about the whole experience, as their response really spurred me on. As a result and a lot of hard work honing my writing skills by attending workshops and everyday practice, my second submission to them for a YA anthology - Demons, Devils and Werewovles - was accepted. The title is a separate thread on here and as a result of that, I found a fellow writer who appears in the anthology here on Talkbalk, so I've loads to thanks WN for! Oh yes, and I answered another call for a non-fiction parenting booklet last year and the editor replied saying he liked my writing style and asked me to submit a proposal (I'm still working on that one as I'm illustrating it also). As you Rivington says above, keep reading the mags, but make sure to take their advice on board!
  • Congratulations Jenthom!
  • [quote=Rivington]Mine was as a result of a piece in WN's stable-mate, Writers Mag[/quote] [quote=Rivington]Mine was as a result of a piece in WN's stable-mate, Writers Mag[/quote]

Well done Rivington. It's so hard to get published these days. Good luck with Bunderlin. What an interesting title. It would certainly make me want to read.
  • [quote=Seaview]I answered another call for a non-fiction parenting booklet last year and the editor replied saying he liked my writing style and asked me to submit a proposal[/quote]
    You should give that a go. When an editor says they like you're writing style they always mean it. Go for it.
  • WEll done, Jenthom (and Rivington)
  • Congratulations, Jen, but I'm sorry too to hear about Vic.
  • Congratulations - your perseverence has paid off
  • Jen, Seaview said

(I'm still working on that one as I'm illustrating it also)

So she hasn't let it go! Yes, follow advice but also follow your own instincts. My book was published through persistence rather than take notice of any agent or publisher and the entire series is now set with the person who took it on. Sometimes you have to buck the trend, as it were!
  • Well done. What an encouraging story.

I am very sorry to hear about your dog.
  • Well this is a lovely thread. Glad you're all finding some useful leads in WN!
    On a sadder note, Jenthom, have you received word from Need2Know? Is your book still going ahead?
  • [quote=Webbo]On a sadder note, Jenthom, have you received word from Need2Know? Is your book still going ahead?[/quote]

OooH. Don't like the sound of that, webbo. What do you know that we don't?
  • Unfortunately: http://www.writersnews.co.uk/writers_talkback/comments.php?DiscussionID=174872&page=1#Item_17
    Although people are telling me that N2K will continue, so sorry to have worried anyone unduly, especially Jenthom
  • Thanks, webbo
  • I'm still waiting for Need2Know to return my emails. I phoned and got no answer. I can't believe what's happened as I really needed the 2nd part of my advance (it was due on publication) and the royalties from my bullying book.

Need2Know are an imprint of Forward Press, which means if FP are out of business, so too are Need2Know unless someone buys the imprint.
  • [quote=Jenthom72]Has anyone else been published as a result of something they read in WN or WM? [/quote]

Many moons ago, when WN used to give out info on other countries (I can't remember what they called the slot), I followed up a NZ magazine lead and had an article accepted by them.
    I was disappointed when WN dropped that overseas slot because it was one of the most helpful for overseas subscribers. It was one of reasons why I've stopped subscribing.
  • We've had a right battle to get any official word through as well Jenthom. Got some confirmation now, but not much more than we already knew yet - it seems another company has now made an offer to honour Forward's existing poetry publication commitments. N2K are in a similar position. But what we can't yet establish is who and how - the important bits, unfortunately.

I'm sorry we had to drop the dedicated overseas coverage Claudia, mostly for reasons of space, but we do still feature worldwide markets as much as possible, and it's a shrinking planet with email submissions and web publication open to writers anywhere these days. Perhaps another element to think about reintroducing as the mags and this site evolve over the next few months.