Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

???

edited May 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Why didn't this website accept the words "Front Page" events? Very strange!
  • It does these odd things from time to time, Webbo doesn't know why either. At least that's what he tells us when we ask about these quirks.
  • "Page" isn't a euphemism for a rude word, is it?!! That could be awkward on a website for writers!
  • Blimey! I could have broken Talkback!!!!
  • Jenny!  Do you realise how many addicts you would have to answer to?????
  • Morning all,
    Actually Webbo does know.
    Jenny, try not to use quotation marks in the Topic. The " is used in code to open and close text entry boxes, so the first " told the system that there was no title.
    Best wishes
    Webbo
  • Thanks for the explanation, Webbo!
  • I should have realised you would know Webbo. Foolish individual I am, I must have been having an off day.
  • Sorry Amboline - I should have said thanks to you too!
  • Of-course, Webbo knows. He's the fount of all wisdom in Talkback.
  • Wisdom - they make toothbrushes, don't they?
  • Hello, I'm Olivia and I'm new, and I'd like to know something that everyone else will know.  What is an iPod?  It isn't in the Merriam Webster dictionary.  Also does anyone have the rather expensive (35 pounds) new Oxford Dictionary?  Has it really got all new words - would it have iPod for example, even though that is a computer term?  I'm thinking of buying it.  I live in Spain incidentally, and haven't got a pound sterling symbol on my computer. (I'm new to computers too).
  • Hello, I'm Olivia and I'm new, and I'd like to know something that everyone else will know.  What is an iPod?  It isn't in the Merriam Webster dictionary.  Also does anyone have the rather expensive (35 pounds) new Oxford Dictionary?  Has it really got all new words - would it have iPod for example, even though that is a computer term?  I'm thinking of buying it.  I live in Spain incidentally, and haven't got a pound sterling symbol on my computer. (I'm new to computers too).
  • Hallo Olivia! You'll like Talkback - it's got something for everyone, mad or sane!!
  • You can tell I'm new to computers, can't you?  I couldn't find you again.  All I could find was Submit Reply.  Oh dear.
  • Thanks for the tip, Dorothy.  I too will try to sign up for MSN Carta, though I'll not know what to do.  Perhaps I'll manage. I know now what an iPod is too.  Great
  • Hola Olivia, click 'submit' once and then click 'back' - lefthand top of screen, this will bring you back to Talkback categories again.
  • Hello Olivia.
  • Hola Stan2 and thanks for tip.
    Hola, Hush Puppy. 
    And, Dorothy, I see it's MSB Encarta and not MSN Carta.
        I'll visit again now I've found you.
  • Hello again. Another message from me.  I'm sure a most unusual query.  Can someone tell me the  name used now for a black person.  It has changed from 'negro' to 'coloured' to 'black', and these days I don't know what it is.  I don't want to offend anyone.  Its easy in U.S.  It's Afro American.  But in U.K ??  Is it still 'black'.  One cannot say 'Jamaican' for example. without knowing that the person is from Jamaica. 
    I've asked one or two people and they don't know.
    Of course 'Asian' covers the Asian community. 
  • Olivia - Usually it's OK to use the description 'black'. You can also describe people as  African or Caribbean, if you know their place of origin.

In the UK 'Asian' usually means people whose ethnic origins are in the Indian sub-continent. I think in the US it means people from Japan, China, etc.

As for Wales - the country was totally missed off the cover of a map book a while ago - and one of our American nephews thought it was an island off the coast of England!
  • He was partly right, Anglesey is an island off the coast of England, and it is Welsh. Okay, the most important bit was missing!
  • Thanks Jenny.  Funnily enough, in Writing Magazine there is a letter headed 'PC World' that more or less answers my query, though the writer goes on to say that 'black' seems to cover people of African, Asian even Oriental origin.  I don't agree with the "Asian even Oriental origin".  Certainly with me it doesn't.
    Anyway, there we are.
  • Hey!  Is everyone asleep out there?  No problems?  No successes, failures in writing?
    No irritations?  And I don't mean itchings.
    Has anyone had any successes in a small press?
    Or in a magazine?  Or a novel published? (height of success and hard work)  Is anyone trying, even, to write a novel?  I guess you're all trying to write stories one way or another.
    I'm trying short stories, but main problem is fiddling with them, can't seem to get them sent off.  I know, I fear rejection.  Had one story come back to me quicker than that.  Fact is there are only so many magazines to send to, and if you aim at one and it's rejected it won't suit another. So not really many outlets.
    Olive.
  • Thanks Tessa Tangent.  I saw your message the other day but was too 'shocked' to answer.  Find myself on this page? - I look for this page!  I get on www...talkback, then in the categories on the left I choose 'Writing Tales'  then I choose '???' on the next page.  This is because that's the one I started on and I've kept to it.
    When there's nobody replying I just take it nobody's written - maybe hols etc.
    As for categories on left of this page there´s just a blank highlighted strip, except words can faintly be made out, one of which is Talkback.    So am mystified.
    It says on first page that I'm 'logged on as Olivia' so I assume I've nothing to do.
    O.K - the computer's a mystery to me, sorry and all that.  Webbo can hardly help me, as I don't know enough computer jargon to be able to ask a question.
  • Just a correction.  The strip on the left of screen as I read your letter is entirely blank, that's what threw me.  It's on the 'Submit Reply' that 'Talkback' can be faintly seen.  I know that by clicking that I get all the categories - but of course I don't know which one(s) you refer to that have all those interesting things to say.
    Am I making things worse?  I'm not usually this garrulous, it's thia damned computer again.
    How brave of you to tackle a novel  I do hope  all goes well.  Short story writing is small beer in comparison.  I see today that I am short-listed in Writers News for their Novices Competition, so am slightly encouraged.
  • Morning Olivia,

At the top of your screen (when the grey slidey bit is against the triangle blob) you will see a rectangular line enclosing "Writers' News" on its left and "Home|Talkback|Edit profile|Register|Members' profiles" across its right.
    Below this are the boxes where you can type in "Your e-mail:" and "Password:" then the grey "Login" button and a box with a "tick" that appears/disappears when you left click your mouse button with its cursor over this square next to the words "Save? Forgotten Password?"

Place your mouse cursor (Yes, the little arrow that moves around your screen) over the word "Talkback" in this rectangle and left click. You will get back to the main talkback page showing all categories and can then choose to view any of the categories/topics available.

I do hope this helps. It may assist to print this, then you can refer to it as you attempt to follow the directions. There are more steps but they can wait until you master this bit.

Hoping to read you in other threads soon.
        Jan.