Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

WM Ghost Story competition

edited February 2011 in - Writing Tales
Yesterday I posted off my entry to the ghost story competition. It's only my fourth piece of fiction. I don't have high hopes of winning, but keeping my fingers crossed anyway!

Comments

• best of luck, DB!
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks Dorothy
  • Good luck, DB!
  • Good luck-you have to be in it to win it. I always try and enter these, especially WN as it's free. I find it's been a really good discipline to send something every month and I now keep a spreadsheet to tell me what I've sent where and even I'm impressed that I've sent off so many.

Keep it up :)
  • You never know DB - well done for sending it in. That's an achievement in itself!
  • Well done DB, hope it does well.
  • Good luck, DB !
  • Good luck with your story DB.
  • I have written a ghost story in a section called Fiction Fest on my blog, if you can log on, have a look at it, it is called Water Baby. Tell me if I ought to try and spice it up a bit. I changed some of the names of places a bit so hopefully it will not be identifiable. I would be interested to know if it is viable enough to enter the ghost writing competition. I suppose I can but try. I probably have too much narrative at the beginning. Please give me some indication at least.
  • I'm not sure if it will be eligible to enter if it's been on a public blog, Woll, as they may count that as 'published'.
  • Thank you, I will have a rethink, perhaps send it to an ezine or something like that. Needs some sorting out anyway but at least this along with my other submissions, has got me out of the closet.
  • [quote=heather]well done for sending it in. That's an achievement in itself! [/quote]

I agree!
  • [quote=heather]if it's been on a public blog, Woll, as they may count that as 'published'. [/quote]

Heather, I was wondering, if you have had something on a blog but reworked it so that although the storyline is the same, it is not the exact version as what was posted - does it still count as having been published?
  • Afraid I can't answer that, Seaview.
    Many comps have their own specific rules about whether online/blog publishing counts as published anyway, many (WM included) don't specify, they just say unpublished. It would be hard for them to be specific about an altered story because where/how would you draw the line?

If you're not sure then it's best to check with the specific comp in question, as some of them don't mind blog-published anyway.
  • well done DB and good luck with your entry
  • Well done Dene.

It's a major achiement to finish a story, yet managing to decide today is the day it gets sent off and actually doing that, is an achievement in itself. Good for you, and good luck.
  • [quote=dora]It's a major achiement to finish a story, yet managing to decide today is the day it gets sent off and actually doing that, is an achievement in itself. Good for you, and good luck. [/quote]

I drew on some personal experiences in part of the story - though not with ghosts, but something integral to the story.

The only problem with sending any piece of writing off is that soon afterwards improvements spring to mind!
  • every time, DB, every time ... did it yesterday ... fortunately I know the editor, so sent a note saying, if you like this enough to accept, can I send a slightly edited version in its place? Can't do that with a competition entry!