Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in May 2011's magazines due out soon?

Comments

• so that's what you look like Stan, congrats to you and the other person named
  • Well done katyanne just spotted you as well
  • edited April 2011
    Did someone call? I'm with Stan on page 18 of Writers' News (looks like they've dropped MN page numbering). I did send them a jpg of the book cover. Odd how they didn't use it. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Romance-2011-Richard-Labonte/dp/1573444286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302135588&sr=1-1

Well done, Stan and Kateyanne! (Maybe I should enter the poetry competition next time after all.)
  • Congraulations kateyanne and Stan.

Dorothy, I agree about this nonsense of sticking WN inside WM. I find it annoying as I want to read them separately, so I take them apart and usually get stabbed with those darn staples.
  • Haven't had to look at my magazines but well done to those that are mentioned.
  • Well done, Jay.
  • Well Done Stan, Kateyanne and Jay. My copy had arrived when I got in from work last night but after making dinner and then a cave-woman outfit for daughter to wear to school today (don't ask) I was a little too tired to read it! Will seek you all out later today.
  • Got mine. Saw the piece on Jay- well done.
    Must look at Stan's piccy.
  • Well done, Kateyanne :)
  • And well done Jay!
  • Yes, spotted your name, Kateyanne - well done. Haven't got to the WN bit yet (at normal speed that will take another two months) but well done Stan and Jay. I will now take a peek to see what you look like!
  • It was only when I saw the front cover that I remembered that I was looking forward to this one because of the Lee Child article.

Well done to all the TBers in there... I haven't actually started reading it yet though :rolleyes:
  • Well done, Jay!
  • Well done Jay.
  • Must look at Stan's piccy says Carol. Do you want to spoil your day?!
  • That's quite a reasonable photo of you Stan. :)
  • That's what I thought Carol, I was pleasantly surprised, Stan :)

I think you have matured well, dearest.
  • Well done, Jay!
  • yes well done Jay, well done Kateyanne.
  • Got my mag yesterday. Well done Stan, Kateyanne and Jay.
  • No pic of Jay? :-(
  • edited April 2011
    The camera lens broke. :) Thanks, everyone.
  • edited April 2011
    Page 26 Writing Magazine. I've read the information about the adult fairy story and can find nothing to stop me interpreting it in my own inimitable way. :)
  • Well done Jay. WN wouldn't be the same without you in it.
  • Page 72 Writing Magazine Fiction Focus mostly just quotes other people, but it's not listed under Interviews and Profiles in the Contents section.
  • got my copies, great pic of Stan! congratulations to all TBers who are in there.
    Lee Child says everything I have been preaching for years, read read read, then write. Stop thinking about how to books and write. Good one. Sensible advice from someone I admire. At least I found something to read!
  • edited April 2011
    Page 42 Writing Magazine Under the Microscope. I think I would have commented on the names - Lilly (not Lily) and Molly. Why a 'ringing' telephone (all right, I don't have a mobile phone)? Bed side should be only one word. Why "I think/thought" you need(ed) and not just you need? Why does "Go on?" have a question mark? There were other things not mentioned, but it was suggested these were cut, anyway.
  • And there's no letters page in Writers' News, although the one in Writing Magazine is longer than usual. Anyone wondering if the two magazines are going to be amalgamated?
  • It would seem a sensible move Jay.
  • they have to, this way is ridiculous!
  • Page 28 WM.

‘Well, yes,’ she said as the fresh faced complexion of a blonde haired man stared back at her.

Am I being pedantic? I think there should be a comma after ‘said’ and ‘blonde’ should be spelled ‘blond’ if it refers to a man.

‘Well, yes,’ she said, as the fresh faced complexion of a blond haired man stared back at her.

Or even:

‘Well yes,’ she said, as the fresh faced complexion of a blond haired man stared back at her.
  • More importantly, can a complexion stare?
  • You are right, Lou, I missed that one. I do like the story, it has a good ending.
  • edited April 2011
    My OH was looking at the front of Writing Magazine and said 'wow you can win £80,130. What do you have to do?'
    Anyone?
  • Perhaps they added up the amounts from all the competitions mentioned in both magazines...
  • Well done, Stan and Kateyanne! Although I haven't had a chance to read the mag, I spotted both of you.
  • Lovely photo and article, our Mr Stan's a clever man.

Well done too Jay and kateyanne.
  • edited April 2011
    Webbo – Are we allowed to interpret ‘fairy story’ in any way that pleases us? Also, is there any point in submitting an eligible story to more than one WM/WN competition? Is it at all possible that you may ‘lose’ one competition but win another?

WM Contents – I almost missed ‘On the cover’. It was only when I wondered what had happened to the Lee Child interview that I found it.

WM pages 11-13 - Facebook I’ve now found an explanation of the ‘like’ button. I received a Google Alert saying someone on Facebook liked The Dandelion Clock but I didn’t know what it meant. Is there a way of telling who posted the ‘like’?

WM pages 65 – Helpline Diana Cambridge writes: “It’s unlikely that a mainstream publisher would consider [the very short novel].” On page 67 – Grumpy Old Bookman Michael Allen writes: “Short digital books will prosper.”
  • Well done Stan and KateyAnne and .... The Other One whom I've spotted and MUST know he's there!
  • Well done Stan, Kateyanne and Jay!
  • I enjoyed the Lee Child interview.
  • that was the best part of the magazine! Jay, are you surprised Diana Cambridge is giving out wrong information again? She did it last time with her emphasis on headers footers and the like. BTW, there has been no acknowledgement of my email to her on that topic. But then, I regularly (monthly!) disagree with her advice!
  • Thank you all for your encouraging comments. THE WIFE took the photo!
  • Webbo, anyone - can you help with my queries of about 3 days ago? Thanks.
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]Webbo – Are we allowed to interpret ‘fairy story’ in any way that pleases us? Also, is there any point in submitting an eligible story to more than one WM/WN competition? Is it at all possible that you may ‘lose’ one competition but win another?[/quote]
    Of course Jay, you are free to interpret "fairy" however you choose. And feel free to enter the same story to every competition if you like, but my advice would be to write specific stories for each theme.

[quote=Jay Mandal]WM Contents – I almost missed ‘On the cover’. It was only when I wondered what had happened to the Lee Child interview that I found it.[/quote]
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll discuss it with the designers.

[quote=Jay Mandal]WM pages 11-13 - Facebook I’ve now found an explanation of the ‘like’ button. I received a Google Alert saying someone on Facebook liked The Dandelion Clock but I didn’t know what it meant. Is there a way of telling who posted the ‘like’?[/quote]
    To the best of my knowledge, no, there isn't a way of telling, but if anybody else knows of a way to find out, I'd love to be corrected!

[quote=Jay Mandal]WM pages 65 – Helpline Diana Cambridge writes: “It’s unlikely that a mainstream publisher would consider [the very short novel].” On page 67 – Grumpy Old Bookman Michael Allen writes: “Short digital books will prosper.”[/quote]
    I think it's fair to say that mainstream and digital publishing have different demands, and Michael's article is very specifically about writers doing it themselves, electronically, without the "gatekeepers" of mainstream publishing.
  • Thanks, Webbo. I think I've got only one story that's the right length and wouldn't make the readers blush!
  • As long as it's the right length Jay then I doubt anyone will be embarrassed.
  • I daren't say anything.
  • :)

There is something I'd say about that but I won't.
  • Well, you all know how modest I am.