Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I love writing because...

... when I write, I feel fulfilled and happy. My brain is singing and dancing and I'm glad to be alive.

So why do you love writing?

Comments

• it lets me feel free, i feel relaxed and happy when i write more than when i do anything else.
  • great idea for a thread, Lou!
    I love writing because it is a release, and because those around me are continually pestering for me to tell their stories.
  • I like to write, because sometimes I can escape the ordinary me and be someone else. Have adventures, be sad if I want to be, or silly without anyone saying grow up.
  • Why do I write? Flights of fantasy mostly, and the freedom to be, say or do anything without consequences. Hurrah.
  • I've often wondered about this and never specifically identified what triggers me. Sometimes a great onrush of words and ideas will fill my head and I have to get them down. When I did my First Draft of the WIP last year I felt incredibly motivated and sustained it over months. Considering I was largely on my own and hardly anyone to talk to (talk about writers' isolation!) I am amazed how 'high' I was working on that and seeing it grow. The editing and rewrite process - iteration, evolution and improvement - I am finding just as rewarding but as more of a slow-burn than an adrenalin rush. I really don't know why I love doing it; I just have to do it.
  • I love writing for many reasons. It's the only hobby that's ever stuck at or that I'm any good at. It never gets boring, or a chore. If it does then I need a break from it. But I love writing because it's something to do in my spare time, and because I love being in the world of my two protagonists, and I love writing situations that come into my brain.

It can also be therapeutic as well, the other night I wrote something off my chest in some kind of trance, letting out all my emotion, right before I went to sleep.

It's an abusive ride, but I love it. If something is wrong, then I need to correct it. If I can't work something out, I won't let it beat me, so, while it is an abusive ride, I don't mind being abused by it, because I've met some amazing people on my journey that I can call friends.
  • Not at all sure what is meant by 'Abusive Ride', Pixie!

I am not sure that I love writing.
    But when I stop for any length of time I feel crabbit and unsettled and guilty and lazy and self-disliking.
    I think I must therefore be addicted - does that count as love?
  • I love writing becasue it makes me whole and happy.
    Also it brings me new friends.
  • ceka, that's how I feel after a day without chocolate and Diet Pepsi, so it must be an addiction. I would add that I very rarely have such a day!
    As for writing, I think the world going on inside my head sometimes feels a much better place than the one outside, and it's easier to control.
  • I love writing because it's therapy- stops me going crazy when normal life can be so stressful.
    And I need to write, all the characters, scenes and words mixed in the caudron in my head.
    I can create the perfect man or men and they aren't going to argue with me...
    It gives me friends who I wouldn't have had otherwise.
  • I love writing because I can escape, I can learn something, it tells me to slow down and think (up to a point) of what I'm doing. And I'm happy. :-)
  • I write because it fills a gap...stops me nagging...sorts my head out...amuses me...allows me to be as bonkers as I jolly well like!
  • [quote= Pixie J. King]It's an abusive ride, but I love it. If something is wrong, then I need to correct it. If I can't work something out, I won't let it beat me, so, while it is an abusive ride, I don't mind being abused by it, because I've met some amazing people on my journey that I can call friends.[/quote]
    This is so true and I know exactly what you mean. It's a tough challenge, but realising that means you are mastering it.