Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Does it matter when you submit your entry to a writing competition?

edited June 2011 in Writing
Hi all,

I think there was some discussion about this on a thread recently so sorry if it’s a repeat, but do you think it makes a difference when you send in your entry to a writing competition? I think I remember someone on here saying that lots of competitions will choose their shortlist from the earliest entries, and then not bother to read any entries sent in subsequently. Do you think this is common practice? I’m just thinking of how to maximise my chances of getting to a shortlist, and wondered if timing made any difference?

Thanks for any thoughts and productive writing!

Comments

• Timing would make a difference if you submitted too late ie after the close date. :)

Who is to say the earliest entries will be the better ones?
  • Can't answer as I have yet to enter any "proper" competitions. Though I have to ask why stipulate a closing date if you can't be bothered to read them all?
  • [quote=michellez]I’m just thinking of how to maximise my chances of getting to a shortlist,[/quote] -

write the best entry you can, send it off when you can't improve on it and take your chances like everyone else, I think! Credible competitions will judge fairly and when your entry actually arrives will be irrelevant - unless it's late, of course.
  • Thanks guys! Sensible advice and encouraging. Was wondering if I was doing anything obviously wrong, other than writing an entry that wasn't as good as the shortlisted ones!! I'll read through the shortlists, and learn from the better entries, and hopefully improve for next time!
  • [quote=michellez]do you think it makes a difference when you send in your entry to a writing competition?[/quote] Yes - but the best time will vary. I suspect if there are thousands of entries, later ones might not be so carefully read. On the other hand, judges are more likely to remember later ones as they'll have read them more recently. A quirky story that relies heavily on novelty value might do better sent later, so it grabs the judges attention when he's bored from reading lots that were similar.

Personally, I think it's best to send them as soon as they're ready, in case you forget or they get delayed in the post.
  • I have usually sent mine in pretty (often very) close to the closing date, and I've had enough wins and short-listings to suggest that has not caused me any disadvantage.
  • We sometimes ahve a few stragglers with The Write Place comp and as long as the judging process hasn't started we will include them. After all the postal system isn't as reliable as it used to be.
    I wouldn't recommend sending late though in case some comp administrators are tyrants!
  • My biggest competition success came from a story I submitted with around 30 seconds to spare - uploaded just before midnight on the closing date.

However, I'm always a bit alarmed when I see (on a blog, for instance) the judge for a competition I'm planning to enter talking about the entries they've already read - often a few weeks before the closing date. I wonder whether in those circumstances the early birds have an advantage as the judge is 'fresher'?

In other cases, though, I guess being the last story to arrive might mean it's on top of the pile, so it's the first one to be read.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. As long as you give yourself enough time so that you're not rushing so much you send a badly edited mess of a story, it should be okay. Personally, I don't like to send my work in too far ahead of the deadline as until the closing date has passed I tend to obsess over all the little changes I *could* have made, if only I hadn't sent it in already. Once the closing date's passed, I tend to be able to focus on the next story in line.
  • Blatant plug coming up ... On my blog, I'll soon be interviewing Della Galton who judges lots of competitions. If you'd like me to put this, or any other questions, to her, please post them here - http://patsy-collins.blogspot.com/2011/12/advent-winningness-day-5.html
  • Either get in first, or send on the last couple of days. Both of these will make sure you're in the judges memory. You must have a great story of course.
  • edited April 2012
    [quote=Patrick]
    Credible competitions will judge fairly and when your entry actually arrives will be irrelevant - unless it's late, of course.[/quote]

[quote=michellez]I think I remember someone on here saying that lots of competitions will choose their shortlist from the earliest entries, and then not bother to read any entries sent in subsequently. Do you think this is common practice?[/quote]

No, I don't think that is common practice. I mean, it is vulgar and rude as in common, but not something I would expect to happen frequently, if at all.

Edited to add, Patrick's advice is relevant to this one:

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/