Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to Murder People

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Well done StF, you are a cunning crime writer in the making...:)

[quote=Baggy Books]How about something passionate? [/quote]
    Webbo might have to blank out certain bits if it got too passionate...:D

edited to say: not those bits! These bits = sentences that may be too graphic...;)
  • [quote=Jennymf]Can we have another competition like this but not the same.Not sure what. I really enjoyed it.[/quote]
    Definitely! We're wondering what to do next... the hard part might be, if we follow a similar format, what can be expressed in a quick single line entry (or so), which I think is what worked so well this time.
  • Thanks Webbo. That's made my day. Like I said a while ago if anyone died at school I'll be the number one suspect. In he real world I'm the quiet boy who keeps his head down. Would you believe it?
  • The quiet ones are the ones to watch...:)
  • Well done, stf.

I must remember to never make you cross!
  • Oh thanks for the mention (runner up?) too Webbo. For some reason I hadn't noticed that. Maybe he ST and Stf thing. Cheers anyway. I may get on with writing that idea into a story.
  • [quote=st force]In he real world I'm the quiet boy who keeps his head down. Would you believe it? [/quote]

Yes. All the better to plan... mwahahahahaha!
  • Ah!, just realised you mentioned you liked mine too...thanks Webbo and office! *Must read to end of comments*
  • Well done Stf! A worthy winner!

[quote=Carol]Webbo might have to blank out certain bits if it got too passionate...:D

edited to say: not those bits![/quote]

I hate to say LOL but I really did reading that, Carol!
  • Way hay - well done St Force - I hope we're going to read the completed story now!?
  • Well done St Force!!!
  • Congratulations, st force :)
  • edited June 2011
    I never even got a chance to enter :( - My bad...too busy doing something else probably.

Well done, Stf!
  • Congratulations, ST Force, BB, and ST.
    Should one congratulate someone on their deviousness in planning to commit murder? Oh, go on then - it's a gift, after all!
  • Well done ST Force! So young... so evil... :-)
  • edited June 2011
    STF well done. :)
  • Well done, ST Force - and well deserved.
  • I cant wait to read this story any idea how long it will take.
    Well done luv.

Verbal Asylum; No I wouldnt say you where mad more a contrived lunacy
    which is good for writers gives you that creative edge on the
    normal folk.Im glad you like it Lilyc.
  • Well done StF.

Webbo, does he get a rosette or something (a poison bottle, perhaps) to indicate his success?
  • [quote=Lolli]Webbo, does he get a rosette or something (a poison bottle, perhaps) to indicate his success? [/quote]

Oh yes, come on Webbo!
  • Everyone, just watch it when you're around StF...

Hmm, on Saturday I nearly murdered two people. Didn't need any amazing methods of despatch other than my hands. Good job OH was there to drag me away from imminent carnage ;)
  • Red :-)
  • Congratulations StF! :-)
  • Could he have a little silver dagger by his name, perhaps?
  • I suspect that the software only does what we have already, rosettes, medals etc. In certain already decided colours. A black rosette would be good but bet they don't do one!
  • Or a red drop of blood!
  • I'd thought of this too. I would have liked to give a suitably dark little icon, but as you suspect, we're limited to fairly bland rosettes, etc.
  • Go on, give him one!
  • I beg your pardon, BB!
  • Give me a what now, BB?

That's fine about the icon Webbo. I plan to win the nicest talkbacker 2011 anyway so you can give me one then.
  • I said, GO ON, GIVE HIM ONE!

*thinks some TBers are deaf*
  • [quote=st force] I plan to win the nicest talkbacker 2011 anyway[/quote]

Not after this, surely!
  • Good point, Lou.

Webbo try your very hardest to make a nw icon or else...

Of course I'm joking.
  • I'm glad you don't know where I live St F ;) Well done!
  • [quote=Webbo]I would have liked to give a suitably dark little icon,[/quote]

Having produced such a superlative new web site, your web design team could create one, surely? It would be fun!
  • suggestions for icon
    Hangman's noose
  • I don't think a pink ribbon with Talkback's greatest murderer is going to work.
  • Stf - do you take on specific commissions? We're having trouble with the kids' Mum! ;)
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]Having produced such a superlative new web site, your web design team could create one, surely? It would be fun![/quote]
    Thankyou PBW. Unfortunately though, while they have provided us with a lovely swanky new rest of website, Talkback is still the same - effectively just pasted into the new framework - but they are flat out developing a new system for us, which I will now insist allows a facility for making random awards to members based on my whim, but I don't want to distract them from the main task with smaller matters for now.
    The cheeky blighters even had the gall to ask for an hour off this weekend. I said yes, but I've swiped the key to their shackles so they're not going anywhere.
  • Excuses, all I read are excuses!
  • [quote=Webbo]I said yes, but I've swiped the key to their shackles so they're not going anywhere. [/quote] Hah!

[quote=st force]I don't think a pink ribbon with Talkback's greatest murderer is going to work. [/quote] Absolutely not. I like the idea of the hangman's noose.
  • Wow, it's wonderful to know there is a whole team of 'cheeky blighters', sweating and toiling to bring us a better TB.

I think we should start a list of icons which could be useful, to all genres.

SO:

A spaceship (Sci-fi)
    A heart (Romance)
    A dagger (Murder)
    A crucifix (Religious)
    A book ((General)
    A teddy (infant lit)
    A balloon (5-8)
    A skateboard (9-11)
    A (can't think of what 12-14 yr olds like)
    Something for YA
    An animal for wildlife stuff
    Something for poetry for children
    Something for poetry for adults
    Something for vampires/horror
    Something for flash fiction
    Something for nice people
    Something for helpful people

Any other suggestions?
  • Flash writing would be a lighting icon. Horror could be a set of fangs, zombie or a ghost. People who are annoying could have the words Silent Tony next to their icon.
  • That's a great idea Liz! Some people write more than genres so some people could have more than others. Perhaps we could say what we write on our account page? A clear instruction list might also help for those who have trouble with avatars next to their name. Would a messaging system be to much or should we stick with whispers?
  • I was thinking of awards more than something to say what we write, but actually, to see what people write would be helpful and interesting. It is hard to keep it in your mind unless you know someone really well. Perhaps the icon which shows what we write could glow if we have done something extra good in it? Then more than one person could be rewarded.

Or not!
  • These are all fab ideas, I'll see what can be achieved...
    And a Like button, so I didn't have to keep thanking when I really meant LOL!
  • I sometimes use the Thank You as Like or LOL so this would be a great addition. Not sure we need to have a visual reminder of what people write. We know this through conversation and work published. Also what if people cross genres and disciplines as many of us do?
  • I know it's not quite the same St Force – and doesn't quite reflect your murderous ingenuity - but I've made you a variant of your icon wizard being axed in the head...
    http://www.writers-online.co.uk/userfiles/image/WizardBloody.gif

Good point Tony, we don't want it to get completely cluttered with too many icons that then start to lose meaning.
  • [quote=Liz!]A (can't think of what 12-14 yr olds like)
    Something for YA
    An animal for wildlife stuff
    Something for poetry for children
    Something for poetry for adults
    Something for vampires/horror
    Something for flash fiction
    Something for nice people
    Something for helpful people
    [/quote]

Headphones/MP3 player for YA
    A quill for poetry
    A lilttle quill for children's poetry
    Teeth for vampires/horror
    Lightning bolt for flash fiction (either that or a long mac - no, perhaps not)
    Halo for a nice person
    Hand shaking another hand for a helpful person
    Diary if someone keeps a blog
    A book with an e on it if someone's a kindle publisher...

I do quite like the idea of having symbols of the sort of writing you do next to your name - if you do more than one genre, have more than one symbol!

[quote=SilentTony]People who are annoying could have the words Silent Tony next to their icon[/quote]

:D