Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

First fiction rejection

edited July 2011 in - Writing Tales
After having some short fiction pieces accepted by anthologies which don't pay, I've finally got my first rejection from a paying market. Ironically, the story is called Cruel Sparks and the person who rejected it is called Cat Sparks! Now to find somewhere else to submit it...

Comments

• Perhaps she took it personally, DB! Better luck next time.
  • You must admit, the humour created by the coincidence of title and name is cruel!
  • Good luck with finding another home for it.
  • Hope you find somewhere else, DB.
  • Can I ask what kind of rejection was it? Is it a form letter or personalized?
  • [quote=Stirling]Can I ask what kind of rejection was it? Is it a form letter or personalized? [/quote]

I was reading what a reputable agent had to say on this the other day, Stirling, and she said there was no point trying to read anything into the rejection message because she sends exactly the same one to all.
  • But that's assuming all agents are the same too Dwight. Not everything is a carbon copy or standardised in this world.
  • There is a view that if you're not being rejected regularly then you're not aiming high enough.

Well done, DB, for aiming high and better luck next time.
  • [quote=heather]There is a view that if you're not being rejected regularly then you're not aiming high enough.[/quote]

I like that Heather. It also shows the difference and the false sense of security that subbing to non paying gives.
  • [quote=SilentTony]But that's assuming all agents are the same too Dwight. Not everything is a carbon copy or standardised in this world. [/quote]

I agree.

Out of all my rejections, it's very rare for me to get a straight form letter. Usually I get a few handwritten notes in the margins. My favourite is from David Higham Associates, and says 'pity.'

That was a fantastic ego boost.
  • But why 'pity'?
  • [quote=Baggy Books]But why 'pity'? [/quote]

Because he had liked it, but couldn't represent me [full list.]
  • [quote=SilentTony]
    I like that Heather. It also shows the difference and the false sense of security that subbing to non paying gives. [/quote]

I think there's truth in that. Even though non-paying anthologies still reject stories, it's perhaps a different kettle of fish to a paying market.
  • [quote=Stirling]Can I ask what kind of rejection was it? Is it a form letter or personalized? [/quote]

It was an email. I submitted the short story to a magazine which accepts email submissions.
  • I think you can when you are doing well by the rejections.

Sadly, when I started off writing, I had no idea that rejection was the norm. So my first rejection, which was from Walker Books, and a personal letter, with the well known phrase, I really like this, but it's not right for our list, and the much lesser known phrase, I think you should send this to [three names], tell them I told you to send it, horrified me. I had been rejected, it was clearly not good enough. I did not send it out again!
  • [quote=Stirling]Because he had liked it, but couldn't represent me [full list.] [/quote]

That is progress Stirling! What a compliment. It means you're nearly there. Personalised rejections instead of form rejections? You're doing well.
  • edited July 2011
    Yes, I agree.

Liz, I had that experience too. Sent out my first novel to two publishers, who both requested the full ms. Both sent a detailed letter back, saying what they liked about it and what they didn't, and saying they were sorry they couldn't publish but I should try elsewhere (though they didn't go as far as to suggest names). Two agents sent similar detailed replies. At that point, feeling all upset, I gave up and never sent that novel out again.
  • DB, keep sending. If you read your target market and study the published work, you'll absorb what's right for that market and if you keep at it, more and more and more send-outs, then your time will come.
    Only people brave enough to send anything out in the first place are going to get rejections - think about that! The only way to be never rejected is never to send, so well done for getting work 'out there'
    And good luck with the next and the next and the next ...

Stirling, I agree with the others - positive negative responses are SO much more encouraging than standard rejections. You're off the bottom rung, just keep climbing! Good luck to you, too
  • join the club dene; it's a cruel world! I don't mind rejections as at least it means I finsihed something and sent it off.
    As you develop as a writer (i.e. grow lots of layers of skin - handy for dealing with rejection and for coping with long hard winters) you will end up with lots of pieces 'out there' at any one time and the day when the 'man from Delmonte says Yes!' is ever closer...keep writing, keep subbing and good luck
  • Thanks for the encouragement.

I've sent my story to a critiquing service to see if there are some improvements I can make before submitting it elsewhere.
  • Was it a womens magazine story, or something more genre-specific? There is such a shrinking list of mainstream markets nowadays, so I hope you can find a new home for your story. And I hope you aren't paying too much for a critique - remember it's only one person's opinion, and not necessarily reflecting the editor's reasons for saying no - and you may earn less for selling it eventually than you paid out for advice!
  • VivViv
    edited July 2011
    Oh, I've just googled your Cat Sparks. Seems she is a writer herself, and editor of magazines of speculative fiction and Sci fi in Australia. Not my area of expertise at all! Good luck with your search for a publisher to take your work on.
  • [quote=Viv]Was it a womens magazine story, or something more genre-specific? There is such a shrinking list of mainstream markets nowadays, so I hope you can find a new home for your story. And I hope you aren't paying too much for a critique - remember it's only one person's opinion, and not necessarily reflecting the editor's reasons for saying no - and you may earn less for selling it eventually than you paid out for advice! [/quote]

It's an Australian science magazine which includes SF fiction:

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com

Yeah, I know the critique is only one person's opinion, but hopefully it'll give me some useful feedback. It's only £12, so worth trying once or twice. I'm keen to learn as much as possible, especially as fiction is not something that comes naturally to me.
  • Do you belong to a writers circle or group? Useful feedback and advice from other writers for free.
  • Here's an encouraging web page advertised this week by Sarah Davies in her Greenhouse blog:

http://www.suite101.com/content/famous-authors-books-experienced-multiple-manuscript-rejections-a331241

The second list is interesting. I've lost out to Joanne Rowling but I'm still ahead of Stephenie Meyer.
  • A very helpful web site, Dwight. I've bookmarked it. I'd better getting cracking with the query letters. I have nowhere near enough rejections to get noticed!
  • Rejections can really make you question your raison d'etre sometimes, but it does make you look at your work a little more critically.

I sent my ms (novel) by snail mail, 4pm last Thursday. Monday morning brought a standard e-mail from my chosen agents... "After careful consideration, blah, blah, blah" Careful consideration? In that space of time?
    Well, obviously the first page must have left them cold. I've now added a prologue, switched chapters 1 and 2 around and rewritten the old chapter 1 which is now chapter 2. Already feel the novel is much improved because of it.
    Will sit on it for a while, do a bit more agent research and try again.

Am going to have a look at that link now, Dwight.
  • That improvement of your opening was my response to my latest rejection, Anna.

Rejections usually have a positive effect on me, paradoxically. I think: Right mate, I'll show you. Then the old clip-board comes out and I plan the improvements. I am determined to make one or two of my then-cherished agents eat cake by making a literary name for myself.
  • Some times you can be rejected on the basis of a query letter alone. Sometimes it is worth asking yourself whether the query is successful [i.e is it getting requests for partials/fulls?]
  • Dwight wrote "I am determined to make one or two of my then-cherished agents eat cake by making a literary name for myself."

Yeaahhhhhhhhh!!
  • Or even humble pie. Or is that what Mr Murdoch had?
  • Just had two stories accepted for a non-paying Static Movement anthology, one of which the editor especially liked. I tried getting these stories accepted into paying publications with no success, so thought I'd try SM to try and increase my publishing credits.
  • Hey, well done Dene!
  • [quote=DeneBebbo]Hey, well done Dene! [/quote]

Thanks. It's interesting that so far I've had a 100% success rate with non-paying publications, and a 100% failure rate with paying publications! My aim is still to get paid for stories and have several story ideas waiting to be written.
  • Well, if you don't try you won't find out. Keep writing, DB, keep submitting - that's all we poor scribblers can do!
    But hey, you've got your name in print, and you can put that in the letter with your next submission.
  • Dear Shaun Adams,

Thank you for sending us "The Blind Star." I have reviewed your story
    and decided not to purchase it. The premise and execution was
    interesting, but the story didn't really work for me.

Send us another!

Sincerely,
    Submission Staff <[email protected]>

I got this rejection in my email just this morning. I was actually encouraged by it. Plus, the story in question was accepted by a non paying publisher last week.

Shaun
  • [quote=skadams]I got this rejection in my email just this morning. I was actually encouraged by it. Plus, the story in question was accepted by a non paying publisher last week.[/quote]

If they want you to send another story then it's very encouraging.
  • Well done DB.

Shaun, that's definitely an encouraging rejection - they obviously like your style/voice but not that particular story - and you've already moved on with it, so that's great!
  • I've only just come across this thread and the remarks about non-paying acceptances are very interesting.
    I don't write much fiction, but of the (approx) 12 fiction submissions I made this year I've had 7 acceptances - all non-paying!
    Maybe I should stick to my non-fiction article writing!
    :rolleyes:
  • [quote=LilyC]Well done DB.Shaun, that's definitely an encouraging rejection - they obviously like your style/voice but not that particular story - and you've already moved on with it, so that's great![/quote]

I totally agree with Lily, Shaun, that they must like you if they're asking for another story. If I were you I would spend some time writing something tailor-made for this publication and send it as a return email so the submission staff know they have alread read and rated your work -then keep at it until they accept one! :)
  • Thanks, Lily C and seaview, I am even more positive about this rejection letter now.

I really appreciate your comments. Ahem, I will shuffle off now, sorry to hijack the thread a little, DeneBebbo
  • Well done Shaun - and DB kick on, kick on!

People's Friend have just bought one of mine, just as I was beginning to despair of hearing from them again!
  • That's good news Ceka, congratulations.