Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in October 2011's magazines due out Thursday 1st September?

edited August 2011 in - WM and WN
Who’s in October 2011’s magazines? The magazines probably won’t be out until Thursday 1st September so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and which page; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Remember: if mentioning a story, don’t give away the ending.

Comments

• Nooooooooooooooooooooo!! I haven't read August yet :(
  • Doubt I will be!
  • Pretty certain I won't be, either.
  • Writer's Forum for October came out this week. It's wishing your life away! My WM will probably arrive when I'm away, and when I get back, November's will be due. That's autumn - I haven't finished with summer yet.
  • Summer seems to have finished with us! Still, there's often a good week towards the start of September, and October can be lovely.
  • So we might get a warm day to sit out in the garden and read WM/WN...
  • hope its in shops tomorrow
  • Mine arrived this morning; spotted one TBer already!
  • Mine arrived too.
    Saw a name I thought might be a TBer but wasn't sure.
  • Oh crap; still haven't finished the last one...
  • To say last month's magazine didn't arrive and I had to get another one sent to me I haven't actually read it yet :rolleyes:

I suppose I had better go and find it...
  • Members Club. Page 14, bottom right. Someone who makes the occasional appearance on here.
  • [quote=neil]Members Club. Page 14, bottom right. Someone who makes the occasional appearance on here. [/quote]

Oh yes, and he even mentions our OWC!!! :)
  • My magazines have arrived and I see I am on page 43 of the Competition Special with my Swanwick 2001 winning poem.
  • Oh wow, kateyanne - three times a winner too, eh! I love the ending of that poem...it takes it to another level.
  • I have a feature about magazine start ups.
  • Ah now we're putting faces to names.
    Well done writebag, kateyanne and he who hasn't admitted his inclusion yet...:)
  • It doesn't look like there is a poetry comp category at Swanwick next year, re the comp details on the page next to my poem.
  • Well done to all mentioned. My copy not arrived yet , sometimes its early sometimes its late.
  • [quote=kateyanne]My magazines have arrived and I see I am on page 43 of the Competition Special with my Swanwick 2001 winning poem.[/quote]

That's the one I saw. Congratulations, Kateyanne.
  • [quote=writebag]I have a feature about magazine start ups.[/quote]

Well done, writebag.
  • [quote=Seaview]Oh yes, and he even mentions our OWC!!![/quote]

Come on - spill the beans for those of us who don´t have access to a copy! :)
  • Well done kateyanne, writebag and... 'he'.

Any others in there?
  • Yes, well done, 'He'!
  • yes I have also spotted 'he'

Well done to everyone :)
  • edited September 2011
    It was me! Thank you, Webbo - my copy arrived today. (Page WN14.)

I haven't had time yet to read everyone's articles, etc.
  • well done Jay.
  • Well done Kateyanne, Writebag, Jay - and any others!
  • Congratulations all, on your winning entries, - great reading.
  • OMG until now I had only looked at page 43 for kateyanne's poem in the Competition Special - now i have just discovered that I was shortlisted in last year's new subscribers short story comp! :)
  • Congratulations to all of you.
  • That's great, Seaview , well done!
  • Well done, everybody.
  • Well done Writebag, Jay, Kateyanne and Seaview
  • Well done Seaview.
  • Well done Writebag, Jay and Seaview. Loved your poem Kateyanne.
  • Thanks, peeps. :) Well done Seaview, Kateyanne (I liked the ending, too) and Writebag.
  • Hi, Webbo. Page 42 Under the microscope includes words from a Beatles song. Is this OK? And, on page 48 Writing that's right, it says that British English would put 'realise', not 'realize'. My 2001 Chambers Dictionary shows both. Has the spelling changed?
  • edited September 2011
    Good point Jay - James was more focused on the writing style, etc, than the copyright concern that we've covered here before in quite some depth. In this case, it being the Beatles and all, I would have to suggest that "...and fast forward to the chorus" would be the safest approach, but not nearly as nice in terms of the prose.

As you say, realise and realize are both okay in UK English (WM house style is realise though, and, without any evidence to back this up, isn't it more common?) but isn't the point that in US English, realize is the preferred, if not only, option?
  • and now I realise (!) why my lyric workaround wouldn't work... That's Hey You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, not the chorus of Help!
  • It seems to imply that all British English words are 'ise' - and that's probably because that's what our computers seem to think! :)
  • Thank you all and well done to everyone in this month's issue - another good one!
  • Well done all. Great article Writebag:)