Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Baskalier 2011 Poetry competition

KJKJ
edited January 2011 in Writing
The new Baskalier poetry competition for 2011 is now live. The theme is 'Fragile Earth'.

Last year three TBers were successfully published in the 'Extinction' anthology - perhaps there will be a few more this year (I challenge you!)

If you'd like me to send you the details, please whisper your email address, else download from www.baskalierpublishing.com

Comments

• I love poetry so I should give this one a go. :) Thanks for the heads up.
  • Ooo must start thinking.
  • Yay! It's back! Time to plan...
  • KJKJ
    edited January 2011
    Slightly extended deadline this year so that it doesn't coincide with the August school holidays.
  • Thanks KJ - a beautiful theme. I'd very much like to take part.
  • [quote=LilyC]a beautiful theme[/quote]

Isn't it? Now if only I could write poetry... sigh...
  • KJKJ
    edited March 2011
    I am trying to engage secondary schools with this cross-curricular competition (as well as adults).

If you have a child of appropriate age, 11-15, then I'd really appreciate you passing the competition link (or a printout of the entry form) to your child's Science or English teacher. Details can be found at www.baskalierpublishing.com
    This is not limited to the UK.

Thanks everyone.
  • Good luck to all of you who enter for this year's competition.
  • I've entered this years poetry competition anyone else?
  • closing date end of month
  • Has anyone heard from KJ lately?
  • edited September 2011
    Her account page shows her last visit to talkback was in August, but she hasn't posted for a while.

p.s. good luck with the competition, kateyanne
  • Just heard I was shortlisted and my poem will go in the anthology 'Fragile Earth' due out in November.
  • Well done, Katyanne!
  • Well done, kateyanne! Great news! I've also just received notification that I've been shortlisted too :D
  • And well done to you too!
  • Well done, HisanoXelax!
  • Well done Kateyanne and HisanoXelax.
  • Hi All,

Well done Kateyanne and HisanoXelax - the anthology is being compiled at the moment, just waiting on non-plagiarism declarations from a few poets before the shortlist is published on the website and winners announced (www.baskalierpublishing.com). I have provisionally set a publication date of 30th November for 'Fragile Earth: An Anthology of Poems'.

Next year's competition theme will be anounced late this year/early next, so please look out for it.

Haven't been here on TB much over the last few months... more than slightly busy with house move and associated repair work.
  • Shortlist and book cover image now available on website (www.baskalierpublishing.com) for those of you who are interested.

Not all of the poets mentioned on the shortlist will be appearing in the anthology. Some of my own work will be included alongside that of other poets.

For those of you who missed the competition (which has now closed), there is still time to submit a poem during the next two weeks as I compile the book. The theme is 'Fragile Earth'. I am looking for a few more 'upbeat' poems to include alongside those already selected, so, if you have a gem of a poem that has not been published elsewhere (including online), then you are welcome to send it to me for consideration. whisper me your details and I'll get back to you.

Publication of the Fragile Earth Anthology has been re-scheduled for the end of January, owing to other urgent commitments + I will be out of the country for a while.
  • Yay! I managed to pull into 3rd place :D I have to keep checking to make sure it's really my name! Last year I was shortlisted, this year 3rd... how sweet the possibility of the future is :)

Thank you to KJ for the amount of time and effort she puts into these anthologies.
  • Hi All,

The paperback version of this book is now with the printers - release due early next week (30 Jan 2012) for those of you who are interested in supporting your fellow TBers...
    Here is the Amazon link:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fragile-Earth-Anthology-Karen-Jones/dp/0956354637/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321468311&sr=1-4

The Kindle version will go live later today.

This year's poetry competition theme will be 'Conservation'. I'll create a thread here when it is open for entries. My website will give further details from late next month (www.baskalierpublishing.com)

It would be good to include a few more TBers in future anthologies...
  • Any news on the new comp yet?
  • KJKJ
    edited June 2012
    Hi Kateyanne,

The Baskalier Poetry Competition will go live later this year with a closing date early in 2013, instead of hitting the Summer school & college end-of year wind-down period. By all means, start writing whenever you wish. The theme will be 'Conservation'. I have Fifteen (and maybe more) books to co-write and publish during the next twelve months; each one needs my full attention.

Karen