Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Choose what gets published. Unbound

edited November 2011 in - Writing Tales
Has anyone used the Unbound web site to publish a book? They were talking about it on BBC news today here is a piece from the web site about it.

'What's different is that instead of waiting for them to publish their work, Unbound allows you to listen to their ideas for what they'd like to write before they even start. If you like their idea, you can pledge to support it. If we hit the target number of supporters, the author can go ahead and start writing (if the target isn't met you can either get your pledge refunded in full or switch your pledge to another Unbound project).'

When I paste link it says error.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Have just been reading the www.unbound.co.uk website.
    Am not sure about the "Each proposal has the potential to become the book you really want to write, pitched to the people who really matter: your potential readers " aspect of it but this is the way writing/publishing seems to be going.
    It's been discussed on here many times about why we write and clearly we all write for different reasons at different times.
    The site says "drop them a line" so have done, and we'll see what's the next step.
    I too am interested to know of anyone who has used or is using Unbound.
  • BBC Breakfast later on, had Terry Jones talking about it.
    I got the impression this was aimed at books that didn't fit mainstream requirements so wouldn't have got a publisher anyway-no matter how good.
  • I have looked at this in the past. I think it was launched a year or two ago. Maybe it hasn't attracted enough interest - I'm worried that it doesn't get enough footfall to get enough votes behind a project. I think it's one of the better examples of web sites of this type, but somehow it seems rather difficult to - I dunno - get the formula right.