Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Looking for a new book to read - any recommendations?

edited April 2012 in - Reading
I started re-reading The Host (it's been a while since I last read it) yesterday and I'm half way through it. I just wanted to ask you all which book should I read next, thanks!

Comments

• Difficult question - somewhat subjective. What is your favourite genre?
  • edited April 2012
    I should really have mentioned that! I usually read books on the supernatural - horror and fantasy - but I also enjoy classic novels from the 19th century and crime. I have quite a varied taste!
  • Just read Before I Go to Sleep by SJ Watson and loved it.
  • Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books are fun detective urban fantasy.
  • I rather enjoyed a fantasy novel I read recently: "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.
  • edited April 2012
    Why don't you have a look at the 'What are you Reading now' thread? Lots of suggestions on there. Just type the thread title into the Search to find it. :)
  • Personally I can recommend "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold.
  • 'Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R.R. Martin? I'm completely addicted to them at the moment (and the TV series).
  • Thanks everyone! And JohnWho - one of my all time favourite books is The Lovely Bones :)
  • Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire - v good, and v different.
    I'm just re-reading IT by Stephen King, which I last read while at school.
    I've not read anything by him for several years, and thought he'd gone off the boil a bit - but rereading some of his older books has made me realise just how good (and scary) they were.
  • I second Lou Treleaven's comment re: Before I Go To Sleep. I finished it last night it was very good.
  • edited April 2012
    [quote=suspense96]Thanks everyone! And JohnWho - one of my all time favourite books is The Lovely Bones [/quote]

I have read all three of Alice Sebold's books, and wait eagerly for her next book, whenever that may be. I absolutely love her work. :)

I see you are new to the site too, and wanted to say welcome. I have only been here for a few days too.
  • Sisters Brothers. You don't have to be a Western fan to enjoy it