Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Er... my Writing Magazine for June arrived today!

Comments

• still got nappy rash, I guess, John.
  • Nah! Piles, yes.
  • Tooooo much information, boys!

You are both way too old for this.
  • To old for what LIz! ????
  • Sidney Newman said it, 'What's the point of being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes?' :)
  • [quote=JohnWho63]1963, the year that Doctor Who began.[/quote]
    Ahah! A fan!
    [quote=JohnWho63] I held back enough in my teens and 20s, but no more. [/quote]
    Know what you mean, JW - especially about the loving bit. We were too scared to let go.

Mind you, we had to hold back in my teens - no contraceptives! From which remark you can tell that I'm hot on snailmale's heels.
    Only in terms of age, I hasten to add - wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Mrs SM.
  • edited April 2012
    At one stage in my career I was a business analyst on an IT project team, but I could never really take that seriously. I remember a comment on one of my appraisals saying, 'lacks superficial polish', and I couldn't argue with that. I could have been a Captain of Industry but for that. ;)

(In reply to John saying you needed to be childish)
  • Yep, I understand what you mean in the first bit, Liz. And yes indeed, I've been a Doctor Who fan since the beginning. :)
  • [quote=liz young] wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Mrs SM.[/quote]

Too true Liz! Mme Snail is formidable! Not to many years ago, (he said proudly) a reasonably young lady attempted to take me home with her when the pub shut one New Years Eve. Mme Snail's wrath was terrible to behold. What I couldn't understand was why I took so much S**t over it, I'd not spoken to the woman all night.
  • The BEGINNING of TIME?

I thought you were only 57?

Me too, by the way. I am hot on your heels. Not that hot. But old enough to have seen the first Dr Who. I'm 54, I think - or possibly 53. I can never quite remember. Or do the maths.

Does anyone remember Twizzle? I wasn't allowed to watch that. It was on ITV. Sooty. Watch with Mother. Andy Pandy. The Woodentops. Bill and Ben. Sigh.
  • [quote=snailmale]I'd not spoken to the woman all night.[/quote]

Every woman knows there is no smoke without fire. Clearly you had made eye contact.
  • Where's the magazine in all this?

Stuffed down the side of the settee?
  • Yes! SM did it.
  • Not on my copy, I hope.
  • [quote=bertiebear]Somewhere around p53 and p66, a whole page of 4 ads has been repeated. Just thought I'd mention it. [/quote]

I actually thought it was deliberate, and that WM had persuaded advertisers to advertise twice in two different sections of the mag, because people tend to dip in and read certain sections that pertain to them!
  • [quote=liz young]Where do you live, Wilts? Mine got here today and I live 2000 miles south of UK.
    Ner ner ner NER ner!
    :)[/quote]

:) Wirral UK. Mine arrived today. Off to bed to read it.
  • [quote=Liz!]The BEGINNING of TIME?

I thought you were only 57?

Me too, by the way. I am hot on your heels. Not that hot. But old enough to have seen the first Dr Who. I'm 54, I think - or possibly 53. I can never quite remember. Or do the maths.

Does anyone remember Twizzle? I wasn't allowed to watch that. It was on ITV. Sooty. Watch with Mother. Andy Pandy. The Woodentops. Bill and Ben. Sigh.[/quote]

You are the same age as my wife then. I don't remember Twizzle, but I certainly watched all the others, and enjoyed them immensely. I also loved The Magic Roundabout.
  • [quote=JohnWho63] I also loved The Magic Roundabout.[/quote]
    OMG! My Pa loved Magic roundabout, especially Dougal. Boing! said Zebedee!
    He loved Captain Pugwash too, then some smart-a=se bast==d spoiled his innocent pleasure by talking about Seaman Staines and Master Bates.
  • [quote=liz young]OMG! My Pa loved Magic roundabout, especially Dougal. Boing! said Zebedee!
    He loved Captain Pugwash too, then some smart-a=se bast==d spoiled his innocent pleasure by talking about Seaman Staines and Master Bates.[/quote]

Yes, I remember someone mentioning those dubious names to me back then. It didn't take me long to cotton on to these double entendres though.
  • [quote=JohnWho63] It didn't take me long to cotton on to these double entendres though. [/quote]

Dunno what you be on about.
  • Seaman Staines and Master Bates.

I thought that was apocryphal?
  • It was what?

[quote=Liz!]apocryphal? [/quote] - doesn't that mean scared to go outside?
  • edited April 2012
    [quote=dora]JohnWho63 wrote: It didn't take me long to cotton on to these double entendres though.

Dunno what you be on about.[/quote]

Well, the characters did not exist in the programme, but whoever had invented the names had meant them as a sexual double entendre

Or supposedly anyway...
  • "gasp"

A sexually repressed writer finding his (was it a he?) outlet through using imagination and story telling?

Whoever heard of such a thing.

"adjusts undergarments"
  • No idea. I never really liked Captain Pugwash much anyway. I preferred Noggin the Nog. :D *respectfully averts gaze while lady adjusts undergarments*
  • [quote=JohnWho63]I preferred Noggin the Nog[/quote]

Before my time.
  • From Wikipedia:

John Ryan successfully sued both the Sunday Correspondent and The Guardian newspapers in 1991 for printing this legend as fact.[2]

It is not true. The nearest character name is Master Mate, and none of the others bear any relation at all to the characters in the series.
  • I liked Noggin the Nog too, John. Very Norse Saga, and more fun than Pugwash. Same voice-over person as Bagpuss, I think.
    I was, and remain, very suspicious of Andy Pandy. I like the bear, even Looby Lou, but didn't trust Andy Pandy at all.
    The Woodentops' dog with its bouncy and not entirely natural gait. Didn't watch Twizzle - I thinkt hat was on The Other Side, in the days when you had BBC and ITV (or ATV, or Redifusion).
    My, how the world has moved on... Lost its innocent belief in telly, too.
  • I agree about Andy Pandy, bb. Although I watched it until about the end of infant school, I much preferred The Woodentops, and even better, Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men. I'm not sure how it would be received by today's children, though I know it was remade in the last decade or so. One of my favourites of all however, was The Clangers, which I have the first series of on DVD.
    Whether it's because I'm older now, but many of today's children's programmes, especially the cartoons, totally lack the sense of beauty or awesomeness of those 50s and 60s programmes. Many of the modern characters seem to have a snarling or scowling face whenever they speak, and it makes me think that it is at least partly responsible for the apparent arrogance of some children today. Or maybe I'm just a moaning old fogey!
  • [quote=JohnWho63]but many of today's children's programmes[/quote]

Which ones do you watch? Must admit, even my children turn over or off when "Nearly Naked Animals" comes on, it's the most awful ever programme.

Sean the Sheep is extremely amusing.

Try watching Hotel Trubble, fantastically hilarious. The actors are all just brilliant in this, they even go out into the streets and meet real people and act in character.
  • I don't actually watch them purposely, but end up watching the last 10 or 15 minutes of some of the Saturday morning ones when I switch on for other things. I can well understand why your children turn over or off.
  • My kids were born between 1967 and 1978, and watched some of the things JW63 mentions.
    I am grateful I don't have to sit through too much of the crass "Let's all be jolly" tripe my grandsons watch.
    Don't people realize that you don't have to put on a different voice for kids?
    - turns away shuddering -
  • [quote=dora]Sean the Sheep is extremely amusing.[/quote]

Never seen it, but I do have his plastic cousin stuck in the back of my car - nodding away as I tootle along the lanes of Dorsetshire.
  • I love watching Telly tubbies, Night Garden, Balamory with my grandson and my grand daughter loves Grandpa in your pocket.
    I remember watching Rag Tag and Bobtail, Wooden Tops and Twizzle.
    My own children watched Rainbow , The learning Tree and Stepping Stones, that used to be on at lunch time before The Sullivans!
  • I didn't like anything that wasn't cuddly - Wooden Tops especially, although I was fond of Spotty Dog.
  • From 23rd November 1963, I preferred Doctor Who to all of those. :)
  • I was still in nappies then.
  • *Goes in to hysterics at the thought of nappied Baggy*

Didn't actually think she was that old
  • *declines to comment further*
  • Very wise BB.
  • But unusual.

Are we allowed to say what we've read yet? Think I've read and enjoyed them all, one I didn't know the half of so enjoyed that even more.
  • I started the normal thread for the June WM/WN, so you could put it on there.
  • This thread has gone in an interesting direction! Still, it's the longest thread I've ever started, so I'm pleased!
  • [quote=snailmale]*Goes in to hysterics at the thought of nappied Baggy*[/quote]

Tut, missed one there.
    Should have read...'nappied Baggys' baggy nappy.'
  • Anybody liked The Clangers?

Not big on conversation (cushy script writing contract that one) but quite funny to watch.
  • Never really did it for me.
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]Anybody liked The Clangers?[/quote]

I loved The Clangers, and have the first series on DVD. I liked The Magic Roundabout then too.
  • my issue hasn't arrived yet - feeling a little forlorn
  • strike the last comment, it's just arrived.

I knew if I said something it would.