Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Another near miss for the Travel Writer of the Year

edited May 2012 in - Writing Tales
Just had a look at the BBC Wildlife Magazine Travel Writer of the Year results - and I've been commended... again.
One day - just one day, I'm going to win this competition! :)

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/competition-article/travel-writer-year-2012-winners-revealed

Here's the link if you're interested in reading my story... (it's the third one down)

Comments

• Sorry to hear that Claudia, but well done on yet another year of getting into the final group.
  • Love your story, Claudia. You should have won!

Congrats anyway - and all best for next year. You'll do it!
  • Lovely story Claudia, I particularly liked the
    avian horror bit, to make the connection with Alfred Hichcocks film
    must have been a sight indeed.
    Well done and hope you are successful next year.
  • Commiserations but well done on being commended.
  • Congratulations on being commended.
  • Very well done, claudia.
    Sorry you didn't win, but being commended is an excellent achievement in itself.
  • What a shame and well done, and I love the story.
  • Congratulations Claudia! No mean achievement. Persistence will pay off, I'm sure.
  • So close! Keep trying - one year you will win!
  • Claudia, just being mentioned is a HUGE thing, BBC magazines have an enormous circulation, congratulations!
  • Ah, read the story, it's lovely! I got a bit confused at the front as you were talking about mice and I thought the kitten was a baby mouse, particularly as baby mice are called kittens and look like curled prawns - but understood later on!
  • Thanks for the good wishes - excuse me for not hitting the 'thanks' button, but I'm afraid I don't have time. (We leave for Morocco on Friday, so busy, busy with our preparations...)

I'm chuffed to bits, but a wee bit disappointed to have got so close for the third time!

[quote=francis]I particularly liked the
    avian horror bit, to make the connection with Alfred Hichcocks film
    must have been a sight indeed.[/quote]

Um - I think you're referring to someone else's story, Francis (I'm the one from Fiji). :)
  • edited May 2012
    Well done, Claudia! Fingers crossed for next time.

This competition is mentioned in July's Writers' News, page 10. Closing date 10th June. I wondered if it might be of interest.

http://www.express.co.uk/web/wishyouwerehere2012

“We are looking for the best nautical images which celebrate Britain’s costal [sic] landscape and our relationship with the sea …”

Don’t forget their terms and conditions.
  • Sorry Claudia, I read all the stories and obviously got mixed up.
    I have just re read.
    What a task picking a winner from such wonderful writings.
    All the best with your next endeavours.
    Take care.
  • Well done Claudia, you'll get there!
  • Claudia, that's a triumph, so I won't offer my commiserations. Congratulations instead!!
  • What a shame you didn't won. I'm off to read your story now. Well done on being commended, but I understand that doesn't feel like a consolation. Maybe next year.
  • Just read it - utterly brilliant - you should have won. I loved when you bent down to get the rice. Your description is priceless. So many fiction writers could learn a lot by reading that article. Thank you.
  • Claudia, I'm sure you will win it one day! And to get highly commended is phenomenal to me, when I consider the thousands of international entries they get every year
    Well done, be proud!
  • Well done Claudia. Fingers crossed for that win next time!
  • Wow - thanks again for all the lovely comments.
    I'm off tomorrow - hopefully will have plenty of internet opportunities in Morocco (as well as lots of interesting experiences and plenty of photo ops).
    Will stay in touch whenever possible.
    Meantime - happy and productive writing everyone!
  • Have a fabulous time,Claudia, looking forward to hearing all about it already!
  • Just as a small post-script to this - I was in contact with the editor of BBC Wildlife Magazine recently. In her reply to me she said:

"Have you seen your article on our website?
    I laughed out loud when I was uploading it.
    We very much appreciate you taking the time to write and hope you will enter our travel writing competition again next year."

Chuffed when I read that!
  • That's great. Well done, Claudia. :)
  • Have just seen this thread, Claudia - well done you!!! :) Fingers crossed you'll do it next time.
  • Excellent, Claudia. I think you can take that as encouragement of the highest order.