Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Wish us luck for this evening, please

edited June 2012 in - Writing Tales
This evening, as part of the Coventry Book Festival, the Coventry Writers' Group will be performing extracts from our prizewinning anthology, Coventry Tales.

We'll be at the Criterion Theatre, Earlsdon, Coventry, from 6:30-8pm. Admission is free and there'll be a variety of yummy refreshments (just been baking some ghostie cakes!) and the bar will be open.

The programme is suitable for all ages and will include quizzes, prizes, poetry readings, humour, stories, dramatisations... including a glimpse into what it was like to be married to Lady Godiva, a very scary ghost walk around our city with a big surprise at the end, and a timeslip tale that will really make you think.

Comments

• All the very best for this Rosalie. I bet those ghostie cakes are yummy. :)
  • Sounds great Rosalie. Good luck and have a great time ! :)
  • Sounds like it will be a wonderful evening! Good luck!
  • That sounds a fantastic evening, Rosalie - just up my street. It's a pity my actual street is so far away, but good luck and have a fab time!!
  • Have a great time, Rosalie, and hope it is a wonderful success.
  • Sounds a fab evening. A pity I don't live closer. Enjoy.
  • Fingers. toes, legs, arms and eyes crossed for you all!
  • Good Luck!
  • Good luck for this evening, Rosalie!
  • Good luck, Rosalie - sounds really good! I hope the ghost detector stays within the script!
  • Thank you, everyone. Now we'll just have to hope that pouring rain and some football match or other doesn't put people off! :-)
  • Hope it all goes well, Rosalie.
  • Oh, Rosalie, I wish I could be there! Good luck!
  • [quote=liz young]Fingers. toes, legs, arms and eyes crossed for you all!
    [/quote]

ditto and ears and head and knees and I hope it all goes well
  • [quote=Rosalie]Now we'll just have to hope that pouring rain and some football match or other doesn't put people off![/quote]

There's a football match on? wow that *has* been kept quiet!

Best of luck Rosalie, hope it all goes well for you and your group.
  • Enjoy Rosalie, hope it goes well.
  • Good Luck Rosalie!
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks, all. I have just had a last practice. I have set my satnav so I don't get lost on the way home like last time. I have books, I have publicity cards, I have my props (including ghost detector). I have ghostie cakes. I am dressed as Angela Brazil, easily transformed into my real self by removing several strings of beads and a floaty scarf.

I am sitting here feeling stupid for being ready an hour early...

What do actors *do* while waiting to perform?
  • Anything they like, read, sleep, whatever helps them relax I'd assume.
  • Good luck and have a brilliant time!

I expect they go into 'the zone' and do a bit of method rehearsing..
  • OK, I will quickly write a couple of girls' school stories, how's that?

Titania's Terrible Term

Titania Obersonville was a pretty 14-year-old schoolgirl with dark curly hair and a mischievous smile. One day she found an ass's head in a cupboard in the dorm at St Puck's and wore it to French class to scare Mam'selle Lascelles...

Ok - it's time to go ...
  • Break a leg...
    Well not in reality of course. :)
  • I hope your evening goes really well. Good Luck.
  • Wait, wait! I want to read the rest of Titania's Terrible Term!
  • Wish I could be there, sounds great. Good luck.
  • Very best of luck Rosalie and chums. Have a great evening!
  • Good luck! (I'm a bit late, but only just saw this)
  • [quote=Rosalie]What do actors *do* while waiting to perform?[/quote]

They do vocal exercises and warm up their voices. i know this for a fact.

[quote=Carol]Break a leg...[/quote]

Only for theatre performances - the 'leg' was the piece of wood weighting the bottom of the curtain, and if you broke it, it was because of lots of encores.
  • [quote=Liz!]Only for theatre performances - the 'leg' was the piece of wood weighting the bottom of the curtain, and if you broke it, it was because of lots of encores.
    [/quote]
    That's where it comes from...:)
  • Just picked this up. Hope it all went well for you Rosalie.
  • [quote=Liz!]... and warm up their voices.[/quote]

Hope you remembered to bring your hot water bottle for that.
  • [quote=Wilts]Just picked this up. Hope it all went well for you Rosalie. [/quote]

Yes, double ditto.
  • Rosalie is probably collapsed in a heap at home after a veritable triumph of an evening. :)
  • Or in a pub, celebrating.
  • Fraid not. Thanks for all the good wishes. But I did not do it. I had a phone call 5 min before setting off, with the awful news that my dad has died. I am here in Pontefract now and still in shock. Dad was nearly 89 and t seems to have been quick and peaceful in his own home, but i still can't get my head round the fact he has gone. I will not be on here much for a while, probably. But good to know I have you lovely friends thinking of me.
    Ros xx
  • Oh - Rosalie. I'm so sorry, what terrible and shocking news. I will indeed be thinking of you. XXXX
  • omg Rosalie, I'm so sorry to hear this. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. ((((Hug)))) xx
  • Oh, I am so very, very sorry to hear your sad news, Rosalie. :( Of COURSE we're thinking of you - it goes without saying. x
  • Rosalie, what a dreadful shock for you. So, so sad. You will be in all our thoughts.xxx
  • Thinking of you, Rosalie.

xx
  • Oh no, how awful. Rosalie, we are all sending you our love and thoughts. xxx
  • Sorry to hear about that, Rosalie.
  • I'm so sorry to hear your very sad news, Rosalie.
    (((Rosalie)))
  • So sorry to hear that, Rosalie. My condolences.
  • Oh, Rosalie, I am so sorry to hear this. 'Quiet and peaceful' is how we would all like to end our lives, and wish it for those we love,but it is a tremendous shock for you. We'll all be thinking of you, even if you can't post here for a while.
  • Very sorry to hear this, Rosalie. Condolences to you and your family.
  • So sorry to hear your sad news, Rosalie. Thinking of you.
  • Just a quick visit. I'm ok, sort of. Still all feels unreal. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers.

Love, Ros xx
  • So sorry to hear your news Ros xx
  • So sorry for your loss, Rosalie. Thinking of you.