Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Proofreading and Editing Fees

edited July 2012 in Writing
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been for a while - so long, I had to get another member to recall my log-in name for me ;) However, here I am and I am hoping you can help me.

I am expanding my business to offer proofreading and editing services, along with the writing I already do. Can you advise on the fees you would charge/expect to pay for proofreading and editing services? Furthermore, would you be happy to charge/pay more if the work was being completed by a Doctor (since time is money based on expertise and experience)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Nicola

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Welcome back Nicolauk

I wouldn't be happy having my Doctor proofread my work at all, as I don't think he can even spell his own name correctly.

I suggest you look at other businesses offering this service, use google, there are quite a few out there.

Tbh, if I were to employ someone to proofread and edit for me I'd like to know what their experience of that was and what qualifications they had undertaken in relation to that as well.
  • Hi Nicola

I also offer proofreading and editing services, but rather than advertise at a fixed fee I prefer to see a sample of the work before giving a quote. Some pieces of work require a lot more input than others, as you might expect, so I feel this is the fairest way to offer a good service to my clients.

See http://sheilaglasbeybookediting.weebly.com/

(I also have Dr before my name, but seeing as this is for a PhD in Cognitive Science, I wouldn't expect to charge my clients a premium on this basis :-) )

Good luck!
  • [quote=Nicolauk]Furthermore, would you be happy to charge/pay more if the work was being completed by a Doctor (since time is money based on expertise and experience)?[/quote]

As a writer who may use a proofreading service I wouldn't pay more if the person was a Doctor. Being a Doc has no obvious bearing on how good a service they'd provide, unless they have a PhD in proofreading :-)
  • Thank you for the feedback. What are your thoughts on fees? Someone mentioned the sfep?