Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Bit of a moan

edited July 2012 in - Writing Tales
I was asked to write a review of the local HRCA show. (Hornby Railway Collectors Association) It was a nice enough day. I helped set up and clean up the hall and I worked a model layout all day. (using my own locomotives. Most of the time they are in a display case in my room) The organiser of the show said he felt it wasn't right that he should review his own show because it would look biased. I offered to help. He accepted but because I did not know everyone’s name he said he would write a quick draft and then sent it to me for improvement.

Months after the show The Organiser phones and asks why I have not answered his email. I did not get an email I explained. (He spelt my name wrong, easy mistake.) He sends the review again, I edit it and send it back to him on the same day. He rings back a few days later saying thank you and he would sent it to the editor. He also mentioned that I made a spelling mistake and that I need to be more careful. When I looked over the review it was his spelling mistake, not mine!

Yesterday he phones today and explains the deadline is tomorrow and asks why I have not sent it to the editor yet. I told him he said he would do it. He denies all knowledge of saying this and says that it was my job to do. I did not have any contact details of who to send it to or warned when the deadline would be because he said he would deal with it. In the end we both emailed the same version to the editor.

We’ve always accepted that The Organiser is a bit odd and stuck in his ways. (The show itself never changes. If anyone makes a suggestion they are simply ignored.) Other members of the HRCA have had problems with him as well. This is my first published piece of work to be in paper form (two short stories published online) and it really annoys me that I’m being blamed for his mistake. Grrrr….

Comments

• It seems to me like you've been messed around by someone who won't admit to his mistakes; write it off as experience. Those sort of people aren't worth dealing with.
  • You'll know not to volunteer next time, StF. Possibly the reason the show stays the same is that the man couldn't cope with change: what's written in stone stays in stone!
    I feel a breakaway HRCA movement in the air...
  • Is there only one Organiser involved STF? Does he have any deputies or helpers? Perhaps in future you could copy them with any emails you send this person, and ask him to put his phone conversation into writing, copied to them as well.

Kado's right, there'll always be people like this around. They're sent to try us, and try us they do.
  • There will always be anal people. They are the bane of our existance. They are put on this earth to frustrate you to within an inch of your life. If he asks again, simply him to f*** off and do it himself.
  • [quote=Red]simply him to f*** off and do it himself.[/quote]

I couldn't have put it any better!
  • Had to thank you for that, Red because it's the closest we have to a 'Like' button :D
  • That comment made me laugh Red. I've received an email from the editor saying thank you for the report. I take this to mean it will be in print in the next magazine issue. Woo!
    If Mr Organiser tries to stich me up again I will say just that to him.
  • Why not deal directly with the editor next time, StF? F*** the Fat Controller!
  • [quote=st force]If Mr Organiser tries to stich me up again I will say just that to him.[/quote]

Good for you, st force!
  • So has the review been published and does it/will it have your name attached?
  • Dear St.F, welcome to the world!
    Sounds like you're coping very well, keep going. One day you'll be the editor!
  • I agree with Liz - your review, you send it to the editor, you get the by-line.
  • As far as I know it will have my name attached. The magazine containing my artical is due out in around August 20th. It should have my name on it!
  • Let's hope that it has your name on it!
  • StF, I think you should draw a picture of him, cut it out, tie it to the tracks and run him over.
  • Now that's not nice....
  • [quote=Phots Moll]StF, I think you should draw a picture of him, cut it out, tie it to the tracks and run him over.[/quote]

No! Never a good idea to even pretend to do violence to someone. I know a person whose parents got him a punchbag to punch when he was cross with his sister. Now grown up, his way of dealing with irritations takes several forms that all equate with 'taking it out' on another person.

The way to get even in this case is to become a brilliant writer. Which StF will.
  • Can I suggest a compromise? How about I write about a picture of him being tied to the tracks and run over by a train?
  • LOL!
  • Of coursem I shall be driving it.
  • Sigh.
  • Sigh indeed.
  • StF, this reminds me of McLovin (Superbad).

Remained cool (okay ... cool-ish), despite everything going wrong that could go wrong. Being blamed. Not being blamed. Turning out to be the hero.

You've got one on old man Sam ;-)

Stay in touch with the editor. Ask if there are any other ways in which you can help (read as: get yourself in print again!)
  • Ah - some days we can't do a thing to please others! At such times I make a cup of coffee!
  • [quote=Liz!] Never a good idea to even pretend to do violence to someone. I know a person whose parents got him a punchbag to punch when he was cross with his sister. Now grown up, his way of dealing with irritations takes several forms that all equate with 'taking it out' on another person. [/quote] Yes, but did using the punchbag encourage him to be like that, or did he need the punchbag because he was naturally that kind of person?

As a kid, I was always encouraged to think up creative (and completely imaginary) forms of revenge. I still do it. I've 'killed' some people dozens of times - but never use actual violence to attempt to solve any of my problems. I think if I didn't carry out imaginary revenge I'd be far more likely to lose my temper and lash out verbally or do something mean to the person who'd annoyed me. While that might be satisfying at the time, long term it probably wouldn't be a good thing.
  • [quote=Phots Moll]I was always encouraged to think up creative (and completely imaginary) forms of revenge[/quote]

Yes, I used to daydream about pulling someone's top lip up over their face and hooking it over the top of their head. That'd teach 'em.
  • Tiny Nell that is quite disturbing. I've just rubbed my top lip at the thought of it. And just stretched a little too and I'm thinking it really really would have a long way to stretch!
  • [quote=Emma B]Tiny Nell that is quite disturbing. I've just rubbed my top lip at the thought of it. And just stretched a little too and I'm thinking it really really would have a long way to stretch! [/quote]

Yes, but it would be very effective in shutting someone up!
  • I suppose, but it may just cause them to scream instead!
  • I imprisoned people in meringue. They could breath through it but couldn't do anything that would break it. I made sure it was horrible tasting so they couldn't eat their way out.
  • Tee hee!
  • Photos Moll I am shoched! ;)
  • It was mean I admit, Stan. I almost feel bad about it now. In my defence I must have been quite young because I hadn't spotted the snag in the scheme - how would I persuade the person to stay still long enough for the meringue to set?
  • LOL! I think PM that encouraging your for of revenge would be preferable - I know you have the genes you were born with but I am certain that you can be guided and helped to use their expression more wisely.

That lip thing mad me shudder - I have always had a horror of being dragged along the carpet on my lower lip inside out. I know this is a peculiar nightmare, but what can I do? As soon as I revealed it to my children they took great delight in saying things like, careful mum, don't trip, you don't want to rub the inside of your lip on the carpet... yeeek!
  • Liz, I can't stop laughing at that image!!!!! Hysterical!
  • Certainly strange...
  • [quote=Phots Moll]how would I persuade the person to stay still long enough for the meringue to set? [/quote]

That would be difficult! :D
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]Liz, I can't stop laughing at that image!!!!! Hysterical![/quote]

You're so comforting. Sigh.

[quote=Carol]Certainly strange...[/quote]

There must be someone who can help?
  • edited August 2012
    You've started me off again, Liz. I've got Mick Jagger lips on the brain now. I wonder if he was dragged across an Axminster. Sisel would be worse...
  • Sisal doesn't worry me at all. Only carpet. Yeeek...oh oh oh oh oh yeeeeeeek...
  • I had a friend who was afraid of cotton wool. It was the way it squeaked, apparently. Maybe your carpet-dragging phobia is like that - to do with the fibres, since sisal doesn't matter (except to a man).
  • Okay the magazine has just arrived at home. I’m in Cornwall with my Dad for the week so I have not laid eyes on it but Mum has assured me that my name is there, next to the Mr Organiser. I’m happy with that. Although it is a piece of nonfiction (A report) it still counts as my third published piece of work. Yippee!
  • Well done StF.
  • A hat-trick for stf! Super-duper :D
  • Yay, well done, Stf!
  • Congratulations, stf!
  • Cheers for StF - yay!
  • Three cheers for STF! :P