Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Prizewinner at Sean O'Faolain Short Story Competition

edited August 2012 in - Writing Tales
I'm seriously pleased at getting a runner-up prize in the Sean O'Faolain competition: http://www.munsterlit.ie/SOF%20Page.html

In previous years a few writers I really admire had got onto the shortlists, so I'm really happy to have scraped into the prizes, particularly as it seems to have been a bumper year for them in terms of entries.

I really thought the story I'd sent was a long shot, but it just goes to show - you just can't predict these things.

Comments

• Very well done, DF!
  • That is really good! Well done you!
  • Fantastic. Wonderful. Huge congratulations.
  • Excellent, Dan!
  • Thanks, everyone. With this and the Flash500 result recently, I feel like I'm on a bit of a roll - but I don't have many other stories out there at the moment.

Time to get typing!
  • Well done! Excellent news, it's great when you get a result for hard work!
  • Congratulations, I bet you're buzzing with your recent success.
  • Wowtastic! Double whammy!! Well done, danfango. :D
  • Oooh, well done you! You've got what it takes, you see - don't stop now!
  • Congratulations, Dan.
  • Well done danfango.
  • Congratulations, Danfango.
  • Hey, congrats Dan!
  • Not just short-listed but prized! Well done!
  • Well done, Dan, you're going great guns
  • Well done. A great boost too. Fantastic.
  • Well done, congratulations!
  • Delighted for ya, Dan! :)
  • Thanks, everyone - I spent the weekend mostly offline and in the company of non-writers, who were pleased for me but didn't quite 'get' why having something picked for publication and/or a prize is such a big deal.

It's also good to know that a story I wrote purely because it appealed to me (i.e. not written with any particular market in mind) has found a home.
  • [quote=danfango] I spent the weekend mostly offline and in the company of non-writers, who were pleased for me but didn't quite 'get' why having something picked for publication and/or a prize is such a big deal.[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. When I was placed in the BBC travel writer of the year competition I was hugely thrilled - yet some of my friends/family didn't respond when I told them (could almost see their virtual shrugs when they read my excited e-mail) and I know for a fact that they haven't read my entry which is available to read on the BBC wildlife magazine website. Sigh...

Never mind - that what talkback is for, isn't it? The people here really do understand what a big deal these achievements mean to us.

p.s. huge congrats - again - to you df. :)
  • I showed a poem, that I am rather pleased with, to family at the weekend. ( family gathering) They were more interested in looking at the photo of my sister's dog on her mobile phone. :(
  • Great stuff, df.
  • Don't know how I missed this, df.

A great achievement - well done!
  • Well done! :-)
  • Congratulations, danfango!
  • Congratulations.
  • Thank you, everyone.

I'll post a link here in a few months when the story goes online, for anybody who's interested.
  • This is a heavyweight award here in Ireland, Dan, so really well done. I look forward to reading your story. :)
  • "Heavyweight"?

>Gulp<

Now I'm worrying I'll be lynched by Serious Literary Types when the story goes online and people see it's just a load of nonsense about a guy who's absolutely rubbish at being a superhero...