Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My book is on Youtube

edited October 2012 in - Writing Tales
I was googling my name and noticed that my book of Egyptian recipes is on Youtube.
The voice sounds a bit automated but any publicity is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs5nCWGeGng

Comments

• Ah, how wonderful, Nefertari!
  • Fabulous!! How wonderful, Nefertari.
  • That's great.
  • Well done N. It looks great.
  • Well done Nefertari!
  • Well done!
  • Brilliant!
  • Congratulations, Nefertari!
  • It must have been strange to stumble across that, Nefertari. As you say, though, any publicity is good.

Has it inspired you to make a more professional YouTube advert for the book?
  • I wouldn't know how to make one, danfango but it would be good.
  • Quite a lot of computers have a basic 'movie maker' software package, or I'm sure there are freeware ones that you can download without charge. Essentially these allow you to make a slideshow from pictures and/or film clips (i.e. you could use a mobile phone to film freshly cooked dishes from the book and show these in-between still photos of the book's pages), and set these to music and/or a voiceover. You'd have to be careful about copyright if you were using somebody else's music, but there are royalty-free options. You might need to get a microphone, too - most laptops have one built in, but they aren't that great.

It's just up to you, whether you feel it's worth the time and effort. I've no idea how successful YouTube adverts are in terms of generating sales.
  • Ooo you've got me thinking now! I like the idea of filming the dishes. I have some Arabic music on CD but how do I found out about royalty free options?
  • Sorry, this is where my knowledge runs out - I've only ever made one video and that didn't feature any music, it was just me reading one of my stories. I would start with a Google search. Some places might want a fee for the music, but you can use it as many times as you like, others may give you the music for free as long as you credit them - i.e. you get to use the track, and they benefit from any exposure you get for the video.

Alternatively, see if any of your friends are harbouring secret musical talents and wouldn't mind "donating" a couple of minutes' worth of music in exchange for a home-cooked meal or two!

Good luck, whatever you do.