Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Great opportunity for bloggers

edited December 2012 in - Writing Tales
I don't know if I have previously mentioned this, but I started working for Shortbread Stories a few months ago as an editor. Here's the website if you are not familiar:

http://www.shortbreadstories.co.uk/

We are looking for regular bloggers for the site, four people blogging on a four week rotational period. We would not be able to pay you as we are a charity, however we have over 10,000 members on the site and can offer ad space for your site at the top banner in our front page for free.

We want a mixture of posts, they can be academic or personal, funny or serious. A good mixture of topics really. Perhaps a tech blogger who can do a monthly round up of the best apps/programs to use when writing, A blogger who is in the process of writing a novel that can do monthly blogs about his/her progress, a book reviewer who can do a round up of the best books. These are just some thoughts but if anyone has an idea for a series of blogs, pitch it to me.

As well as these regular blogs we are interested in one off posts from people. Whisper or post if you are interested.

Comments

• Lovely site, I've joined!
  • I'll take a look.
  • We don't advertise this offer on the site, it's my job to source the bloggers, but you can see our blog posts to get a feel for what we want here: http://www.shortbreadstories.co.uk/blogs/#axzz2E1ECCxaH

Also as for the advertising, if you do a one off blog you get 2 weeks on the front page banner, if you do a regular blog you will have a spot on the banner for as long as you are with us. Great publicity!
  • I've joined and I'd thinking about some topics for blog posts for you.
  • I've joined too.
    I'm not writing a novel right now but I AM re-writing one.
    I don't know if my struggles with that would be of interest to anyone else?
  • I've joined too. I'm novelling at the moment - writing the full story of what happened to Myrtle Moses in the OWC anthology story. I'm also using Scrivener for the first time as a medium. Any interest in that?
  • edited December 2012
    Co-incidentally, I'm just setting up a new blog (no posts yet) in addition to 'chezlescargot', entitled 'Whatever happened to...?' which is intended to be a somewhat scurrilous offering, purporting to reveal what became of certain well-known figures during their alleged 'happy-ever-after' dotage. The first two are planned to be Cinderella and Lorna Doone. Not at all sure that this is what shortbreadstories is really, really looking for.
  • [quote=Lizy]I'm not writing a novel right now but I AM re-writing one.
    I don't know if my struggles with that would be of interest to anyone else?[/quote]

I think an editing blog would be great, would you be interested in making that a serial, once every four weeks. Speaking about the struggles of editing such a large body of work, the various ways to tackle it, what you need to think about and of course how you are getting on with it?

[quote=Mrs Bear]I'm novelling at the moment - writing the full story of what happened to Myrtle Moses in the OWC anthology story. I'm also using Scrivener for the first time as a medium. Any interest in that? [/quote]

How far are you with your novel right now? We really interested in following someone as they progress through the novel, talking about maintaining motivation, tackling writers block as well as the general developing of the story and characters. A one off post about Scrivener would be interesting too as, while most have heard of it, some may not know too much about it. Have you ever tried any other writing software you would be able to compare it with?

SM, are your blog posts fiction from the point of view of the characters? We aren't really looking for fiction for the blog, but more articles that will interest writers and/or readers. Do you have any other ideas, as we could really use your humour, funny stories around writing? Where you find your ideas?

Another possible idea would be around writing goals for 2013 and keeping us up to date with them.

Let me know if you are interest in doing a serial or just a one off, as we only have four rotational spots but are happy to take on a range of independant blog posts.
  • edited December 2012
    Yes, f-m-n. My proposed new blog is most definitely fiction.

My existing blog can best be described as a collection of desultory musings, stuff that's happening to me, by and large. It's produced on the 'spasmodic' principle as my writing habits owe much to chaos theory. I'll give some thought as to whether I could produce anything along the lines you suggest. I've never really felt qualified to comment on the process of writing because when I start thinking about 'rules' and 'show or tell' or an excess of adjectives and all the other lurking pitfalls, my brain starts hurting.

If you haven't previously checked it out, http://snailmale-chezlescargot.blogspot.com is the sort of stuff I do.
  • [quote=snailmale]If you haven't previously checked it out[/quote]
    Hah! Gotcha! Now who's doing it? :)
  • fmn - I could manage once a month I think, as long as I'm reminded a week in advance!
    I would like to know what this charity is, please - couldn't get anywhere by Googling it.
  • fmn, I'm on a second re-write of the first half. I entered it into Debut Dagger last year, but it really wasn't right then, so I've turned it round to third person.
    Scrivener is proving useful, though I had to buy the 'For Dummies' guide for reference - definitely a novice user. Previously only used Word.
  • [quote=Lizy]Hah! Gotcha! Now who's doing it? [/quote]

My recent viewing figures have declined alarmingly. If things don't look up, I shall have to replace myself.
  • Really enjoyed the blog, SM. That would be a great tone for a blog post for Shortbread, though it would need to be connected to writing or reading. It doesn't need to be on the process of writing, but could be on YOUR process, something a bit more personal. I enjoyed the story of meeting the woman at the cinema, did that really happen? That's unbelievable! :O

Lizy, do you mean my shared post on Facebook? That was actually Shortbread, it is now a registered charity. I thought I shared the link but it must have just been the photo. Here's the link: http://www.shortbreadstories.co.uk/articles/view/donate_to_shortbreadstories/#axzz2E5EQ9Jgt

That's great Lizy, would you be able to send a first blog post to me to get the ball rolling? I'll whisper my email address.

[quote=Mrs Bear]fmn, I'm on a second re-write of the first half. I entered it into Debut Dagger last year, but it really wasn't right then, so I've turned it round to third person.
    Scrivener is proving useful, though I had to buy the 'For Dummies' guide for reference - definitely a novice user. Previously only used Word. [/quote]

Looks like Lizy is now doing pieces on editing, but I would really like to get a piece about Scrivener from you - possibly a couple, showing your progress using it as you get used to it. I shall whisper to you too.

Thanks everyone so far! Anyone able to do a book review serial, progress on writing a novel, writing goals for the year?
  • [quote=forget-me-not] I enjoyed the story of meeting the woman at the cinema, did that really happen? That's unbelievable! :O
    [/quote]

:D The incident in the cinema did happen. This poor woman, a couple of seats down from me, started giggling self consciously during the sexy scene, and that's what gave me the idea for the story. I was with the missis at the time, so the rest of the story is complete fiction.
  • It was brilliant! So funny, nearly had me laughing out loud in my work at the end.
  • That's the one I mentioned to you the other day for R-O-O-I, but which, understandably, you didn't want because it had been blogged. I only blogged it for lack of anywhere to send it. Got 188 views, my record.
  • edited December 2012
    [quote=forget-me-not]That's great Lizy, would you be able to send a first blog post to me to get the ball rolling? I'll whisper my email address.[/quote]
    [quote=forget-me-not]Looks like Lizy is now doing pieces on editing, but I would really like to get a piece about Scrivener from you - possibly a couple, showing your progress using it as you get used to it. I shall whisper to you too.[/quote]

Flippin' 'eck, fmn - you don't hang about, do you? :P
    I'll put my mind to this tomorrow - is that soon enough?
  • Haha it doesn't have to be that soon, just in your own time, no hurry, but I thought it best to send my email before I forget.
  • Bump :) Any other takers?