Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's In January 2013's WM/WN?

2»

Comments

• Enjoy the read :)
  • How do you find Talkback Facebook page? I am new to facebook and still finding my way around.
  • We don't have a page on Facebook, do we?

WM has a page, and the Anthology has a page.
    Type the name into the search box at the top of the screen on FB.
  • Talkback does have a Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/24377480193/
  • Okay, I've clicked join group. What happens now?
  • Not a lot! You can post, is all.
  • I've clicked join too.
  • I have spotted several TBers in the current issue. Well done, guys. It's another info-packed read, lots of good stuff in it this month.
  • I enjoyed reading the Christmas Turkey's article from Stuart Palmer. :)
  • I didn't know we had a FB page - cool!

Lexia, I've just been reading through the posts and Alan Summer's reply to your comment on the haiku thread made me laugh out loud :) Better start learning how to do poetry slam judging in case I ever meet him in person!
  • [quote=Seaview]Better start learning how to do poetry slam judging in case I ever meet him in person! [/quote]

I read that so quickly, I thought you said, ' . . . if ever I meet him in prison.'

I wondered what crime you had in mind, Seaview!
  • Congratulations One Worders - great article. And well done Edd and Seaview!
  • Mine has finally arrived! I broke with tradition and didn't turn straight to the competitions page. Excellent article - congratulations to all.

Nice to look at the faces at the bottom of the page and be able to put names to some of them.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I read that so quickly, I thought you said, ' . . . if ever I meet him in prison.'I wondered what crime you had in mind, Seaview![/quote]

Instead of hitting the quote button I just thanked you for calling me a criminal, TN!!! :)

Yes, death by haiku!
  • [quote=Onlinegenie]Nice to look at the faces at the bottom of the page and be able to put names to some of them.[/quote]

I think it would be nice to be able to put names to them all if it's possible. For anyone who's not sure, I am second from left on the right hand page.
  • I'm the one wearing the bright green colour on the left hand page.
  • I'm the meat in the PBW and TN sandwich!

That's number nine if you count from left to right.
  • I'm her.

(See avatar top left)
  • You really are tiny, Nell!
  • pbwpbw
    edited December 2012
    [quote=Seaview]to do poetry slam judging[/quote]
    Goodness! How DO you slam a judge! FSOG Book 4, maybe...

"She grabbed him by the ermine and pulled off his wig. 'Bang your gavel!' she begged. 'Harder! Oh! Harder! Oh yes! That's it! Don't stop, keep banging!' "

[quote=Baggy Books]I'm the meat in the PBW and TN sandwich![/quote]

It's nice to meat you, Baggy, continuing on from our tweets. Honestly, I don't know how you do this proof reading stuff. My eyes glace over!
  • [quote=pbw]"She grabbed him by the ermine and pulled off his wig. 'Bang your gavel!' she begged. 'Harder! Oh! Harder! Oh yes! That's it! Don't stop, keep banging!' "[/quote]

*glazes*

:(
  • Oh bless, it's just a story, snail... Don't take it to heart. I'm no poet anyway so I would have no idea what to talk about with a poetry judge.
  • [quote=JohnWho63]I think it would be nice to be able to put names to them all if it's possible.[/quote]

I agree, John. It's a shame they didn't print people's names by their photographs.
  • [quote=Seaview]Lexia, I've just been reading through the posts and Alan Summer's reply to your comment on the haiku thread made me laugh out loud[/quote]

Oooer, where's that then? Alan is a good friend of mine - and incidentally the person who I learn haiku stuff from. He's very good.
  • LizLiz
    edited December 2012
    Ah, found it. Beelzebub, you need to read some real haiku. Good ones make goosebumps go up your arms. So much in so few lines, and flowery is the last thing they are - they have to use plain, simple language.

If they sound flowery then they are written by someone who knows nothing about them. And they aren't haiku.
  • Me, I'm in it (4th from right on p.29)- finally got mine today. Excellent article, many thanks!
  • [quote=Liz] Oooer, where's that then? Alan is a good friend of mine - and incidentally the person who I learn haiku stuff from. He's very good.
    [/quote]

Oh, I know how good Alan is, Liz - we've been networking on The Haiku Foundation for the last couple of years. It was the thought of him believing I was a poetry slam judge that made me laugh! :)

You are spot on about the simple language. That's what makes the reader bring their own experience to a haiku. Descriptive language just tells the reader what the writer wants them to think, so it gets in the way.
  • I'd love to get over to meet him and do some writing - I lived in Bristol for a year and would love to revisit that area. I did my post grad at Frenchay (sp?) when it was Bristol Poly.
  • Congratulations, one worders! My magazine finally arrived yesterday. Wonderful feature!
  • I won the 'Asking for More' story competition.

Good to see so many Tbers.
  • Well done, Anna.
  • I loved that story, Anna, congratulations!
  • edited December 2012
    great story well done Anna
  • Well done, Anna. That was a fantastic story:)
  • Oh well done, Anna - nice one! :)
  • Great story Anna- well done !
  • Congratulations Anna
  • I'd missed that, well done Anna.