Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Flying High

edited March 2011 in - Writing Tales
Apparently an article of mine is going in the May issue of Aviation News. I made use of a holiday to get material and photos for this article, and it'll earn me a few quid to add to the holiday fund.

Comments

• Brilliant!
  • Good planning!!
  • Well done.
  • It's given me confidence to try writing for more special interest mags. Next article I'm going to try to place is one about my local canal as there are a couple of canal magazines that may take it.
  • Great news and a brilliant title for the thread.
  • You always appear to be so hard at it Dene.

Seems to be paying off. Well done.
  • Well done-we travel quite a lot but I can never get my act together enough to think about writing about it. Very inspiring :)
  • R-L, that's the secret of success, writing about everything and I mean everything you experience when travelling!
    Good one, DB! that kind of commitment will secure you a healthy freelancing career.
  • Well done making cash from one holiday towards the enxt. Congratulations.
  • Interesting point Dorothy. Even though I write in my spare time I'm constantly on the lookout for article material and angles, and often buy magazines for research into possible markets.
  • Well done!
  • Congratulations!
  • Well done on the article.
  • Well done DB and some good advice, too.
  • edited March 2011
    Can't find this Commodores track anywhere :(

oops removed it in case Jay tells me off
  • Great news! Bet you are flying high at the moment!
  • [quote=dorothyd]R-L, that's the secret of success, writing about everything and I mean everything you experience when travelling! [/quote]
    I know I just need to get my 'writing head' on at the planning stage-I'm just rubbish
  • when you plan a holiday, plan what you can get from it at the same time!!
    it might be an idea to see what you can use locally before you go away - I have had cover photos of very local things, ploughing competition (full on shire horse!) a carving in a church, that kind of thing. The latest is the carving outside the church at Arreton, which will be used by This England this spring. I take a camera with me everywhere and look for article opportunities everywhere I go too, or story ideas. Both are valuable. Think writing before you think day to day life ...
  • nice one :)
  • Just heard from a canal magazine that they're going to use a piece I sent in a few days ago. If my next article for another magazine gets accepted then it'll be a hatrick (sp?) with articles this year.
  • Doing well DB, well done.
  • edited March 2011
    Well done, DB. You've bagged the air and water so make this an earth-bound one maybe? Which magazine did you opt for in the end? There seem to be a number these days dealing with inland waterways.
  • Cracker, DB - though I doubt I'll be reading this one about Flying High, or indeed the waterways one.
    Well done, and as Carol says, you could do an earth bound one next
  • Well done, DB!
  • [quote=Wordy]Well done, DB. You've bagged the air and water so make this an earth-bound one maybe? Which magazine did you opt for in the end?[/quote]

The canal mag is Canals Rivers + Boats. Funny you should mention earth as my next article does cover earthbound things like trees and stones.
  • This month I've got two articles in Aviation News. I seem to have cracked it with some magazines in which I've had several articles published. I'm now targetting some new (for me) magazines for 2013.
  • Two articles?

You'd best get that pilot's licence pretty pronto Mr Dene-o.

Hurray for Dene, btw.
  • Keep up the good work - congratulations
  • edited December 2012
    [quote=dora]You'd best get that pilot's licence pretty pronto Mr Dene-o.[/quote]

Good idea. Would you like to be my first passenger? I passed my driving test first time so I'm sure this flying lark can't be too difficult :-D
  • :D

Hmm.

Interesting idea. Would you be wearing a santa suit for this virgin flight with me?
  • Well done, Cap'n DB!
  • [quote=dora]Interesting idea. Would you be wearing a santa suit for this virgin flight with me? [/quote]

Sure. At least that way there'll be an intriguing headline in the papers if I get overconfident with my novice aerobatic skills.
  • Hmm.

Okay.

Your airfield or mine? :D
  • [quote=dora]Your airfield or mine? [/quote]

I need to see how good your runway is before deciding.
  • There's no runway.

It's a helicopter pad.
  • [quote=dora]It's a helicopter pad. [/quote]

Mine it is then ;-)
  • edited December 2012
    "thoughts turn to flying and face turns an emerald shade of green"

"starts to suck on fisherman's friend, in readiness for ears going funny on take-off"
  • Not a Brazilian Runway, then, DB? ;-)

Congrats on the articles successes, by-the-way - always great to get a run like that!

I'm correlating one, too, on Driver Fatigue (the problem killed my stepson - a subject very strongly in my mind...)
  • Brilliant, DB!