Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A good month

edited February 2013 in - Writing Tales
I'm having a good month with non-fiction. Just had an article published in the March issue of Canals rivers + boats, got one going in the March issue of The Countryman, and got another one going in the Spring issue of Evergreen which may be out this month.

Comments

• Brilliant, DB.
  • Well done! My non-fiction article writing has been very slow in the last few months - must try harder!
  • Glad to see you are doing so well Dene.
  • Great news DB, well done.
  • Great news, DB, and an interesting range of titles. Makes you want to get writing some more doesn't it.
  • Keep up the good work, busy bee :)
  • Fantastic!!!
  • Good going, DeneBebbo! Excellent stuff.
  • Well done. It's great when your hard work comes to fruition.
  • [quote=Wordy]Great news, DB, and an interesting range of titles. Makes you want to get writing some more doesn't it. [/quote]

Yeah! I'm currently working on two articles, and have a couple of others waiting to be published in This England and The Countryman. This year is likely to be my most productive if I keep up the momentum!
  • Good for you, keep that buzz going.
  • Excellent news, well done!
  • Fantastic. Congratulations!
  • [quote=Wordy]Sounds as if we aim at many of the same titles, Dene. I wondered if you had tried Waterways World at all. They have contributor guidelines on their site but didn't make it clear if they want finished pieces or queries. I sent a query a month ago with no response so was thinking of just writing and submitting anyway.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll check that one out. I have pitched to Canal Boat magazine before, but the last pitch got no response. I've found with many editors that if you don't get a reply within a month or so then they're not interested in your idea. I sometimes call to check just in case they never received the email.

[quote=Wordy]I think I may have a piece in This England soon and Best of British is now becoming a regular slot for me. County titles are also a good outlet although rates of pay vary enormously. Last year I trebled the number of articles I wrote simply by writing things up for more than one market just adjusting for location or emphasis.[/quote]

I've found that The Countryman pays quite well, better than This England and Evergreen. Fortunately I write in my spare time as a hobby rather than for a living, otherwise I'd have to turn out many articles per month!
  • Must admit, I keep reading your posts DB and it makes me think I really should give article writing a go. :)

I just have so much other stuff to do, that thought then gets forgotten :(
  • [quote=dora]Must admit, I keep reading your posts DB and it makes me think I really should give article writing a go.[/quote]

You should give it a go. There are many magazines out there, and I get the impression there's more people trying to get fiction published than non-fiction.
  • Yes I know I should but, like I said, only so many hours in t'day.
  • [quote=dora]Yes I know I should but, like I said, only so many hours in t'day. [/quote]

24 to be exact :-D
  • "checks calculator"

Oooer.

Are you always this exact?

"wonders if DB is a secret ironer of underpants"
  • [quote=dora]"wonders if DB is a secret ironer of underpants" [/quote]

Never ironed a pair of undies in me life!
  • [quote=dora]Must admit, I keep reading your posts DB and it makes me think I really should give article writing a go.[/quote]

Me too.
  • Blimey, I'm well chuffed. Last year I sent an article off to Wiltshire Life and had given up on it, but just had a call from the editor asking me to resend the photos and saying it's going in the March issue that goes to press next week.
  • Oooh. Flavour of the month again, or wot?

Well done you.
  • Yay. Looks like it's going to be your year!
  • Congratulations, DB. Looks like you are on a roll so keep up those submissions and you'll soon reach and exceed your last year's total.
  • Doing really well, DB, congratulations.
  • Great news!