Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in April 2013's Writing Magazines?

edited March 2013 in - WM and WN
Who’s in April 2013's magazine? The magazines probably won’t be in the shops until 7th March so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and WHICH PAGE; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Remember: if mentioning a story, don’t give away the ending.

Comments

• Several TBers in Writers' Forum's latest issue - even one on the cover!
  • Oooh, I missed that Writers' Forum, Baggy.

I can't believe we're already discussing April's mag. It was just Christmas t'other day.
  • It's only just out - it's the current issue.

[quote=Tiny Nell]Oooh, I missed that Writers' Forum, Baggy.
    [/quote]
  • Ah, thanks. I'll have a look for it. I wish they had months on them, not issue numbers. Do you remember what number it is?
  • 137- blue background with lots of fluffy chicks along the bottom.
  • edited March 2013
    This issue of WM has the remaining competition special in it...
  • I haven't read the March issue yet! :(
  • edited March 2013
    Just received my copy and - horrors! Jeffrey Archer on the front cover.

Just been reading a snippet from Private Eye no 1333 8-21 Feb regarding him judging a short-story comp. a few years ago and for the winner to discover a re-worked version of her entry in his collection of shorts. When she complained, the reply was a letter from his lawyers.

PE is waiting to see which entries from this latest short-story challenge will get the same treatment.
  • My copy arrived this morning too.
  • And mine.
  • I love the winning poem in WN
  • I've won the poetry competion in Writers' News! Page 25.

Thanks for your kind comments, Nefertari.
  • I knew it was you. Didn't you know before?
    It's a beautiful poem and def a winner.
  • Yes, but I thought it best to wait until it was published in the magazine before mentioning it; just to make sure.
  • Oh, kado, that's wonderful!

I'll turn straight to it as soon as I get my copy.
  • [quote=kado]I've won the poetry competion in Writers' News! Page 25.
    [/quote]

Congratulations!

My copy arrived today. I've unwrapped it but will look at it later.
  • No post.

:(
  • Congratulations, Kado, well done.
  • My WM/WN copy arrived today. I am ever hopeful of seeing a familiar name in the 'runner-up and shortlisted' list for the WM short story comp. I can't see any names at all in this issue! Has the list been tucked away elsewhere in the mag? I can't find it.
  • Mine's now arrived. A great poem, kado!

[quote=Dee Jay] I am ever hopeful of seeing a familiar name in the 'runner-up and shortlisted' list for the WM short story comp. I can't see any names at all in this issue![/quote]

Yes, I wondered about that, DJ. I've scoured the magazine, but there's no shortlist.

Webbo, was that an oversight, or is there just first and second place for the Adult Fairy Story comp?
  • Congratulations Kado.
  • Oversight, sorry.
    Second place was Helen Walsh, Dunfermline. Runners-up were Kevin Chant, Worcester; Denise Joynes, Essex; Anthony Luke, Inverness; Kate Measom, Leicestershire; Gillian Shaw, Stockport.
  • Congratulations, short-listeds!
  • My copy has just arrived this afternoon. We must have one of the latest mail delivery's in the UK. Our mail arrives at any time between 12 noon and 4.00pm. Today it arrived at 3.40pm.
  • Hey up! I was shortlisted. Fippin' brilliant! Thanks for the list, Webbo.
  • Congratulations, Dee Jay!
  • Congrats to you too, Kado:)
  • Congrats to you both - off to open it up - I couldn't bear to before, what with that revolting man on the cover, I was thinking of just burying it.
  • My copy arrived this morning. Going to have a look through it now.
  • Nothing spectacular, but-weirdly- page 15 (WN Members Club) has two of the four Talk Backers who met last Saturday in Manchester ( see separate post on the run up and the meeting). What are the odds of that happening?
  • My post arrived so late I think it's tomorrow's arriving early...will have a read later - although I still have two older issues that are winking at me.

;)
  • Congrats to all those featured!
  • I make a surprising and shocking appearance on page WN18.
  • Congratulations Kado and well done Dee Jay too.

Wonder what Baggy's shock is? Will have to wait until I get to p18 to find out!
  • [quote=Baggy Books]I make a surprising and shocking appearance on page WN18.[/quote]

I hope the staples have been strategically placed.

Missed that. Must go back and look.
  • Just spotted you, Baggy. :)
  • Hah!

Got you.

It was like playing 'Where's Wally?'
  • Sorry to detract from the real contributors, but I couldn't resist. And it wasn't a lie.

Congrats to all, still checking the index.
  • Congratulations Jay-Dee and featured TB's. :0
  • You're all just teasing. I haven't had my copy yet. Congratulations to all who are inside. The WM, obviously. Unless of course you are inside. In which case, I hope it's time well served and you learn your lesson, you miscreants.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]I make a surprising and shocking appearance on page WN18. [/quote]

I make a small cameo appearance on WN18, as does dora and a few others.
  • Well done, Kado, on a beautiful winning poem. Congrats to Dee Jay for her runner-up in the short story comp and to those who feature on pages 15 and 18. :)
  • [quote=DeneBebbo]as does dora [/quote]

Do I?

I hope Jonfun Telfer has shown my better side.
  • [quote=Liz]what with that revolting man on the cover, I was thinking of just burying it.[/quote] I Did! I put mine face down on the desk and covered it in junk mail. I'm not happy my subscription is going towards publicity for him.

Congratulations to all the honest people who get a mention though.
  • One can always use the cover as a target when stuck mid-story: got to have something to do with those idle hands and those handy darts.
    Not that I've got a cover yet. Nor the middle bit, nor the end bit. But I got WF yesterday (the one with the chicks on it) and spotted a TB local moonlighting over there.
  • Draw glasses and facial hair on him.
  • Yes, I'm keeping the cover face down too.
  • [quote=dora]I hope Jonfun Telfer has shown my better side. [/quote]

Both of them.
  • OMG

"blushes"