Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Into the Woods

I'm incredibly happy to say my short story "Into the Woods" is published in this month's issue of Running out of Ink, and it's online now.

This is my first short story success, and I want to say thank you again to those who took the time to read it and give feedback.

http://www.runningoutofink.com/issue6index.html

Comments

• Many congratulations - I'm sure this success will spur you on - well done
  • Thanks, Betsie. It's given me a boost of confidence. I'm going to make sure it isn't my last success.
  • Well done, TS. Onwards and upwards!
  • Well done, TS.
  • Well done, TS - proud of you!
  • Congratulations. The first of many.
  • I remember reading it and it's a powerful piece of writing - well done.
  • Many congratulations! I'll bookmark this thread and come back to it as I haven't time to read your story right now.
  • Well done. I will have a read this eve!
  • Brilliant news, well done.
  • Oh brilliant, TS. Well done and congratulations!
  • Thank you, everyone.
  • Well done, TS.
  • Thanks, Debby.
  • Very accomplished piece of writing - well done.
  • Thanks, Ana, glad you liked it.
  • Now that's a coincidence, TS. Your short story title made me open the thread, thinking you would start a discussion on John Yorke's new book, Into The Woods: A Five Act Journey Into Story, published this week and critted in the Sunday Times. I've got a Waterstone's gift card and intend using it to get hold of this one. Apparently all classic stories follow the same - yes, the same - pattern, in common with successful stories up to the present day (including movies, TV drama), and JY has written this gripoping book outlining his theory. Can you see why I'll be getting the book - and why I opened your thread?

BTW, well done on the published story ;)
  • TS, huge congratulations to you.

*fanfare*

The world is watching you now you're out there, so make sure you tuck in your shirt tails!

I look forward to reading it, especially as you've received such positive comments so far. Well done.
  • Dwight, that is a coincidence. And it sounds like an interesting read. Probably expanding on narrative models such as Vladimir Propp's morphology of fairy tales, where Propp demonstrates the narrative elements and character types that all (at least Russian) fairy tales shared. Especially as the main title "Into the Woods" suggests of course fairy tales such as Hansel and Gretel. In fact I saw an amateur adaptation, by the University of Birmingham drama students, of the Stephen Sondheim musical "Into the Woods" just months before I wrote the original version of my story back in early 2010 (although my story's based on all sorts of things except that musical).

And thanks, Dwight :)

Thank you for the fanfare, Nell. I'll make sure I keep myself presentable, polish my shoes, keep my nose clean, wipe the biscuit crumbs away.

And I hope you like the story.
  • [quote=Tristram_Shandy]And I hope you like the story.[/quote]

Indeed I did.

It was powerful and visual with intriguing characters and such poignant back stories.

Tell us when your next one makes its public appearance so that we can form an orderly queue!
  • Nell - lucky you can't see me blushing. A big thank you.

Crikey, now the pressure's on!
  • *fans TS with a pad of A4 and pushes Bic into hand*

Now WRITE!
  • *gulps down a caffeinated coffee* And I was a recovering coffeeholic till now!
  • Just remember what Kathy Bates did in Misery.

*smiles slyly*
  • Wait, what are you doing with that mallet, Nell? I'm writing, I'm writing!
  • Finished? :D
  • Congratulations TS.
  • Um . . . Yes, Nell. Honest :) *gulp*

Thanks, Lizy.
  • Congratulations, Tristram_Shandy!
  • Thanks, Kado.