Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in May 2013's Writing Magazines?

2»

Comments

• [quote=Nefertari]Just got my mag, there is no shortlist again for the nostalgia poetry comp is there?[/quote]

I seem to remember a shortlist was missing last month too.

Someone in the WM office needs their wrists smacked by Webbo.
  • Mine arrived. Will have a read this afternoon.
  • Mine too.

There's a very good double page spread by someone we know and love.
  • Mine's here.
  • Jolly D. no-one has noticed my deliberate error! woo hoo.
    I have no flipping idea which magazine is WN. ('Well Now?' 'Which Nerd?' 'Why Not?' ')
    Of course I meant WM, you all knew that didn't you?
  • WN is the part inside WM that has lots of Market News- it used to be sent as a separate magazine with WM.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]There's a very good double page spread by someone we know and love.[/quote]

Yes, it's a very good article.
  • Just finished work so I may have a look - already flicked through and spotted a name or two.
  • Not got mine yet - have to wait until Tuesday!
  • It must be ever so strange seeing your own name in print. I wonder how it feels :D
  • Very useful article, on saving your work.
  • [quote=SilverLinings]I wonder how it feels[/quote]

Not as good as you think it will - well, in experience. I'm afraid I have too good an imagination. I know what it will feel like, I feel it in my thoughts, and it's all over and done with before it actually happens. I would have to say that dreaming it really is as good as having it.
  • [quote=Liz]I would have to say that dreaming it really is as good as having it.[/quote]

No, having the money makes it much better.

[quote=Carol]Very useful article, on saving your work.[/quote]

Very.

;)
  • I've found myself! Thanks for the nice comments on my article - I'm on p30 with 'Back Me Up on This'. The title is a Harry Hill quote which he used to say a lot in his early days.
  • Well done Lou!
  • Congratulations, Lou!
  • Well done.
  • Haven't had mine yet. Going to sulk now. What's worse is that I've be threatened with a DIY store in my near future, so I'm going to sulk twice.
  • Brilliant article, Lou.
  • [quote=Nefertari]Just got my mag, there is no shortlist again for the nostalgia poetry comp is there?[/quote]

Webbo! Is there a shortlist in a pile on your desk, maybe with a coffee stain on it?

At least two of us are interested!
  • I'd have thought you would automatically be on any 'short' list, TN
    http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_board/images/smiles/icon_roll.gif
  • Oh, ha ha ha.

And that goes for you, too, OLG, colluding with the snail.

*walks out on tiptoes*
  • Bought mine from Tesco today.

I got a free book with mine :)

Am I being rewarded for being a non-subscriber?
  • What was the book?
  • That's it. I quit subscribing *tut*
  • SL, I've noticed recently that a lot of magazines being sold in Supermarkets having been getting extras with their magazines, while the same magazine in WH Smith doesn't have that extra- or any extra at all.

Sometimes Tesco will have a glossy mag with a toiletries freebie, but Asda/Sainsbury etc. won't even though it is the same magazine...

WH Smith has been having a lot of buy a specific glossy or weekly fashion/celeb gossip type mag and you'll find it bundled up with another one for the cost of the one magazine. These bundles aren't available in the Supermarkets I don't think.

So the free book could have been a one-off.
  • [quote=Carol]What was the book?
    [/quote]

Alison Baverstock - Is there a book in you?
  • *looks*

No.
  • [quote=Carol]Sometimes Tesco will have a glossy mag with a toiletries freebie[/quote]

Wherever you buy it, every issue of The Sun comes with a large roll of toilet paper.
  • OG- :)
  • [quote=Onlinegenie]
    Wherever you buy it, every issue of The Sun comes with a large roll of toilet paper[/quote]

I thought it was a large roll of toilet paper...
  • Double oops. Nostalgia shortlist was:

Fiona Bailey, Grenhithe, Kent; Maggie Bolton, Kilmaurs, Ayrshire; Sandra Davis, Braintree, Essex; Gill Garrett, Cheltenham; Mary Halliwell, Penmaenmawr, North Wales; Maureen P Jones, Wolverhampton; Kaye Lee, London N10; Bill Lythgoe, Wigan; Maria Preston, Otley, West Yorkshire; Heather Smith, Woking, Surrey.
  • [quote=jangod]I thought it was a large roll of toilet paper[/quote]

Yes, perhaps the joke would have worked better as "The Sun provides you with a large roll of toilet paper".
  • edited April 2013
    [quote=dora]Alison Baverstock - Is there a book in you? [/quote]
    I consume books, in fact I am surprised at how many I have actually read, but there are none "in me" either.

ETA... all this free stuff that supermarkets package to sell more of a thing. You know they are sourced at the Publishing or Marketing branches. Small minded of them to to consider the bread and butter customers that will be tempted by the sparkly stuff and cease a subscription that is a regular, if reduced, income.
    Especially in this climate of "Can you live on £53 a week"
  • :)

I was on my way to buy the mag anyway. Quite pleased they have that thingy in it again, offering a gift if you subscribe.

Writing the form out as I write, don'tchaknow! :)

Reminds me of that song by Gloria Gaynor? 'I will subscribe, hey hey....' :)