Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Have you ever written naked?

edited July 2013 in - Writing Tales
That's just one of the questions I had to answer in this interview - http://womanontheedgeofreality.com/2013/07/04/meeting-patsy-collins-author-of-a-year-and-a-day/

Deemed a weird question to ask so I thought I'd ask you lot. Well, have you?

Comments

• yes - most mornings.
  • Nope. My office window is next to my desk. Even with the blinds closed I wouldn't feel safe.
  • Every time I write the word naked, I write naked. It's obvious.

But as to writing whilst wearing nothing at all, no...
  • Oh. I was expecting a photo of a naked Lola.
  • Not normally, as the computer is located in the dining room, which looks out onto the back garden, and which has houses at the back. However, just occasionally if I get an idea during the night hours, (when all curtains are closed), or I can't sleep anyway, I will go straight to the computer without bothering to dress, and may sit for half an hour or so, and then go back to bed.
  • edited July 2013
    As my office area is part of the living room, and it's next to the kitchen, and there's lots of windows including the one I look out of as I'm sat at the computer, you can safely say the answer is, no...:D

(Sorry PM, that's another long sentence I'm guilty of ;))
  • [quote=Phots Moll]Deemed a weird question to ask [/quote]

Why was it asked?

Stupid more than weird.
  • Imagine if you did and you had a webcam...
  • If you did and you had a webcam

then you would be weird AND stupid.
  • edited July 2013
    [quote=Baggy Books]Imagine if you did and you had a webcam...[/quote]
    I only use my webcam when I am specifically talking with friends on Skype, in which case I would be appropriately dressed. Otherwise, at all other times, it is quite definitely switched off.
  • I've never used my webcam. Except to take a couple of pics. Oh hang on - I used the webcam on the other computer when we had group writers' meetings and included our friend in Santa F
  • [quote=JohnWho63]it is quite definitely switched off.
    [/quote]

Aha, but is it?

You could be transmitting scenes to the world that you're not aware of simply because you've mistaken the thing for being off when it ain't.
  • Webcams show the picture you are taking onscreen. It is impossible to have them on without knowing, and in any case, you would have to choose an address to send your naked self to.
  • [quote=Liz]you would have to choose [/quote]

BUT

in this world of overpopulated by weirdos (and let's face it, that question about being naked is proof they are abundant)

who says we get to choose?
  • It's almost 2am and I've just seen this. I'm teetotal, but think I may be drunk.

Did someone really ask you that, Patsy? That is so weird.
  • [quote= Phots Moll]Well, have you?[/quote] Is there any other way?
    'We' poor writers are hard pressed to afford luxuries so, whilst the one set of clothing is washed and dried, it's a natural time to sit and write.
    Need to attempt generation of income to pay for the next washing cycle ........
  • [quote=Jenthom72]Did someone really ask you that, Patsy? That is so weird.
    [/quote]

I know. I wonder if their next question was

*and what colour knickers are you wearing?*

Most odd.
  • [quote=dora]Jenthom72 wrote: Did someone really ask you that, Patsy? That is so weird.

I know. I wonder if their next question was

*and what colour knickers are you wearing?*

Most odd.[/quote]
    You're right, it is odd. It seems to be asked a lot these days however. I've heard chat show hosts ask celebrities - especially female ones - if they have done x or whatever naked. The world seems obsessed with nudity and nakedness. :D
  • Heck, no!

My creativity would be hugely limited if I was worried about having me bits on show.

We all have windows in our houses. Who knows when the postman is going to scuffle by, or the cheery face of the window cleaner will appear?

*puts on an extra hoodie and paints window with Windowlene*
  • I think it was asked to try to keep the interview lighthearted and so it would be different from other author interviews. If you do a lot of them, as this blogger does, there's a danger of them all blending into one. I think she does a great job of presenting writers as individuals.
  • [quote=Carol]that's another long sentence I'm guilty of[/quote] Ah! You're still talking to me though :-)
  • edited July 2013
    [quote=Liz]Webcams show the picture you are taking onscreen. It is impossible to have them on without knowing, and in any case, you would have to choose an address to send your naked self to. [/quote]

That's not true. There was a case in the paper a couple of weeks ago where someone's lappy was hacked into and she was transmitting photos of herself without knowing. And another guy was able to trace his stolen lappy because it was transmitting images, via a program he wrote, of the thief.

I always wear a brown paper bag over my head when using any computer.

[quote= Phots Moll] I think she does a great job of presenting writers as individuals. [/quote]

I've never met her, but she lives near me and held an event (not for writers) at the arts centre across the road from my house.

*waves*
  • Everytime I'm on TB :D Even when I pop on at work!
  • "gulps"
  • Not completely naked, no. In the middle of the night I'll comedown stairs in whatever I've got on and write for a while if I can't sleep. If it's really hot I won't wear a shirt but I will have bottoms of some sort on. I've heard of one writer, although I can't remember who, who said she simply can not write with shoes of socks on. I thought that was rather interesting, she said it constrained her creative juices. A friend of mine can't write unless his dog is sitting under his chair with him.
  • I read something where writers talked about dressing appropriately for what they were writing. If it was chicklit for example they wore high heel shoes to help put them in the mood.
  • Very occasionally I'll write a bit with my laptop on a breakfast tray before I get out of bed. Depending on the season, there may only be a duvet between me and the rest of the world. I'm not sure that counts.

Victor Hugo is known for writing naked, standing at a lectern in a specially built sunroom at the top of his house in Guernsey. The house is tall enough for him to have been fairly certain of not being overlooked (although, having visited the house and finding out about what he was like, I'm not convinced he would have cared either way).
  • edited July 2013
    [quote= Phots Moll]I read something where writers talked about dressing appropriately for what they were writing. If it was chicklit for example they wore high heel shoes to help put them in the mood.[/quote]

I believe it's obligatory at this point for somebody to say, "...And that's just the men!"
  • OMG, Baggy!
  • edited July 2013
    [quote= Phots Moll]Carol wrote: that's another long sentence I'm guilty of

Ah! You're still talking to me though [/quote]

Of course.

Very valid points in your critique, Patsy. Considering I only wrote that story in the two days before it was due to be handed in, I thought I might just scrape into 2nd or 3rd place...:)
  • [quote=Jenthom72]Did someone really ask you that, Patsy? That is so weird.[/quote]

I expect they did. When I saw the title of the thread I knew I had seen the question before. It came up in a list of questions I was sent for an author interview questionnaire for a guest blog spot. I suppose they think it's funny. I'm not sure if I answered that one or not. :)
  • [quote=Liz]OMG, Baggy! [/quote]

It gets worse...she used her lappy to read books...in the bath.
  • Yep, but it's usually when I get a good idea or a bit of the novel I need to write down just after a shower, so I'm sat on a towel on the bed.
  • I read the interview yesterday- followed Patsy's link on Facebook- and yes that question was asked. I believe a towel was involved somewhere...;)
  • I think that question is actually out of order.
  • I guess lindaph thought it would provoke a reaction...which it has.
  • Bored Robots: I was going to say only when I'm at work :)

But more seriously - and kind of the reverse of the question - I can't write if I'm even slightly cold (so definitely no naked writing in the winter ;) )
  • [quote=Liz]I think that question is actually out of order.[/quote] It wasn't compulsory to answer that one (or many of the others) Liz.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]it would provoke a reaction[/quote]

Yes, now why am I reminded of being bitten by a mosquito.
  • *scratches*
  • I think it must be really uncomfortable to write naked, especially in the winter. In the summer you'd stick to your chair, and in the winter you'd come out in goose pimples.
  • I've discovered I can watch tennis naked.
  • But, honestly Baggy, why would you WANT to?
  • Market research? If it's good enough for lindaph, it's good enough for us.

Just wish I was at home and not with friends.
  • I don't think I could write naked. I wouldn't be able to concentrate.
  • Maybe we need a naked hour on TB?

Dress...casual?
  • pbwpbw
    edited July 2013
    Goodness. Only in summer please, unless you can provide a heated thread.

Going to draw a veil over this now.
  • *covers up*
  • *types from behind yukka*