Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in September 2013's Writing Magazines?

edited July 2013 in - WM and WN
Yes, it's that time again...

Who’s in September 2013's magazine? The magazines probably won’t be in the shops until 1st August so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and WHICH PAGE; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Remember: if mentioning a story, don’t give away the ending.

Comments

• Ooohh am I the first? My mag arrived about an hour ago. I've had my first flick through so can't wait to sit down and read from cover to cover. Kettles on! (but bring your own biscuits)
  • Ah bum!

I'm just not really my Writers' Mag quick enough!
  • I find it much harder to get through since they made it one magazine. Wish it was two again.
  • edited July 2013
    Pull the middle out and re-staple the mags seperately. You can pretend nothing has changed then.

*sighs*
  • Makes no difference to how long it takes to read. I've never managed to read it all - in either format.
  • Quite a few TB's featured in this issue.

Got quite a few interesting articles too.
  • Spotted two, so far!
  • I always pull the middle out and make two mags. Simps.
  • Goodness! You mean the season of mellow fruitfulness is upon us already?

(My copy hasn't arrived today - probably tomorrow).
  • I'm in Members' News on p.16 talking about my new novella, Hell To Pay. Very pleased.
  • Well done Jenthom - expect I will get to that bit soon and can read all about it.
  • Congratulations, Jenthom. :)
  • That's great news, Jenthom, I hope I'll be in there one day.

You have to live in hope.
  • I haven't yet seen a copy as I am away on the Caerleon Writers Holiday, but I believe I should have an article in there about analysing short stories. Could someone please confirm??
  • Yes you have Viv! Congratulations! I will be reading it later.
  • Yes, congratulations, Viv.
  • Congratulations, Viv and Jenthom!
  • There's still a writer to reveal their inclusion. Though they probably won't have had their copy yet. :)
  • I know who you mean, Carol. Just spotted it:)

Well done, Viv.
  • well done Viv and Jenthom!
    I won't see my copy til I go home in 2 weeks. Are there any poetry comp results in this month's?
  • Or story comp results?
  • There are poetry comp results for the poetry mini-comp- the foreign expressions one.
    And the 750 word story competition as well.
  • Lots of TBers in words and photos - just chuckling at the poetry comp winner.

Congrats to all!
  • Very pleased to get several mentions in Sally Jenkins's article on e-publishing.
  • It's a good issue.

Lots of TBers in there. I'm very impressed.

*Thinks...really MUST contribute*
  • I'm in the Members News section.
  • Congratulation DB. :)
  • Hi folk! I have a letter in the September issue that is responding to the 'star letter' from the previous month.
  • [quote=Jenthom72]I'm in Members' News on p.16 talking about my new novella, Hell To Pay. Very pleased.
    [/quote]

Great stuff, Jenthom.

[quote=Viv]Could someone please confirm??
    [/quote]
    Well done, Viv. Good article that.

[quote=montholon]Very pleased to get several mentions in Sally Jenkins's article on e-publishing.
    [/quote]

Well done.

[quote=DeneBebbo]I'm in the Members News section.
    [/quote]
    Yes, seen you. Well done.

[quote=writebag]Hi folk! I have a letter in the September issue that is responding to the 'star letter' from the previous month. [/quote]

Ooh, welldone. Btw, did you mention Helen Baggott again? Only a lot of people googled Helen after the last one you wrote that mentioned her, and she did quite well out of it thank you very much. Looks like you're a great marketing tool for Helen, writebag.

Well done to everyone else, not yet seen they're in there/mentioned. :)
  • Well done writebag.

Yes, we're waiting for the big announcement from one TBer :)
  • Well done, all.

I look forward to spotting you all when I get back off me hols.
  • @Dora, no mention of that person this time. Such a shame if someone needs my input to increase their hits hahaha!
    This letter is about proper writers v those who work for free.
  • Lol @ write bag. No, you silly billy you, I don’t think my comment said anything about needing anyone.

What I meant was I think it’s great, and kinda funny, Helen received such a positive response despite the negativity that letter writing person seem to be consumed with, lol.

Hey ho.

Proper writer?

*bemused*

Do you mean a 'professional' writer rather than 'proper' only I'd have thought anyone who writes is 'proper' (ooer, am I in danger of sounding all chavvy now with all this 'ere talk of 'proper' innit!)

Professional (I'd have thought although I could be wrong) is one who writes for a fee, althoug one can professional in one's approach to producing writing for free.
  • [quote=Carol]Yes, we're waiting for the big announcement from one TBer [/quote]

When will this person come and make the announcement? I am all excited.
  • all right - to put you all out of your misery - it's me!

Carol FB'd me to tell me I've won the foreign phrases poetry prize, which is great.

It would be even better if I had a copy of WM, and if I didn't suspect my subscription had run out!

Murphy's Law strikes again? I shall watch out for the post lady just in case.
    :P
  • Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

We knew, just needed you to come and say. :D :D :D

Well done.

Lizy, I can scan a copy and email it you if you can't get it any other way.

xx
  • Congratulations, Lizy. :)
  • dora - you're a star.
    when I've done my shopping - before the day heats up too much - I shall see if I've got the poem on file.
    I should have it somewhere. It's just that WM takes so long to announce winners and short-listers that one forgets what one's entered.

And by the way - I always thought they contacted the winners for a photo?
    :)
  • [quote=Lizy]all right - to put you all out of your misery - it's me![/quote]

Thank goodness you know - I was about to burst!

Congrats!
  • Lizy, they've printed yours and 2 runner-up poems in a narrow column, so there wasn't room for a picture like the full page ones. :(
  • Do you mean to tell me that poets are regarded as second class writers?
    Because their work is shorter it can be squeezed into any old left-over space?
    That's shocking - it takes just as long to perfect a poem as it does a short story.
  • I think it was done this way because they were only short pieces unlike the usual poetry competition wins. Your picture would have had to be really tiny to fit in. :)

And it may be that space was tight- especially if you could see how many great articles there are in this issue.
  • Dora, a professional writer is a 'proper' writer! hee hee!

Getting back to the 'star' letter from the previous edition of WM. There is a lot more behind the young lady's letter than meets the eye. She was out to target a 'proper' writer by writing to mags where the person has contributed in the past. However, the editor's response and that of the readers who responded has given her food for thought!
  • [quote=Lizy]all right - to put you all out of your misery - it's me!
    [/quote]

Oh dear, I'd managed to miss that completely! (hangs head)

Many congratulations, Lizy, to you and all the other featured TBers.

(not sure Lizy really qualifies for 'foreign expression poetry', being Tenerieffian and halfway foreign anyway. ;) )
  • edited August 2013
    [quote=snailmale]being Tenerieffian and halfway foreign anyway.[/quote]

The word is Tinerfeno - or, as I was female last time I looked, Tinerfena.
    (That second n is actually an n-yay as in espana but TB won't do one of those.

I would like to point out that I did not use one Spanish phrase in that poem.
    "Goes to bed in a huff"
  • [quote=Lizy]Carol FB'd me to tell me I've won the foreign phrases poetry prize, which is great.[/quote]

Congrats, Lizy, i was so pleased when I saw that! Brilliant.
  • [quote=Lizy]"Goes to bed in a huff"[/quote]

Had you down as more a onesie sort of a girl.
  • That was a clever poem, Lizy!

Well done to all featured TBers - you have done us proud again!
  • Keep the appearances in print going...:)
  • [quote=writebag]This letter is about proper writers v those who work for free. [/quote]

But what about improper writers who don't work for free? :-)