Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in October 2013's Writing Magazines?

edited September 2013 in - WM and WN
Who’s in October 2013's magazine? The magazines probably won’t be in the shops until 5th September so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and WHICH PAGE; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Remember: if mentioning a story, don’t give away the ending.

Comments

• I believe I have an article in there about The British Library. Obviously, not seen it yet!!
  • My post has been but no magazine. :(
  • OMG, surely not yet? I really haven't got through any of the last one even, or the one before! Hey, Webbo, can you put less in please?

I would also like:

All TB references and articles to be in one place.

All poetry stuff in one place, including those things down the sides.
  • My copy arrived in the post this lunchtime.

Yes, Viv, your article is in this issue. Congratulations.
  • Yippee, my WM has arrived. Have had a VERY kwik flik through but I haven't recognised any names yet (apart from Viv). Come on please 'fess up.
    I've had a heavy morning sorting out the garden so now I'm going to sit out in the sun and read it.
    Also I am determined to enter more comps this year, so the Competition special mag will come in very useful.

I bought this month's Woman's Weekly Fiction Special today. There are many familiar names in it, any TBers care to own up?
  • My copy's arrived. I shall be ripping the plastic off it soon...
  • Well, I could rip the plastic off a thing or two, but not WM. We far-flung corners of the globe have to wait.
    Seems odd to be talking of the October issue when it's 28C out.
  • [quote=Victoria44]Also I am determined to enter more comps this year, so the Competition special mag will come in very useful.[/quote]

I think Erewash Writers' Group Open Comp for 2014 should be in there. :) If the judge's name is there, it'll be a name you all (mostly all) will recognise. :D
  • Read your article, Viv, and very interesting it was too. Maybe you could also throw light on something I've been wondering about. Are self published writers required by law to supply copies of their books to the British Library?
  • I just bought the September issue in WH Smiths today.
  • Sod October, who's in July 2015's WM?
  • Spotted some TBers - but feeling a tad sorry for Maggie Spooner on page 27.
  • Why? Who is Maggie Spooner?
  • Do you have a copy?
  • Not yet, but I will.

Will I need a box of Kleenex handy?
  • page 27 of which WN? WM orthe comp special?
  • The main mag. It's the poetry shortlist. Everyone's name is in bold, except hers.
  • no also Pamela Hodge is not in bold.
  • I caught my copy as the postman pushed it through the letterbox, so it never even touched the floor.
  • I started reading it, before I had to stop and go out to the writers' club.

Looks another great issue, Webbo.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Everyone's name is in bold, except hers.[/quote]

To the mere non-writing civilian, this would go unnoticed, but to a writer... it almost requires medication.
  • And Pamela Hodge - they've both been un-bolded.

:(
  • Fingers crossed mine come today .
  • [quote=Baggy Books]And Pamela Hodge - they've both been un-bolded.[/quote]

Perhaps Webbo should offer a counselling service as a sideline.
  • I think the point of boldening and unemboldening is to show distinction between names, ie split them up to read easier on the eye as they're all in one paragraph. Maybe somebody has been emboldened when they should be non emboldened.

Oh dear. I wonder who on WM has the responsibility for the special effects department and for passing this info on to the admin staff? :) SFX as in highlighter pens and the like :)

Still, as least she wasn't missed out entirely.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]Perhaps Webbo should offer a counselling service as a sideline.
    [/quote]

Hmm. Would that be an underlined sideline or a double emboldened sideline? Lord help us if it's open brackets, close brackets.
  • edited September 2013
    [quote=bored_robots]Sod October, who's in July 2015's WM?[/quote]
    You!
    Wouldn't that be cool?!

I've set our font investigators on the case of identifying the un-bolders. Might be tricky though, the font police and un-bolders are most likely the same people. If only there was some figurehead in charge of the magazine who could take responsibility either way... oh no, wait, hang on.
  • [quote=Webbo]I've set our font investigators on the case of identifying the un-bolders.[/quote]

Maybe flowers to the ladies in question would be a nice gesture? We all like to keep our magazine mentions and they'll feel a tad low about it. It would be a bold gesture.

*shuts up*
  • [quote=Webbo]You!
    Wouldn't that be cool?![/quote]

Dammit! Now I have to make it my mission to be in that edition :D
  • Wow! That would be something special. Go for it!
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]To the mere non-writing civilian, this would go unnoticed, but to a writer... it almost requires medication.[/quote]

I still haven't forgiven Webbo about my one-and-only letter to WM being published over someone else's name.

I was almost in therapy.
  • Arrived home from a lovely day at Cholmondeley Castle Gardens to find October's WM on the mat. Reading for tonight sorted!
  • Got mine, too. Unwrapped, but not read.
  • [quote=snailmale]I was almost in therapy.[/quote]

Ooooooooow... this explains SUCH a lot.
  • Got mine but no chance yet to look at it. Probably be bedtime reading tonight.
  • [quote=pbw]Probably be bedtime reading tonight.[/quote]

That was my plan, but Tess Gerritsen won instead.
  • Just started reading mine. Nice letter praising one of our TBers!

Comps info very useful.
  • [quote=Carol]Remember: if mentioning a story, don’t give away the ending. [/quote]

The butler did it.
  • I think the poetry section needs a revamp and also there is hardly anything about writing for children these days.
  • Thanks to Jonathan and team for putting info in the main mag about the Open comp which closes end of Sept.

:)
  • Saw that, dora. Very professional-looking. Hopefully it will boost the entries.
  • edited September 2013
    I HAVEN'T HAD MINE YET. I'LL STHCREAM AND STHCREAM AND STHCREAM TILL I'M SICK!
  • *passes bucket*
  • STrewth, S&M, you can pass a bucket?

If I so much as strain at a dried pea that's made it through the system, I'm in agony.

What a party piece.

*pulls string on party popper*
  • Thanks Webbo and team for some really engaging articles this month. Particularly useful to me were the interview with Tracy Chevalier, From the chicken's mouth, James McCreet and the tribute to Iain Banks. Also the interview with Geoffrey Gudgion (I always wondered what was the exact definition of "Timeslip" fiction).

Congratulations to the many TBers - spotted a few names in there.
  • Congratulations, Viv, great article.
  • What articles? What interviews? I STILL HAVEN'T HAD MY COPY!
  • Oh. Those articles. Must read later.