Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

New e-publishing video/beardwatch

edited October 2013 in - WM and WN
Hello everyone,
We've just put together another video to help promote the epublishing app. I haven't even put this on the site yet, just thought you might like a sneak preview! It's just me talking about some of the advantages of e-publishing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn4mmo9pBD8

Comments

• *checks watch*

It's before 9pm. Is this wise?
  • To create those three minutes, I edited out over 7 hours of sweary outtakes. And Dora jumping out of a cupboard. So yes, this version is safe before the watershed.
  • In summary - retain control, go at your own pace, improve incoming, and editors are essential to have around...I bet Webbo says that to all the ladies :P
  • edited October 2013
    Get started now?

Is that a suitable phrase at 4pm of an afternoon?

*comes over all feint like and has a sit down*

For soem reason, can't gerrit the sound to work and can't get my earhorn to work very well, despite spitting down and it and blowing hard. *not happy*
  • I've had this sound problem too Dora. Been having issues with some websites ever since Chrome was updated the other day. :(
  • You're miming, Webbo. You do it very well, and you look lovely (there's a bear in beard, you know) but you are so quiet. Not to say silent. But quite animated.
  • [quote=Mrs Bear](there's a bear in beard, you know[/quote]

What? That's a bear in a beard in that film?

*wonders if the beard stops at the chin or if more will be revealed in the next film*
  • What's that in the far right corner?

*stares*

I can't hear Webbo on Chrome, but I can on the other IE thingy.

*thinks the singing works well*
  • Didn't work on IE either. Haven't tried Firefox yet.
  • edited October 2013
    I managed to hear it using the link from Facebook...
  • [quote=Baggy Books]What's that in the far right corner?[/quote]

I think it's Orville's beak. He's come to stare at Webbo, try and put him off.

Either that or corner of t'desk.
  • It's a beak. Definitely. That would make more sense.
  • Did anyone notice Jonathan kept peeking at his notes? :)
  • That's not what I thought he was looking at.
  • You mean...there was someone lying on the floor holding up his script on big wads of paper? :)
  • What Baggy, are you thinking of? It doesn't involved Orville does it?
  • [quote=Webbo]To create those three minutes, I edited out over 7 hours of sweary outtakes. And Dora jumping out of a cupboard.[/quote]

Stroo. Though I'm still wondering why he wrote those swears into his script in the first place if he wasn't going to use them.
  • Hmmm. Maybe he's going to sell the un-cut version?
  • If I'm going to be honest, I'ds say it's quite a sexist speech.

After all, it's all about an ebook.

Where's the informaton on an 'er book? Eh? Eh?
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Hmmm. Maybe he's going to sell the un-cut version?
    [/quote]

We're not talking facial hair again are we?
  • *nods*

I quite fancy publishing an 'er book.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]I quite fancy publishing an 'er book.[/quote]

:D
  • Oh dear, sound is fine for us here.
    There's apparently a bug that randomly mutes Youtube in certain browsers. Just check at the bottom left of the video that the little speaker hasn't got a cross next to it (and if it does, click it!). It's separate from your main system volume. That might not solve it for all but it's a start.
  • edited October 2013
    I shouldn't worry to much about the sound, Webbo. There's a gaggle of women-of-a-certain-age on here, enthralled by the video, but with absolutely no interest in the quality of the sound. I think what you're doing is over and above the call of duty.
  • *replays*

Ahhhh.
  • Listening on Chrome and can't hear it at all.
  • Didn't work on Firefox.
  • Didn't work on Safari.
  • Sorry. It's not the beard, SM. Without the voice I'm noticing every imperfection.
  • Maybe only Webbo's favourites can hear him?

*feels blessed*
  • Liz, and anybody else still having problems, even if there's not that cross there next to the volume icon, could you just check that the volume isn't set down to 0 within Youtube? Apparently the latest update to flash player set the volume to 0 and obviously won't tell you so!
    Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest now - it works okay on our Macs on Safari, Firefox and Chrome. Have you successfully watched any other youtube videos in those browsers recently?
  • Chrome-specific discussion of no sound on youtube, which explains the workaround, here: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/cgUUBlw0Auo%5B1-25-true%5D
    Google's general advice for no sound troubleshooting: http://support.google.com/youtube/answer/58132?hl=en-GB
  • I've changed the version of the video in the top post - it's not a fix for those with NO sound, for which see my last few posts, but if the original had sound but seemed rather quiet, this one should be quite a bit louder
  • Earlier today the sound was really turned down, Webbo, but now it's perfectly audible, so you've been tweaking when I wasn't listening. I'm on Firefox.
  • I quite like the silence.
  • Thanks, Webbo, I did notice the sound was muted on YouTube, but I didn't realise you also had to click on the speaker. Working fine now.
  • Yay, hopefully all good now!

[quote=Baggy Books]I quite like the silence.[/quote]
    Next time I'll do you one with no audio and a blacked out screen - that would be my preferred option too. I could always put the text on as captions if need be, but I think less is definitely more.
  • Ooooh. Captions would be good...
  • edited October 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udzveYjKUpQ&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share
  • Brilliant! Did you register with Youtube specifically to post that?!
  • Ummmm. No. You're not my first...
  • Words in pictures: BB, you're branching out.
  • [quote=Webbo] I could always put the text on as captions [/quote]

Wasssthiss? Webbo is going to wear a cap next time?

[quote=Baggy Books]You're not my first...
    [/quote]

I could tell by the shaky camera handling.
  • [quote=Mrs Bear]you're branching out[/quote]

We are all trees in the forest that is humanity.

[quote=dora]I could tell by the shaky camera handling.[/quote]

*gulps*
  • [quote=Webbo]I edited out over 7 hours of sweary outtakes. And Dora jumping out of a cupboard.[/quote]

*wonders if one caused the other* I thought you looked extremely tired...
  • [quote=Baggy Books]We are all trees in the forest that is humanity.[/quote

Baggy is having an uncharacteristically profound moment.

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_board/images/smiles/icon_thinks.gif
  • I always say you can trust a man with a beard.

Apart from the Yorkshire Ripper and Harold Shipman.
  • [quote=Liz]*wonders if one caused the other* I thought you looked extremely tired...[/quote] [quote=Liz]Liz![/quote]

I meant the shock of dora appearing from orifices around the office. I mean... *decides to stop digging*