Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Roman military fiction

edited November 2013 in Writing
My new book "The Centurion Chronicles Book Two The Belgae" is now live on Amazon UK. It is the second installment in my Centurion Chronicles series.
Centurion.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Well done, Centurion. Now, park your Eagle in the hall-stand, change in to a toga and tell us who you are.
  • *pulls on a toga*

Yes, welcome to TB - but please do share some information - not just about your book.

http://www.myemoticons.com/images/world/italy/coliseum.gif

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldier-Rome-Centurion-Artorian-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B004J8HVZQ
  • *twiggles thumbs and considers whether a down or up position is in order*
  • Very bad History jokes. ... Teacher: How was the Roman Empire cut in half? Pupil: With a pair of Caesars!

An Ancient Rome history joke
    1st Roman Soldier: What is the time?
    2nd Roman Soldier: XX past VII!

The Latin professor's class was conjugating verbs and it got to be Julius's turn. He had not been paying close attention. He turned to the student beside him and asked, "What's the verb?"
    She replied, "Damn if I know."
    So our hero sat up and conjugated:
    Damifino, damifinas, damifinat.
    Damifinamus, damifinatis, damifinant.
  • [quote=snailmale]Well done, Centurion. Now, park your Eagle in the hall-stand, change in to a toga and tell us who you are.[/quote]
    [quote=Baggy Books]Yes, welcome to TB - but please do share some information - not just about your book.[/quote]

Ditto! (Hate it when someone joins to post their advert and never returns - hope you're not one of that ilk, Centurion.)
  • I've been a writer for many years. At present I'm writing a fiction series, “The Centurion Chronicles” which deals with Julius Caesar's conquest of Gaul. I also provide monthly content to The Maltese Cross which is a firefighting newsletter. I contribute human interest articles to Florida Currents Magazine. I like the process of writing. Different genres present me with different challenges & the resulting satisfaction that comes with satisfying my readers & living up to their expectations.
    My favorite aspect of the writing process are the spontaneous bursts of creativity that are the result of hours of grunt work. I'm motivated by a desire to create. Writing is my career.
    I have many favorite authors. Here are a few. Louis Ferdinand Celine for his wry cynicism & humor, Andre Malreaux for his painfully accurate insights into the human condition, Par Lagerkvist for the breadth & scope of his ideas, George V. Higgens for his dialogue.
    My favorite motivational phrase is: On the other side of fear lies freedom.
    Books, Writings, and Routines
    I write in a home office every day except Sunday. I use general outlines whose purpose is to point me in the direction I want to go, not tell me how to get there. My books & magazine articles have no morals or themes. They are written to inform & entertain. The experiences in my books are based purely on my imagination. Once I've gone through the necessary rewrites & the book is published I never look back. What's done is done. I move on to the next project.
    My series, “The Centurion Chronicles” tells the story of two parallel lives, Centurion Sextius Baculus & Julius Caesar & how those lives are intertwined through & because of historical events. Technically it's called history from above & below. It takes many months to write a book. I've never had writer's block.
    J.M. Garlock
    http://www.actionmysteries.com
  • C2C2
    edited November 2013
    Well there we have it in a nut shell. Thankyou Centurion.
    Glad to hear you never have writers block. Is there such a thing as writers block, or is writing like house work,
    you just get sick of doing it, on times?
  • Welcome, Centurion.

Now we know all about you and your writing habits (and I'm beginning to feel very inferior!).

I love your motivational phrase, by the way.
  • [quote=Maro]Is there such a thing as writers block, or is writing like house work, you just get sick of doing it, on times?
    [/quote]

If a professional writer has deadline to meet for an editor, there is no such thing as writers block. This is because if the writing doesn't get writ, the job doesn't get paid for, the writer is unlikely to be used again by that editor because they'll be seen as unreliable.

For me, it is a necessary to take a break from writing from time to time.

Writing isn't like housework, 'cos my housework never gets done. Although it will this weekend as I have ma-in-law on a visit.
  • Hi, Centurion.
  • [quote=dora] 'cos my housework never gets done.[/quote]
    I don't believe that for one minute, coming from the lady who like a good rummage.

Take a break from writing, that I can agree with.
  • Hello Centurion.

We all need to recharge our writing batteries occasionally.
  • [quote=Maro]I don't believe that for one minute, coming from the lady who like a good rummage. [/quote]

Well, put it this way.

My mother in law phoned y'day to let me know she was coming at the weekend and these were her very words

'to give you time to, erm, you know, prepare (followed by nervous laughter)'

*sigh*

It's difficult trying to achieve the same succsss as a perfect mother-in-law-come-Superwoman. Thus, I don't bother.
    I grew up in a state of chaos anyway, so it's no big deal to me.

Okay, I suggest we take this thread back to topic now, all this talk of housework is making me feel ill.

[quote=Centurion]My new book "The Centurion Chronicles Book Two The Belgae" is now live on Amazon UK. It is the second installment in my Centurion Chronicles series. Centurion.
    [/quote]