Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

In search of a posh, word-obsessed weirdo!

edited November 2013 in Writing
Dear Fellow Writers, it's my very first experience with this forum, so I may be way out of line in what I'm about to write, if so, please reprimand me!

I am currently considering improving my writing capabilities through means more interactive than self-addressed stories, namely, I am looking for rather sophisticated letter exchange(s) with a like-minded person (of whatever age and whichever gender) willing to share their views, favourite quotes, musings and such. Being a student and a teacher of English in Poland, I mostly come into contact with non-natives, who - alas - don't enrich me linguistically at all, neither are they able to correct me and give advice on how to enhance my skills. However conceited it may sound, I believe I'm proficient enough to enter into a discussion on a level satisfying for a native interlocutor and thus dare deem myself a fairly worthy correspondent ;) Not least are my knowledge of cognitive linguistics, axiology, semantics, psychology and neuro-cognitivism, all of which, I believe, allow me to absorb and respond to, as well as share human-mind-related knowledge.

Should you happen to know anyone likely to be interested in the above, or be interested yourself!, do not hesitate to either at least spread the word or contact me directly at: [email protected]

PS. Pardon the excessive self-advertising, I just thought it'd be a good idea to mention what I can bring to the table. Peace!

Comments

• Hi, Shine.

For conversations with weirdos you're in the right place. We're not all posh, but I believe we all have some level of word obsession.
  • Welcome. Just make yourself at home here, Michal. Most of us are geniuses. If you want linguistics, all of us can oblige. Obviously only some of us are posh. Posh isn't something we aspire to though... it is usually thrust upon one at birth.

I think a mix of people would be better, come and be entertained, and entertain us. It would fabulous to have you here.
  • Do join in here, Michal - we can be posh, we can be common, but we are rarely boring!
  • Forgot to say. We are ALL weird.
  • [quote=Liz]We are ALL weird.[/quote]

Speak for yourself, Liz...

Welcome, Shine!

It seems to me that you have a wonderful grasp of the English language. It would be nice if you stayed for the ride, even though you may find a pen-friend here. I think you'd find this a great place to exercise your skill and I, for one, would love to know the meanings of axiology and neuro-cognitivism...
  • edited November 2013
    Welcome!

Any thread that mentions a weirdo is going to be very popular here...
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]would love to know the meanings of axiology and neuro-cognitivism...[/quote]

i think he just means thinking about and talking about morality, religion, art, science, economics, politics, laws, and customs.

Wot we do here every day in other words. Apart from the religion. And politics.
  • Hello Shine.

We all like words, lots of them. :D
  • Very pleased to meet you Shine. Hope you enjoy visiting this site with us and have some useful interchanges.
  • Hi Shine - weirdo? I think I qualify.
  • Thank you all for such numerous replies! Indeed it seems that I've come to the right place. I shall soon acquaint myself with the contents of this website in more detail so that I'm better equipped to enter into discussions, for now, however, let me start one of my own, if you please. I'm really interested in what you - as native speakers - perceive as memorable, mind-blowing, stylistically dazzling quotes as opposed to me - a non-native. Does one's place of birth determine one's linguistic sensitivity? Am I easier to impress due to not having had contact with English from birth? Perhaps you will deem that which mesmerizes me to be mere child's play? There is only one way to find out, namely, to share quotes which have changed our lives (or at least opened our eyes on some matters, enriched our worldview, etc.*). Here is one of my all time favourites, it may not be very complex and flowery, but the message, oh the message!

"It is only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything." Fight Club

*do we place a comma before etc.? as far as I remember I've seen both versions (either with or without it), so I'm never sure...
  • Hi again, Shine.
    According to the Oxford Style Manual, you only use a comma before 'etc.' in a list of three or more items, the reason given being that you need at least three items in order to establish the factors that link them. You only have two, so don't need one here.

My phrase: 'I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I am.'

You write in a more formal fashion, perhaps, than a native speaker. You probably use more of the language than we do. We become lazy in everyday communication, and speak in a kind of shorthand. I have a habit of speaking in paragraphs, and when I worked in a school (for intelligent boys aged 11-18) one of them threw up his hands in despair and asked, 'Do you have to talk like that?' He was studying English at A Level, so I knew a touch of despair of my own!
  • "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

Interesting that the quotes so far seem to be driven by the sentiment rather than the use of language - which is generally the kind of writing that I prefer, too.
  • OK, Shine, I have two favourite quotes, but I have no idea who first coined them:

'Do not follow where the path may lead; go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.'

'If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours; if it doesn't, it never was.' (Sentimental, but always good advice after a break-up!)

I think it you read some contemporary English fiction or watch modern TV dramas set in the UK, you will get a feel for speech that sounds natural. I think, presently, in your written language you are using structures and vocabulary which would be more common in classic literature rather than informal, everyday speech. Saying that, you have a superb command of the language and a very impressive range of vocabulary - larger than the average Brit, without a shadow of a doubt!

(I have added a few colloquialisms. Can you spot them?! :))
  • It is indeed great to see content-based quotes, all of them go straight into my collection!

As for the level of formality of the language I use, I'm fully aware that I could hardly get away with it in everyday situations!;) Colloquial speech holds for me almost as much appeal as the literary language does, it's just that I prefer the latter, even whilst using my native tongue! As you might guess, some people think it rather funny, others even get irritated and accuse me of delivering a lecture instead of conversing with them, which always brings joy into my heart for it shows that my ruse has been successful! I suppose I just like to have fun with language in general and all its forms and varieties, test its boundaries, and mould it so that it reflects my thoughts as reliably as possible.

Fear not, however, I watch plenty of British TV series on a daily basis and my proficiency at switching between "I hereby declare that I find thy conduct disgraceful!" and "it ain't pretty what'ye did there, mate" increases... I wanted to say "exponentially", but I'm gonna settle for "like hell" ;) And common, you've gotta say that 'I hereby declare...' is cuter and much more fun, it's always such a pleasure for me to gild the greyness of everyday reality with a few inordinately flamboyant words!
  • Wish I was posh.
  • I is.

*inhales and napkin flies up to gob*

[quote=ShineDelaNoire]It is indeed great to see content-based quotes, all of them go straight into my collection![/quote]

Do you have any more to share with us, please?
  • Jan, where are you? Ja-an? JAN!!!!!

SDlN, you will get on with Jan like a house on fire.
  • [quote=dora]Do you have any more to share with us, please?[/quote]

Indeed, quotes abound in my realm, here are some recent ones I discovered in Dune:

“Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.”
    “We can say that Maud'Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn."
    “The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.”
    "The man without emotions is the one to fear."
    "The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

All six tomes are basically goldmines as far as memorable quotes are concerned!
  • The man without emotions is a psychopath. Bit obvious that one. Like saying keep off the road, there be cars.
  • Shine - obviously I don't know how many other TBers you are trying to set up 'personal, private, whisperers' relationships with,
    but I will repeat here what I have just whispered - I prefer my conversations on this forum to be open.

The only time I use whisper is when commenting on the OWC entries and when asked to comment on someone's writing.

It other people want to play your games that's their choice.
  • I've been thinking about 'quotes that have changed my life or made me think' and I don't think any one quote has had any effect on me other than to hear them and think, yes, I agree with that.

However, there are books that have - I read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' when I was eleven and that made me think about all sorts of issues very deeply.
  • [quote=Lizy]Shine - obviously I don't know how many other TBers you are trying to set up 'personal, private, whisperers' relationships with,but I will repeat here what I have just whispered - I prefer my conversations on this forum to be open.[/quote]

Sorry, had no idea why and when I should use the whisper option rather than respond openly, I meant no harm, nor was I intent on "playing games", as you put it.
  • [quote=Liz]you will get on with Jan like a house on fire. [/quote] Thank you Liz. Not sure about "the house on fire" quip; current reality is closer to that analogy than is comfortable.

I do, indeed, savour the joy of words with the rhythm that may be achieved by their various conjugations in creating phrases, sentences and more.
    Unfortunately, demands of financial generation impose increasing attention. In recent months, effort has not been reflected by resultant reimbursement. Hence only brief peeks are managed into this wonderful world of imaginative glory.

[quote=ShineDelaNoire]Does one's place of birth determine one's linguistic sensitivity?[/quote]
    Participation is the key ShineDelaNoire. This 'gang' provide superb inspiration, even though there are times when they veil ability under guise of ridicule.
    Not sure any, one, quotation may be credited with garnering effect upon personal action. Nike {the sports wear manufacturer} absorbed a few into their promotional campaigns.
    Perhaps the most relevant, applicable to 'we' hesitant scribes', is "Just Do It".
  • Um...yeah. What they said.