Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Harpers Bazaar Competition Query

edited December 2013 in Writing
Hello first poster here and not sure of the protocol, I assume because I'm new I don't have access to some categories? Anyway I hope it's ok to ask this sort of question here - I need to know if anyone has any more info than what they have on their website, on what's required for the Harpers Bazaar short story competition which closes next Friday. I've written to them but had no reply.

Does anyone know what the rules and conditions of this competition are or is there maybe some sort of standard protocol that entrants follow as a matter of course?

Thanks

Lamplighter

Comments

• For anyone who hasn't seen this one...

http://www.harpersbazaar.co.uk/going-out/who-what-where/short-story-competition

It's entry by e-mail of a story up to 3,000 words. But they haven't specified if you can send it as an attachment or not which isn't helpful.
    Nor have they mentioned anything about who retains copyright of either the winning story or other entries submitted.

Are you on Facebook? They have a UK Facebook page, which might get a quicker response.
  • Hi Lamplighter.

The info on the website is all there is.

[quote=Lamplighter]is there maybe some sort of standard protocol that entrants follow as a matter of course?[/quote]

It's a good idea to use a plain font and have it around 12pt so it's easy to read. Set it out in a normal* fashion - anything fancy will make your story stand out for the wrong reasons. As they've not specified any particular requirements then they're not going to mind about little things such as whether you use single or double quotes for speech so don't worry too much.

*If you've never formatted anything for submission before Google standard mss layout and follow one of the examples.
  • [quote=Carol]they haven't specified if you can send it as an attachment or not which isn't helpful.[/quote] As they haven't specified they aren't too worried, but I'd do both to be sure they can read it.

[quote=Carol]Nor have they mentioned anything about who retains copyright of either the winning story or other entries submitted.[/quote] The author always retains copyright until they sell it or give it up. They haven't made giving up copyright a condition of entry, it will stay with the author.
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks so much for the replies, and so quickly too! Very much appreciated. Also thanks for the tip on using Google formatting.

It seems odd they don't have any conditions and rules, as back in 2010 they had a list a mile long including asking for photos and author biography etc. I actually wanted to know if they would accept multiple entries too, but I assume it's a given that generally - if it's a free entry competition - you can only submit one entry?

Thanks again

Lamplighter

p.s. I checked out their FB page yesterday but there's no mention of the competition, however that's a good suggestion to simply post and ask, will go do that now. Thanks!

p.p.s. Ack looks like you can't post to it, only comment on what's already there.
  • "Entrants should submit an original short story" - I take that to mean just one. If it had said 'their short stories' then multiple entries might have been acceptable.

[quote=Lamplighter]I assume it's a given that generally - if it's a free entry competition - you can only submit one entry?[/quote] That's generally the case.
  • Sometimes magazines put their rules and regs separately at the back, but in this case nothing comes up in their search engine.
    Welcome, Lamplighter! Once you've signed up to TB, you can post anywhere on the forum. No protocols - just have your say.
  • Harper's Bazaar is a Hearst Mag site, sister to the one where I write the advice column, so I've sent them a name-dropping mail asking for further info on your behalf. Not holding my breath - the link to add comments takes me to the bottom of the page where there is nowhere to write such a comment.
  • Thanks again for the replies, and for the welcome, very much appreciated.

Phots Moll yes it makes sense that their using the singular means only one story, just wish they'd spell things out a bit more!

Mrs Bear, thanks for doing that, even if they don't reply, I appreciate the help.

Lamplighter
  • It is unusual for there to be so few rules.
  • edited December 2013
    I've had a reply, though how much use it is is debatable! Ah well, I tried!
    See section 8 re: competitions.

'Please find below the link to the terms and conditions.

Kind regards

The Short Story team'

www.hearst.co.uk/magazines/terms-and-conditions.html
  • That's Hearst's t&c's that cover everything and make your eyes cross and give you a headache...
  • I know - really not tailored to the comp itself. May have to make a complaint!
  • Sorry hadn't checked here for a couple of days - thanks for that Mrs Bear.

I actually spoke to the editor at Hearst Magazines and she didn't know anything about it - all she could do was read out what was already there on the website!

Well I'm about to push the 'send' button in a minute or two, didn't quite make it before 5pm so hope there's someone around their office tomorrow. I have a suspicion that the website details are a relic and that there is no competition anymore, it's a real pain having to wait until next May to find out though!