Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

We MUST write what we know

edited December 2013 in Writing
I believe it's important to write what I know - and I explain why here - http://thepocketeers.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/write-what-you-know_15.html

Do you agree?

Comments

• edited December 2013
    I agree in some ways. Stephen King was a teacher in a school and he wrote about a school in Carrie. It worked for him and countless others. Andy Mcnab to name another.

I've never been a secret agent or a policeman but that doesn't stop me from writing about those things. I think if you do enough accurate research you should be fine. It is an interesting debate with a lot of different opinions.
  • [quote=St Force] if you do enough accurate research you should be fine[/quote]

Most definitely. You don't have to be a murderer to kill a plot.
  • So often the emotions and reactions we experience can be applied to our characters in the past as well as the future.
  • In essence, we all write about people; no matter what our characters are or what they do, they are all basically an extension of ourselves, so in that respect we do all write from knowledge.
    Whether to get inside the head of a villain, we have to have a touch of villainy ourselves, I'll leave up to you.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]You don't have to be a murderer to kill a plot.[/quote] So true!
  • [quote=Mrs Bear]Whether to get inside the head of a villain, we have to have a touch of villainy ourselves, I'll leave up to you.[/quote]

It's getting inside the head of a saint that has its problems.