Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in February 2014's Writing Magazines?

edited December 2013 in - WM and WN
Yes, it's that time again...

Who’s in February 2014's magazine? The magazines probably won’t be in the shops until 3rd January so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and WHICH PAGE; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Remember: if mentioning a story, don’t give away the ending.

Comments

• As there have been, and still to come, public holidays, expect delays on normal delivery times...
  • Have checked the January issue and the in shops date is the 5th.
  • *wonders if Carol knows she's just talking to herself*
  • Maybe Carol has started her New Year celebrations early! Sorry Carol my Jan issue says Feb issue on sale Jan 2nd. (5th is a Sunday).
  • Have we uncovered a plot? Do some lucky regions get their 3 days before the others, AND ON SUNDAY????!!!!
  • [quote=Wilts]Maybe Carol has started her New Year celebrations early! Sorry Carol my Jan issue says Feb issue on sale Jan 2nd. (5th is a Sunday).[/quote]

I picked up the wrong issue- just looked again, and as Wilts says it does say the 2nd, though it will be a surprise if it does arrive on the 2nd. :)
  • It will be a surprise if it arrives on the 2nd but one can hope.
  • i guess it will be the 3 rd dont think theres post on the 2nd?
  • The mail does work on the 2nd but it's unlikely that the magazines will reach us. Just depends on when they went into the postal system.
  • Mine's arrived but I haven't taken it out of the wrapper yet.
  • I got mine! I can see someone mentioned in the letters! Very excited!
  • Haven't had my post.

:(
  • Mine's just arrived!
  • Mine's here but haven't looked at it yet.

Still haven't read last month's actually!
  • Same here - do I begin the one that's just arrived or wait?
  • Yes mine is here, hurray. I had a look at it in WHSmith while I was out shopping.

I saw a familiar face, and the piece about the NWC National Short Story competition that I sent in appears. :)
  • I've got an article 'Lark, Owl or Hummingbird?' on page 49 of the Feb issue, under my 'real' name of Helen Yendall
  • Congratulations, hellymart. :)
  • I took my mag up to read on the bed. I got cold, so climbed under a quilt. I got sleepy, so rested my eyes. I went to sleep, so still haven't finished it.

I did spot your article, hellymart, but will read it when I'm more awake! Congratulations.
  • still a holiday in scotland mine isnt here yet.
  • I have got a short-listed in the Love Story competition.

Glad it didn't win: too embarrassingly autobiographical!
  • Oh, very well done, Spiresgate!
  • Well done Spiresgate and hellymart.
  • Well done Spiregate, that's great.
  • Well done, Spg and hm.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]Mine's here but haven't looked at it yet.Still haven't read last month's actually[/quote]

Mine's here too. But, um, I may be the only one here who's somehow ended up four issues behind. I shall now be taken to the Talkback Village stocks and pelted with broken Kindles.
  • Only four, Tristram? I'm sorry to say I can beat that. Never seem to get to bed early enough to read - I catch up on my reading on spring and summer mornings when the sun wakes me up an hour before the alarm goes off. So now you know why I seldom congratulate people on their appearances in the magazine - I'm not being rude, I just haven't read it yet!
  • Me too I'm afraid, I look at the letters, the 'and another thing' and the odd thing but rarely get to read the big articles any more, leave them for when I have time, and then forget...
  • I've never read a complete issue. And it doesn't sound like I'm alone.
  • Me neither.
    Perhaps we could buy one between us and post it on when we've read the bits we want. Webbo might end up with a pay-cut though...
  • Phew. I don't feel so guilty any more. I can't say I read the magazines in full either; I tend to skip the poetry sections.
  • So do I.
  • The poetry section needs a revamp with fresh faces.
  • It does.
  • I only glance at the poetry section, but I don't write poetry.

But I'm sure many do find it useful.
  • I've been wondering who Webbo's friends are on the first page - photos and bios. They seem to change every month.

Are they on work experience?
  • An occasional Talkbacker will sometimes appear there.
  • But why, Carol, why?
  • First page? What, where, who, why/
  • Because they have contributed articles that appear in that month's magazine, TN.

First page you see when you open the magazine, Liz.
  • still havent got mine really cross now!!!!
  • Mine was waiting for me when I got home this evening. Will read it tonight if I can stay awake!
  • Mine arrived today. I've had a houseful of mums and kids all day but I am looking forward to reading it later with a cuppa. I usually read it in one or two sittings but, like Carol, I glance at poetry sections as it's not something I write.

*beginning to think I must either read too fast or have too much time on my hands. Couldn't possibly not read an issue, I'm usually twitching for the next monthly instalment*
  • edited January 2014
    [quote= Debby]*beginning to think I must either read too fast or have too much time on my hands. Couldn't possibly not read an issue, I'm usually twitching for the next monthly instalment*[/quote]

I've certainly read it by the second week of the month, if not before...
  • :) Good to know I'm not alone!
  • Hmmm. I'm impressed.
  • edited January 2014
    Me too.
  • And there is not much these days in the mag about writing for children.
  • I was reading my copy in bed last night when I spotted my smiling face on WN page 14. As getting my short story collections 'out there' was my ambition for 2013, 'Mission Accomplished' is a very fitting title.
  • Saw you when I was scanning through for recognisable names and faces. Well done montholon.