Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

SI Leeds literary prize

edited January 2014 in Writing
http://sileedsliteraryprize.wordpress.com/
Open until March for unpublished FEMALE black and Asian uk writers. This is in association with Ilkley Literature Festival as far as I know, and the Arts Council.
They are also running a number of workshops that may help.
See their site for more.

Comments

• Have I time to have a sex change and a Jackson skin colour change?
  • I'm in two minds about this. Yes, it's great to encourage new writers, BUT what would be the reaction to, for example, a scheme open only to WHITE people from underprivileged backgrounds?
  • I can see what you mean, montholon.
  • There would be uproar.
  • I dislike all these racist and sexist competitions. I don't understand the need for them - no editor has ever asked me about my skin colour or ethnic background. They may have guessed my sex from my name, but I don't believe it has ever been the cause of my work being rejected.

I wouldn't blame anyone who was eligible for enterring though. We all need as much help as we can get when we're starting out (and afterwards)
  • Odd,isn't it that a competition can be racist and sexist, but try that when advertising a job, and see what happens.
  • Hmmm, I'm never comfortable with these sort of racist/sexist competitions. I looked briefly at the website and it says that this group is 'under-represented on our bookshelves'. I have to question why that is, and even why it matters? If there are few black or Asian female published writers it surely can't be because racism and sexism is practiced by agents and publishers... can it?
  • [quote=claudia] If there are few black or Asian female published writers it surely can't be because racism and sexism is practiced by agents and publishers... can it?[/quote]

Don't think that's very likely when you consider the prominent black female writers there are.

http://www.forharriet.com/2013/02/100-books-by-black-women-everyone-must.html