Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Wondering if it's worth doing?

edited January 2014 in Writing
As a lot of you know I paint animal portraits. Now I've taught a couple of groups and for one did a quick 'How to' that I handed out. I am seriously considering tweaking it and publishing it as a 'How to' ebook. Not sure how viable this is as there are a lot of illustrations.

Any suggestions would be welcome, how hard is it to create an e book with lots of illustrations etc?

Thoughts people?

Comments

• Don't know how hard it is, but I know it can be done.

Have you thought of a paperback version too?

I've seen a CreateSpace book with loads of illustrations and it looked good. I asked the author how difficult it was and she said it was straightforward.
  • I believe creating an ebook with illustrations is a lot more complicated than doing one without. It can be done though and Amazon provide instructions. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Your-Kindle-Direct-Publishing-ebook/dp/B007URVZJ6/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389804276&sr=1-5&keywords=how+to+build+book
  • I suppose it is worth looking at what's available in e-books at the moment.
  • Blurb is supposed to be good for illustrations. If you have an Adobe CS3 up they give you a template and it virtually does itself.
  • I had a couple of 'illustrations' in my kindle books ( I use inverted commas as they weren't necessarily pictures but had to be treated as such). Hubby dealt with all the technological stuff and said that they were a faff - but he still did it!

You are such a good artist, Neph. Have you considered running classes? I'm sure you'd get lots of uptake - and probably make a lot more money than selling a book. Art is such a practical skill and people could learn such a lot from you on the job!.
  • edited January 2014
    Why an e-book rather than a paperback? I think anything relying on lots of illustrations as yours surely must, would work far better in a proper book form and be much easier for 'students' to follow.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.