Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Cambridge Council banning apostrophes

edited January 2014 in Writing
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/councils-to-abolish-apostrophes-on-new-street-signs---because-they-are--potentially-confusing--135239654.html#6DTd9IA

Apostrophes everywhere must be cowering in corners, waiting to be attacked. On the street sign used to illustrate the article, I'd rather remove the " in the abbreviation of Saint. That really is confusing.

Comments

• ridiculous, and probably funded by the makers of street signs who will make a fortune as signs are replaced.
  • Heard this on Radio4 earlier this morning.

*shakes head in dismay*

[quote=Lizy]ridiculous, and probably funded by the makers of street signs who will make a fortune as signs are replaced[/quote]

More likely a reflection of the appalling standard of English by those in charge of getting road signs created...Do they actually know where the apostrophe should go, I wonder?
  • Apostrophes are potentially confusing, especially for emergency services, eh? I guess if they type an apostrophe into there sat navs they might loose there way.
  • ...or even their way
  • their way - yes, your right of course. :)
  • I thought the emergency services were designed to deal with apostrophes. Oh no, wait... that's catastrophes.
  • If they are doing this, there will be punctuation around the country quaking in their boots as they wait to see who will go next.
  • Well, I think it is our duty to carry around a black marker at all times and replace them.

We have a hyphen in our road name, but I swear I am the only one ever to use it.
  • Imagine telling the French they had to lose their apostrophes - half the language would collapse. Of course, then they could stop advertising Jean's for sale (poor man) at clothing outlets. They haven't got to grips with the Anglo Saxon version, only the one where you drop a letter before a vowel - l’église. It's there to commemorate the passing out of a letter, but the one before the apostrophe, not the one after it as in English - that's, there's. Complicated when you work with two languages.
    A place for an apostrophe, and every apostrophe in its place!
  • [quote=Mrs Bear]A place for an apostrophe, and every apostrophe in its place! [/quote] - I agree! Now I am off to by some potatoe's! ;)