Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Anyone tried a photojouranlism piece?

edited February 2014 in Writing
Whilst visiting a city recently I had time to kill and walked around taking shots of things that I found of interest and some pics of more random items I came across which I realised had a common link (not tourism related). Looking through there seems scope for an article but it would really only work with the pictures as the focus, not simply as illustration. I wondered, has anyone here tried submitting this type of srticle and if so how did they go about presenting it to the editor?

Comments

• Only done that kind of thing on my blog, Wordy, but I suppose you could phone or email the ed of a magazine you had in mind and ask. Or Google it, of course.
  • I've pitched articles and mentioned I have photos and then, when the article's been sent (after commission and writing it, of course), the photos have been sent on a CD.
  • BB That is how I usually set about submitting a query but wondered if I needed to do anything different where the pictures drive the article rather than the other way around.

Lizy, you are right. I need to contact the editor of my target magazine to see how he would want things done.

Basically I was just a little uncertain on this occasion about making a pitch. Usually it is a case of saying I have in mind a piece and giving a short outline but without the pictures it sounds a bit flat. Maybe send a couple of thumbnails along too to help the pitch.

Thanks for your help.
  • "BB That is how I usually set about submitting a query but wondered if I needed to do anything different where the pictures drive the article rather than the other way around."

I would stress, in the pitch, what images you have and their importance to the piece as a whole. You might offer to send them before receiving the commission, so they are reassured as to the quality.
  • Good point BB. Most of my articles are illustrated with my own photos so shouldn't be a quality issue but this would be angled at a title new to me so need to get it right first time.