Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My first competition entry

edited April 2014 in Writing
I bought last months copy of Writing and saw the Open competition of no more than 750 words.

I've never entered a writing competition before so thought ai'd give this a go. I was just wondering if I could get some advice. Does the word count need to be exactly 750 words or can it be a couple less? Also could I post my first paragraph on here for you all to critique or is that breaking rules?

Comments

• Maximum 750 words. I'll let Webbo answer the second question.
  • 750 is the limit, so anything under that is fine. However, I have noticed that they don't seem to go for very short ones, so maybe best to be within the 650-750 range (though that's my opinion, not the rules!)

If you were going to post on here, then you would have to make sure it was a private thread, or it would be considered published. I'm not sure it's a very good idea though, as people on this forum are also potentially going to enter the same competition. Not that I think anyone on here would plagiarise or anything - it just seems possibly a bit incestuous! (Again, just my opinion.)
  • If you were going to post on here, then you would have to make sure it was a private thread, or it would be considered published. I'm not sure it's a very good idea though, as people on this forum are also potentially going to enter the same competition. Not that I think anyone on here would plagiarise or anything - it just seems possibly a bit incestuous! (Again, just my opinion.)
    Thanks Heather. That's all I needed to know. I'll keep it to myself, edit it a few times then send it off :)
  • Good luck!
  • I dunno – I heard a guy sent in a submission of 749 words and they set fire to him and shot him out of a cannon. Best to play it safe and write exactly 750 words, even if that means cutting off your story in the middle of a
  • Ignore BR, WEngland, the MOD refused permission to use the cannon in a built-up area. Anyway, I have a 750 worder just waiting for the final tart-up before I fire it off, so there's really only the minor placings to aim for. Do you really want to waste the postage?
  • Is there a gauntlet being thrown?

*finds dustpan and brush*
  • edited April 2014
    Ignore BR, WEngland, the MOD refused permission to use the cannon in a built-up area. Anyway, I have a 750 worder just waiting for the final tart-up before I fire it off, so there's really only the minor placings to aim for. Do you really want to waste the postage?
    Don't worry I saved on the postage and sent it online ;)

So chuffed to have wrote my first ever short story! Even if I don't win I'm pleased with myself for completing something. Going to try and write a bit more of my novel later :)

• Good luck!
  • Good luck, WE :)
  • Good luck, WE.
  • So chuffed ... Even if I don't win I'm pleased with myself for completing something.
    That is a very good example of why 'our' One Word Challenge should deserves to continue. {I know; I know; I'm trying to develop an opening sentence idea but I will submit something .... soon}

Good Luck with your efforts WEngland.

• Onwards and upwards, WE.

Don't forget to keep a note of everything you enter - with dates.
  • Good luck, WE. :)>-
  • Onwards and upwards, WE.

Don't forget to keep a note of everything you enter - with dates.
    Oh whys that Nell?

• When you start entering a lot of writing comps at the same time, it's handy to keep details of which stories/poems you have entered for which competitions, as well as closing dates and dates when results are announced. That way, you can keep track of everything and re-enter your work for other competitions when results days of prior comps have passed. If you were to enter the same piece for two consecutive competitions and it was placed in one, that would invalidate the other entry. Also, once it is published, usually you wouldn't be allowed to enter that piece anywhere else again.

Sorry, I'm waffling a bit as I'm tired.

I have a notebook and I start a new page for each month. Whenever I enter a writing competition, I jot down the details of it under that month. You don't always get informed of results, so it's useful to know when they are announced so that you can check websites for shortlists.