Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

WELCOME BACK

Comments

• Sorry PM - looks like there is an error there. Shouldn't be too complicated, that one.
  • edited March 2014
    Thanks for sticking the OWC thread.
  • Argh??!

I've been away far too long and I come back and everything has changed??
  • Argh??!

I've been away far too long and I come back and everything has changed??
    Just be grateful you didn't have to live through the initial teething troubles!

• There were tears and tantrums, but finally we calmed Webbo down.

:-*
  • edited March 2014
    There were tears and tantrums, but finally we calmed Webbo down.

:-*
    After all, there were enough dummies around.

• If I refresh the page the bloomin site sends me back to the front page instead of to the last comment posted, which often comes to me by mail rather than appearing on the site, so I refresh to see it on the page...

And I still get sent to the old page before getting the new one if I click on the link in the mail, despite having the proper page in my memory...
  • And another thing - if I am sent a thing to say someone has commented on a thread I'm following, the thread is not marked as unread so I have no idea which thread it is, even if i don't go through the procedure above...
  • The title of this thread is appropriate again!
    I have been locked out of TB - indeed the whole WM site - for days and I have only just found the instructions on FB on how to get back in.

\:D/ (I think this little chap is dancing?)
  • Ain't it good to be back?

8-}
  • A new problem (to me at least). Someone sent me a private message yesterday. After I'd read it I returned to discussions, but inbox still had a "1" alongside it. I went back into the message and clicked on "Mark All Viewed". Inbox still has a "1" alongside it, but all the discussions are now marked as viewed!

It's not really a problem that the discussions are marked as viewed - I was up to date with the ones I'm interested in - but I thought that clicking on that link while in my inbox would mark the messages as viewed rather than the discussions.
  • I've noticed that when I've received messages it will show as 1 beside both my name and inbox.

When I've read the message, I go to the other one (still showing the 1) and then back out. Then they have both gone.
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Carol. Didn't work :(.
  • I've noticed that when I've received messages it will show as 1 beside both my name and inbox.

When I've read the message, I go to the other one (still showing the 1) and then back out. Then they have both gone.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Carol. Didn't work :(.
    I think you actually have to click on the sender's name to lose the little red number in both places.

• That worked :). Thanks.
  • "I think you actually have to click on the sender's name to lose the little red number in both places."

Sorry for not saying that.
  • I'd give it a go but I don't get any messages. ~:>
  • Hi Webbo
    Hope you don't mind these questions:
    Has the Search facility to find someone's personal page disappeared forever - or is it something that will eventually be reinstated?
    Has the facility to open a thread where we last left it disappeared forever? I know it's something you were working on - just wondering/hoping it will return to that system as it's such a pain scrolling down lists of posts trying to find where I left off.
    Pretty please?
  • edited April 2014
    I second those questions Claudia especially the second one!! Pretty pretty please? And why are we now getting spam, are they spam? posts now. We didn't before did we?
  • Ditto - it's increasingly annoying to be scrolling down through weeks of comments I've already read to et to the latest ones. Please, if it's at all possible, can you fix this?

:x
  • Not at all Claudia! In turn:
    • The search facility (I know it's not as adequate as the previous, almost-adequate one) is probably pretty much what we're stuck with. However, to find someone's personal page, you can just click their name, and then view comments added, threads started, etc, using the tabs at the top. Is there a different usage that I'm missing?
    • The "jump to last post" feature is definitely one I want to get working again. It is, however, universally broken in this forum type. I know of a possible workaround but it is very very time intensive.
    One of our full time web developers has now left the company, leaving us in the unenviable position of having me as the person who seems to know most about this forum setup. Despite my best intentions, I'm not really a developer and have one or two other commitments myself so progress is very slow, and likely to stay slow for quite a while. But it hasn't stopped entirely.
    • We are getting more spam than we used to under the old system, but it really is just a case of ignore it and it'll go away, as soon as I get onto the system and delete it!
  • Do you have to 'buy' the rights to these forums? Or do you 'rent'? how do you choose one?

Tbh, I don't like this one very much. It feels old-fashioned, and doesn't have the abilities of the old one.

I frequent some fabulous forums out there... used by literally thousands of people but still able to cope, surely this can't be the only choice?
  • I may be in the minority here, but I like it. I can search for what I need and I seem to have absorbed the niggles. Maybe it's all the camomile tea I drink?
  • There are all sorts of different options Liz. You can buy one off the shelf, or have it hosted separately (the most expensive option). This one is open source, which means it's free but well updated because anyone can contribute fixes or add ons, and can be customised to our needs – in theory. This is the updated version of the forum software that we had for several years until it keeled over a few months ago, and unfortunately, it IS the only choice unless we choose to lose all our existing comments and threads and have you all re-register from scratch! Thought this approach was the lesser of two evils.
  • Certainly is the better option in that case, Webbo.

I know it's irritating at times, but at least we have the forum in some form.

I can work my way around what I need, so it may just be that if you use a lot of other forums, discussions groups, you might find this one unsatisfactory in comparison.

I now use the page down button to get to the bottom of the thread- quicker than scrolling.
  • Thanks for your responses, Webbo.
    The search facility does indeed work by clicking on someone's name - it's just that I was looking for someone who hasn't been around recently, so couldn't find their name on any of the recent threads, making it very time consuming to go back to old threads they may or may not have contributed to in order to click on their name.

As for the other problem - I will try to be patient - but if I'm brutally honest, I don't use talkback as much these days because I find it very frustrating, and I wish that wasn't the case. :(

As for changing to a new system... nooooooooooo!

Carol's just posted while I was typing... I don't have a 'page down' button - I have to scroll. And even if I did - that wouldn't take me to my last read post would it?
  • To be honest, I'm not a heavy forum user anywhere else, but there are still things that annoy me a lot about this system! So don't imagine me sitting here thinking it's all okay. I'm probably as frustrated as most of you, if not more so!
  • Sorry Claudia, forgot your laptop might not have that option.
  • Sorry Claudia, we crossed!
    I can help you find an older user if that's any help. Just whisper me their name... oh no, wait! Send me a direct message or email me and I'll fish the details out for you.

You're right, "end of page" will happily skip right past your last read comment to the most recent, but, in combination with "page up"/"page down" might be slightly more efficient than scrolling.

• You're right, "end of page" will happily skip right past your last read comment to the most recent, but, in combination with "page up"/"page down" might be slightly more efficient than scrolling.
    That's what I do.

• Thanks for the offer, Webbo - but I did eventually find them over the weekend! :)
  • I use 'page down' too, but if there've been loads of posts since I last visited, such as when two people have a jokey chat, it takes ages to hop back to my last remark and see what's been going on.

Webbo - I shall have to alter my mental picture of you in a silk dressing gown on a chaise longue sipping Earl Grey. :)
  • Oh no Lizy, that is my default state!
  • Lol!

Thanks for that explanation, Webbo.

I don't find the pages that hard to scroll down, but i do have a mouse where you just touch anywhere and stroke down and it goes down. And also, it just struck me, because i have the type set very big, there aren't that many comments on each 'page'. Is that just me?
  • Yes that's just you , Liz. :)
  • Sorry I've not scrolled through all the stuff above.

Thank you Webbo for making TB work again but are you aware the search facility isn't very good? I tried searching for threads recently and nothing happens.
  • Webbo, has this Heartbleed thing got any implications for the writers online website, and Talkback?

• I'm looking for Rita Fairclough's face.

A thread entitled that btw.
  • I like the clapping person!
  • I'd like him more if I could see him without a magnifying glass!
  • The little people are too small.
  • People can never be too small, Stan.

I'm thinking of asking Webbo to put me inside the box of smileys.