Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in June 2014's Writing Magazine's...

edited April 2014 in - WM and WN
Yes, it's that time again...

Who'’s in June 2014's magazine? The magazines probably won’t be in the shops until 2nd May so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and WHICH PAGE; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Remember: if mentioning a story, don’t give away the ending.

Comments

• Sorry I thought the magazine was due next week... #-o

Just got in and found it in the pile of post. :-\"
  • Spotted someone from TB already!
  • Spotted several that I know!
  • Sounds like a bumper month. Good.
  • Mine waiting for me when I got home this evening. Had a skim through it. Looks really good and I'm looking forward to reading it tonight.
  • edited April 2014
    Has anyone had a look at the freebie from Just Write? I nipped to their website and it's a bit of a joke - links not working and typos.

"Fr more than 175 years we’ve been working with authors to craft and finesse their writing and polish thier books."

:(

http://www.tyjustwrite.com/index.php/about-us/

From their Facebook page:

"The Creative Writing Community is so nearly here! Who's excited to be apart of a community where you can share experiences, tips and progress, and draw on the expertise of the Teach Yourself Creative Writing Team?"

Webbo - it reflects badly on your magazine.

And you should flog the person who accepted the cartoon on page 7.

*growls*
  • No!

That's terrible.
  • That is bad...:(
  • I was going to bed, but I keep reading...

"We publish a diverse range of creative writing books that over eveything from novels..."

"Whether you are just beginning to hink about becoming a writer..."

I've just subscribed to their PDF version of the booklet and this is the email I received:

"To celebrate the launch, we invite you to put aside ten minutes a day, for seven says and join us in trying some simple exercises with our free digital sampler."
  • I think you should offer your services, Baggy!

Just had a flick through WM/WN and saw one name I definitely recognised mentioned twice - and I think I might recognise another TBer, but I don't know the surname.

I might get myself a Bingo pen from the Pound Shop.
  • Very happy to see some fellow Swanwickers in there; Maureen Jeffs with her winning story and Andy Cain serenading Stella Whitelaw with his guitar! Can't wait to see them and all the rest of the Swanwick gang again in August.
  • Pleased to see my letter published, sadly not the winner. I am pleased to see my report on our new creative writing group of U3A there, and know they'll be chuffed to read it next time we meet
  • Spotted both of those - well done!
  • Same here - well done!
  • edited May 2014

Webbo - it reflects badly on your magazine.
    As you might have realised, we weren't involved with the production of the guide, but would be wise to insist on that if we were doing another - although mistakes on their website and Facebook are obviously beyond our control.
  • No, I realise it's all beyond your control. I haven't read the guide, the errors are on their site. It does seem a tad rushed, which is a shame because they will be attracting a lot of traffic via your magazine.

• They certainly will!
    We've flagged up those errors to them anyway. I know it was a semi-flippant suggestion from Nell, but why not suggest yourself? You never know...
  • Not sure if I'd want to be responsible for sorting it out - looks like a big job.

;)
  • Well done tooth light!
  • Well done Toothlight. :)
  • I noticed a Talkbacker mentioned in someone's missive on the letter page. :)
  • I noticed him too.

;)
  • Oh, yes. Saw that. He hasn't been around for a while.
  • On WN3 I saw a piece on the Children's Book Market highlighting a new children's book imprint - Plurus Books. Noted they accept submissions directly. I've a kids' novel for 7-9 yr olds so I thought Oh what the heck. Let's send an email to Pat Shepherd according to the guidelines required. You could have knocked me over with a Writing Magazine free biro when I had a personal email back from her that evening. I initially thought it might have been a standard reply just with Dear Malcolm inserted( oh what a cynic I am) but in the text was a reference to something I'd said ... so yes it was at least personalized. Impressed. Be even more im'pressed' - in fact flattened if ever she asked to see the complete novel.
  • @ M.Welshman. I wasn't surprised to get a rejection (standard) from Anderson, but what did annoy me was 1.no date. 2.no human signature. I WAS surprised they bothered to put a stamp on the envelope!
  • Well done, Malcolm. How rewarding! Fingers crossed for you.
  • The May thread is getting more attention than the June one.

I haven't had time to read my copy yet, but there looked to be some good articles again.
  • I've just got round to reading the June issue and was pleasantly surprised to see my name mentioned in a letter, especially as it was referring to my article from a year ago.
  • Well done DB.
  • Better late than never, DB. Well done!
  • well done DB!