Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Research help please

edited July 2014 in - WM and WN
I am new to writing and I was looking for some help. I love the paranormal, yes I know it's not for everyone but I love it. I just don't know how to go about researching it, or any story. Well I hope you guys can help.
Tagged:

Comments

• If you have a story in mind it's as simple as Googling the terms. Obviously you'll have to sift through the nonsense to get to the good stuff but the only way you learn that is to practice, practice, practice. If you give us some more details I might be able to point you in roughly the right direction

Your friendly neighbourhood horror author.
  • Practise.
  • As you mention research, I'm guessing you want to write non fiction on the subject? It might be a good plan to concentrate on one, little known event at first. Could you ask, or even advertise locally? The person who witnessed/experienced it might be willing to talk to you about it.
  • Well if you want to write about real happenings - things people have actually witnessed/experienced, you need to find the write-ups, documented details etc. maybe on the Internet. If they are real then there is no copyright on facts so you take the facts and write them up again in your own words putting your own slant/voice on things.
  • Hi Macca - have you googled 'paranormal magazines'? I just did so and found several leads. I know nothing about this subject, but that's where I'd start if I wanted to research the subject... :)
  • Or speak to a medium?
  • Do you read a lot of paranormal fiction? That's the place to start, if that's what you want to write. If you got to Amazon and choose books, then type paranormal in the search box, it will come up with all sorts of possibilities. You don't have to buy them; you can just read the blurbs which will give you ideas.
  • I would say, as others have, a quick google for paranormal stories is a good starting point. It all depends on what you want to write about - is it a particular type of event, or do you want to make it about a certain geographical area?